• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sif - Made Claim... Now Offer ****WON****

sif
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. New to this so bear with me.

Right done all the process. Statements etc . Requested £2800 in charges. No reply. Requested again. No reply. Done MCOL for £3800 plus interest etc. Now had offer from bank for full amount NOT including interest etc. Sent them redcorded delivery letter saying would accept as partial payment and would call off claim if they paid in full. No reply as yet. DID I DO RIGHT. Also Cobbets 28 days was up today and they have filed a defence. Waiting for this paperwork now. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW. Do you think I should continue or should I just write back and accept the £2800.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi sif

i had the same as you (received offer no interest or costs), the next week i received a cheque for the full amount from cobbets, dated 21 days before i got it, so if all goes the same you should receive a cheque soon

I won £5289 heres how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/40703-saint-luco-natwest.html

ITS NOT WHETHER YOU WON OR LOST, BUT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME THAT MATTERS. ( OBVIOUSLY A LOSER THEN):D :D :D

Thanks for that .............. makes me feel a bit more confident. Must admit very tempting to take there offer. We will just have to wait and see. Thanks..

Yes I did. Saturday morning. I sent letter back (recorded delivery) on Monday saying will aceept as partial payment etc etc. Cobbets last day for defence is today and as usual they have filed at last min. Did you get your cheque straight away or did you have to do the allocation questionaires etc first.

i had the aq but didnt have to file it, so just hang in there you'll probably get there defence first then the aq then the cheque, if they act the same as they did with me but in my opinion and thats mine only, the postman will be knocking on your door this saturday

I won £5289 heres how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/40703-saint-luco-natwest.html

ITS NOT WHETHER YOU WON OR LOST, BUT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME THAT MATTERS. ( OBVIOUSLY A LOSER THEN):D :D :D

Interesting.. I hope you are right and the nice postie brings me a big fat cheque. If not, do you reckon I leave it till the very last minute to send my AQ (recorded delivery of course). Thanks for your help. Looking through the threads most people have had there offers before MCOL - it is reassuring to know that someone has been in the same boat as me. Congratulations on your pay out..

i would hold the aq or you have to send another letter asking for £100,

but i bet it dosnt get that far, i take it you just read my thread, at times it is squeezy buttocks time wondering if you've done the right thing, but as you see it all comes good in the end, when you receive the defence post it on here let us have a look ( and laugh ) and you'll get all the help you need,

I won £5289 heres how

sif,

Absolutely spot on. They will pay you your claim with interest .They have tried this [problem] on so many people.Nat West will not enter a court room to defend their charges because they will have to disclose there true costs. You are on the home

stretch . Good luck beerchug.gif

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Right I have received my AQ today and my CPR18. Should I just send the CPR Part 18 letter for now and keep the AQ until nearer my deadline.

hi sif I filed my claim at court last week and I received a offer for £2221 today however now i have filed at court my claim is now £2907 so I have sent mr Higley a letter today just as you did and accepted as a partial offer so I am all jittery aswell thinking have I done the right thing:o

SARS letter sent 02/10/06

Statements received 14/10/06

LBA letter sent 05/01/07

reply received 13/01/07

Hi Amelia........ hopefully we have done the right thing. Just keep our fingers crossed. Going to do my CPR letter now ... just looking for a sample letter.

Hi, Can anyone help me. My defence has arrived and seems standard to eveyone elses, apart form paragraph 2 which reads:

Without prejudice to the non-admission set out in the foregoing paragraph, if and to the extent that the Claimant proves the allegation that the Defendant debited charges to the Claimant's bank account, insofar as such charges were debited on a date or dates more than six years prior to the issue of this claim, any remedy in respect of the same, whether damages, restitution or otherwise, is barred by the operation of the Limitation Act 1980 and or the doctrine of laches and the Defedant will aplly to strike out this aspect of the claim and or for summary judgment.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN ..................... PLEASE HELP?????

Basically they are referring to penalty charges which fall otside the scope of the six year Limitation Act. They are stating that your claim goes beyond six years and they will try to get this period struck out.

If it's anything like my claim I had the same scenario, they deem the six year period to start from when you issued your claim through the court, but my feelings are that the six year period actually starts from the date you notified the bank of your intentions to reclaim the charges ie the preliminary letter date.

I argued this factor and managed to get settlement for the period which I originally stated, so can't see it being any different in your case either.

• Haha 1

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

I did write them a letter but it was also rejecting an offer they made at the time, you could use the basis of the letter but will need to amend certain points as there was no offer in your situation.

Thank you for your letter dated XXth xxxxxxx 2006.

I first contacted your client regarding their unlawful charges on xxth xxxxxxx 2006 and therefore disagree with your contention that some of these charges fall outside the scope of the Limitations Act 1980. However I am happy to let the court decide on this matter.

Your client should consider themselves fortunate I have not claimed charges going further back, since I believe that any limitation would be overturned under the terms of section 32 of the Limitations Act, due to their continued "concealment" of the facts that their charges are unlawful, or for relief from a "mistake".

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, interest and court fees, which together with the daily rate of £0.XX now total £xxxx as of XXth xxxxxxx 2006

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder.

I will be willing to withdraw my claim upon receipt of unconditional full settlement of my claim.

I am also not prepared to agree to any confidentiality clauses you try to impose, unless of course your client wishes to make an offer of due consideration in addition to the amount of £xxxxx, in order to be afforded this privilege by myself.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Thanks for that lettter. It certainly helps when you know other people are going through the same thing as yourself.

ANyway just looking through defence again and I am a bit puzzled on two paragraphs. What do they mean and what should I do.

3 No admissions are made as to what charges have been debited to the Claimants bank account.

4 The Claimant refers under pargraph 3 of the POC to having provided the Defendant with a copy of list of charges. The Defendant has not received a copy of this list as part of the claim. The claimant is therefore put to strict proof of each and every charge the subject of the claim and must identify in respect of each charge (a) the date the same was debited (b) the amount of the same and © the description applied to the charge.

I filed my claim on line with MCOL> and sent copies to the bank, cobbets and the court. PLEASE HELP SOMEONE> Does this mean I won't be paid out.

Thanks

3. We're not admitting what we charged you and when.

4. You've got to prove we charged you.

This doesn't mean you won't get paid, all it means is if it gets to court you'd need to provide copies of the relevant statements/list of charges.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

Thank you.. Feel relieved now. Time is going so ssssssssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy now. Just playing the waiting game.

Does this mean I won't be paid out.

Of course not. This is all standard guff.

Concentrate on the AQ:

Allocation Questionnaires - A guide to completion

Allocation Questionnaires - A guide to completion

Allocation Questionnaire - Draft directions order

New strategy for Allocation Questionaires

sif,

Absolutely normal defence. Cobbetts are just trying to scare you. No need to do anything. Next, you will receive an allocation questionaire from the court or a nice cheque from cobblers. ;)

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Hiya Parkvale. You are such a reassuring star. Received AQ, but was gonna hold onto it for as long as possible just in case a nicy juicy cheque came through my letterbox. What do you think.