• Tweets

• they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
    • Please provide advice on the following situation: I rented out my property to four students for 16 months until March 2024. Initially, the property was in very good condition, but now it needs extensive renovation. This includes redoing the bathroom, replacing the kitchen, removing wallpaper, and redecorating due to significant mould growth. The tenants also left their furniture on the grass, which is owned by the local authority. As a landlord, I've met all legal requirements. It seems the damage was caused by poor ventilation—windows were always closed, and heating wasn't used. There was also a bathroom leak fixed by reapplying silicone. I tried to claim insurance, but it was denied, citing tenant behaviour as the cause by looking at the photos, which isn't covered. The deposit barely covers the repair costs, or else I'll have to pursue money claims, which I've never done before and am unsure about its legal complications or costs. Any thoughts on this?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Emma vs Student Loans Company

emmaf01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Nurseslayer! I am very interested in what you're up to with this, as I have 4 pre-1998 SLC loans which, due to illhealth/disability have accumulated nearly £2K in charges alone. Every years I defer apart from 2 years when I was unable to gather the info they needed- specifically because I was too ill.

Their methods of debt recovery are continous, harassing and they have taken money which they were not authorised to take from my bank account. The charges are increasing.

Any way I could get these charges reduced would be a joy- they even stopped me going back to university when I was offered a place!

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Emma, I would recommend that you make a decision as to which avenue you are going to take against them. You can either go for trying to get the debt made unenforceable by using the CCA 1974 route which is what I am trying to do, there is alot of risk in this as there seem to be many conflicting pieces of legislation and very little case law. Or you can follow the route of getting the charges refunded as they are over the £12.50 that the OFT said would be unlawful.

I see from your signature that you are already taking action against some of the banks about unlawful charges - apparently this would be exactly the same against the SLC.

I'd also suggest that you try to get in touch with the NUS treasurer who has kindly posted on this thread as he may be very interested in your case. The SLC (in my opinion) should not be able to stop people from attending university.

As for taking money from your bank account that sounds wrong to me! Again check with others on here but if it was via Direct Debit there are very specific rules about what they can and can't do.

Whichever route you decide to take act fast. The quicker you can start against them the sooner that you can truthfully state that the account is in dispute and thus get them from stopping harassing you until the matter is resolved.

I hope this helps. All the best. Nurselayer

Nurselayer v Natwest - Settled in Full :D

Thanks Nurseslayer.

I phoned SLC yesterday, asked them for all the info they had on my accounts. As it was the debt department they asked if I would be paying the arrears/charges- I said I had to go over the info with my advisors to assess the financial situation before I could decide on how to proceed.

Nice man then asked how far back I wanted- so I'll be getting info from before 6 years ago!

So I'm looking forward to seeing what I get. Have to keep it quiet though- husband is now accusing me of being obsessed.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I would also send a Subject Access Request to them too, Emma.

It's ok to request and them to  agree to send you this info but if they miss out any of it then there is no comeback against them.

If you issue a SAR they have to send you the information by law.

I'd recommend that you wait for the information that you've been promised to arrive, then issue a SAR under the DPA and then follow the steps as you would for claiming back charges from a bank. If you are unclear on any of this then read up on it on the site, if you are still unclear then feel free to ask.

Why not also set up your own thead - Emma vs Student Loans Co, that way people will be able to see how you are getting on.

Nurselayer v Natwest - Settled in Full :D

Thanks Nurseslayer. I'll do that. I've got to wait to do a SAR- need to gather my pennies for the £10!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 3 months later...

Well, I've sent of my SAR, my CCA request and £11.

Sent recorded delivery- which I now can't track on the Royal Mail site for reasons unknown. Anyway, sent on the 1st March.

They did say last week they would be sending me information in which the OFT said their charges were fair- funnily enough this has not materialised, and I would be surprised if it ever does!

So, the battle begins- pity we can't get rid of the "arrears" they shove onto the account at the slightest opportunity!:-o

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Emma

Why can't something be done about the arrears? Surely these are disproportionate charges too?

If I have helped tip my scales:)

I am not a legal eagle, professional accountant, [problem] artist or axe murder so please bear in mind that my advice is just that advice from someone in the same boat as you.......

Claims:

Lloyds TSB Acct 1 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'d/Statements received/£2500ish to be claimed + contractual interest

Lloyds TSB Acct 2 - *WON* over £5K won with compond CI at 28.9%

Lloyds TSB PPI *WON* - CCA'd/They cant find agreement/£2650 awarded

Halifax TSB Closed account issues*WON* - £610 in compensation for an account closed with £10 in it!

Student Loans - 20 Feb 07 CCA'd/on back burner for now

Hmmm seems Im on the right end of winning, God that feels GOOD!

I did not think so- unless anyone knows better?

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 3 weeks later...

Got a letter from SLC. It is only regarding the SAR.

So I rang up.They have ignored my prelim, and ignored the CCA request on my SAR, in fact using the £1 included with the SAR and CCA to credit to my account. Argh.

So I've composed a combined lba and bringing to their notice the CCA, which is rapidly running out.

Any ideas- I spoke to someone who was far from clued up at the SLC call centre, and she has promised to email the relavent department at the SLC- but, needless to say, I am not holding my breathe, hence the letter.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

They have defaulted on the CCA!!!!

