PC world - double check their prices

Bernie B
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi- Hope this appropriate, sort of half a complaint/half advice.

Our insurance company gave us Currys/PCW vouchers to replace a damaged laptop. We were gutted that we had to take our custom to PCW (having had a terrible experience from them years ago), but swallowed our pride and checked out the website to pick a new laptop.

Found a Compaq Presario (C542EA) with an instore price of £499 that we decided to go for. Went to the store an hour later, and were shocked to see it for sale at £599.

When we finally got hold of a salesperson we queried the price. He tried to fob us of with, 'maybe you made a mistake and £499 was the web price', but we insisted we were right and he went of to check with someone.

Lo and behold, 3 minutes later he returned, said we were right and changed the price on the ticket with a pen! Hey presto - instant instore £100 saving :D

Assume if we hadn't checked on line, PCW would have had the extra £100 off us, not to mention the £100s of uneeded/overpriced extras, that because my other half is an IT wizz we were able to fob off or knew we could buy far cheaper elsewhere.

Of course, now having read a lot of the posts in this thread, we waiting in dread for it to break down the day after the warranty runs out....;-)

Bernie.

:D:D:DHalifax settled in full:

£562 in charges

06/02/07 - Sent preliminary letter recorded delivery to branch.

10/02/07 - Recieved 'passed to complaints dept' letter from

branch assistant manager.

20/02/07 - Sent LBA recorded delivery to branch.

22/02/07 - Recieved letter from complaints dept offering £444.

Called in person to reject and was offered full amount there and then. Posted back amended acceptance form.

:)Donated 5% of money recieved because I would never have got my money back without this site - please do the same when (not if!) you get yours back too

Bit of advice, you do not have to accept the insurance companys vouchers.

Tell them you don't want to deal with PCWorld/curry/dixons etc, and go to an independant dealer.

Pref one who is a member of NASCR.

I don't always believe what I say, I'm just playing Devils Advocate

Darn, knew I should've checked here first. Will know for next time and remember CAG is here for more than just bank charges advice ;)

:D:D:DHalifax settled in full:

£562 in charges

06/02/07 - Sent preliminary letter recorded delivery to branch.

10/02/07 - Recieved 'passed to complaints dept' letter from

branch assistant manager.

20/02/07 - Sent LBA recorded delivery to branch.

22/02/07 - Recieved letter from complaints dept offering £444.

Called in person to reject and was offered full amount there and then. Posted back amended acceptance form.

:)Donated 5% of money recieved because I would never have got my money back without this site - please do the same when (not if!) you get yours back too

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes we miss labels, it happens in all stores and it is ALWAYS worthwhile checking prices on the website or whatever when you are buying high ticket price items. Was the price coming up when scanned into the computer, or was the guy just quoting from the label on the item? It would probably been a surprise for him too!

If the guy was just quoting the price straight off the label, then he wasn't a very good floor assistant. A good floor assistant ascertains from where the customer thinks they got the different price, then checks that source, then scans through the till/checks the system. Just quoting shows the customer that you're either lazy or not bothered. In my many years of experience in retail, I've found 'my way' to be the most customer-based solution, and often the quickest, too.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Yeh I fully agree, was just trying to show that the customer advisor may not have been doing it strictly for the purposes of ripping someone off :)

Never ascribe to conspiracy that which may be adequately explained by stupidity