Serves them right for completely ignoring it, incompetant fools!

Well, this looks like it will be a lot of fun from now on....

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

I have a really good letter now composed to send by special delivery tomorrow.

He he he he...

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Yes, I've finally lost it and am muttering gollum-like about how much I hates-es them.

Husband will probably call the men in white coats soon.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

URGENT HELP NEEDED

So, I've spoken to the SLC. They are trying to say that

1) The CCA 1974 has no time limit for how long they take to supply me with the original loan agreements

2) As I sent the request to 100 Bothwell Street, and not the specific department who deals with the requests, and this dept didn't receieve the requests until 15/03/07 (instead of the 5/3/07 when the recorded delivery was received), the request only goes from the 15/03/07.

So HELP- is any of this true?

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Emma,

Take deep breath......in......and out!

Firstly

The CCA 1974 has no time limit for how long they take to supply me with the original loan agreements

B@llocks! Your loans are pre 1998 so as far as I am aware and for what I have read stuff em

Secondly

As I sent the request to 100 Bothwell Street, and not the specific department who deals with the requests, and this dept didn't receieve the requests until 15/03/07 (instead of the 5/3/07 when the recorded delivery was received), the request only goes from the 15/03/07.

Utter B@llocks!!!! The request was received at the office which they give you for the address. IT IS NOT YOUR CONCERN, or the laws that they are inept and their administration cr@p!!!

Use your recorded delivery date!!!!! I wouldnt phone them and argue this until they have committed a crime against the CCA which is 12 working days and 1 calander month. So hang fire and get ready to "unleash Hell!"

Gooders

I am not a legal eagle, professional accountant, [problem] artist or axe murder so please bear in mind that my advice is just that advice from someone in the same boat as you.......

Claims:

Lloyds TSB Acct 1 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'d/Statements received/£2500ish to be claimed + contractual interest

Halifax TSB Closed account issues*WON* - £610 in compensation for an account closed with £10 in it!

Thanks, Gooders!

Yep, after the phonecall this afternoon, there are a few flies with blue rears chasing paperwok in the SLC!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Emma,

Personally Im quite happy for them to do nothing up to 8 April. I hope they arent now looking for my paperwork too:wink:

Lets get this right,......and I have asked un1boy to clarify his statement last night because there is no basis for what he said about all student loans not being covered by the CCA. We know that to be untrue. With both our cases they are in default great! our position is stronger. But not the strongest it can be. If they are in default they can still produce the document after say 12 wds + 1 calander month (-1 day) then they would no longer be in default and payments would have to start again. What I want is form them not to pass me the details and break the law, then my position goes from strong (whilst in default) to practically untouchable!!!!!

in my eyes the very least getting your debt wiped out and with a good clam on all payments made so far.

Gooders

Claims:

We can but hope!

I just like the thought of them running around!

No sign of the promised agreements so far.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Right, I got copies of the credit agreements today but one seems to be incorrect as it only has my signature- no corresponding signature on behalf of the SLC.

I am sure this means the CCA has not been actioned until I have a copy which has both signatures.

I'll look into this.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Emma,

Thats right, it is unenforceable agreement because it has not been signed by you AND a rep from SLC.

Scratch 1 loan......WELL DONE!!!!:D Oh and the arrears as well!!!!!!!

Go through the others whilst reffering to the CCA 1974 and make sure it complies with all regulations.......if not, write back to them and give them the good news!!!!

Claims:

• 2 weeks later...

Gooders, they have slipped up big time!

They sent me new copies of the CCA with my SAR info, except this time the unsigned agreement has been SIGNED!

It is the same document which I have already got a copy of, my signature is patently exactly the same as the previous copy but a new signature, apparently 4 days after I signed it, has miraculously appeared.

I'm off to get addresses fot the DTI, the ICO(whoever they are) and STudent Loans Co, higher management. Oh and make lots of copies!

PS Can you remember the technology they used to prove that confessions that were signed by suspects but later written by the corrupt police officers, were fraudulent?

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Well Emma,

that is interesting!!! and Im guessing a whole world of hurt for SLC, think you may have a really good bargining point there.

I cant believe they think they can get away with stuff like that....go get them!!!

BTW they sent me all 4 of my CCAs, will need to check them out but at least 1 is unenforceable due to it not being readable!!! Now need to look into charges and arrears.....

Gooders

Claims:

So, yesterday I sent off my big scary letter of complaint to the Chief Executive of the SLC anf another to the Information Commissioner's Office.

I also sent a revised lba, as I had another charge to add to the list. So 14 days, from today, before I start my mcol against them.

Funnily enough my recorded delivery letters have all been delivered, but I always have trouble finding out when special delivery letters have been received. Typical!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Still no word from Mr Seymour-Jackson.

Not even a phonecall.

I'm waiting........

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Keeping my fingers crossed for you emma :)

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

£4,200 in charges claimed back succesfully from a total of 5 Creditors

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

NEXT Directory - No Agreement, No Further Action **WON**

2010 Issues

Court Claim from Black Horse - AOS 22.11.10, CPR 23.11.10

Assisting Daughter with Employment Tribunal for Wrongful Dismissal/Discrimination

:) My Head is officially out of the Sand :)