• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Royalties Gold/Prem account charge ??

dizzy doris
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I added up all our charges on our Royalties Premier account going back to Sept 2002 and its £6089 !! So we have decided its well worth claiming. The only thing that is putting me off a bit is the fact that the bank will close our account. We have a Royalties Premier and a Key account with them - both in joint names, charges only apply on the RP account. Would they close both ? I tried to set up a parachute account online with COOP as there was a link on there on Friday but today its gone ! Also, if anyone can help direct me to get my user name changed from my email address it would be most helpful as I cant get the tech support link to work.

I added up all our charges on our Royalties Premier account going back to Sept 2002 and its £6089 !! So we have decided its well worth claiming. The only thing that is putting me off a bit is the fact that the bank will close our account. We have a Royalties Premier and a Key account with them - both in joint names, charges only apply on the RP account. Would they close both ? I tried to set up a parachute account online with COOP as there was a link on there on Friday but today its gone ! Also, if anyone can help direct me to get my user name changed from my email address it would be most helpful as I cant get the tech support link to work.

There is a very slim chance they may close your account, I shall get your user name changed.

hello I see that you have now posted in your bank forum.

Keep trying other banks. I have read that the Halifax and the Natwest are good bets.

Keep the faith

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

I am just about to take on RBOS after watching the Tonight Programme ! I added up all our charges and they came to a whopping £6089 ! I have a couple of queries - Its a joint account, do we both have to claim will it be a joint petition ? Is it worth going over the £6089 with the £5000 limit at small claims level. We have two accs with same bank, the charges only relate to the royalties premier account, would they be able to close the other key account ? The nagging thing at the back of my mind, is that its our fault ! If we managed the account better, we wouldnt have been charged ? Thanks to hellhavenofury who suggested putting this on the RBOS site

Hi I have received an offer today for full amount asked for from RBOS after first letter with no mention of closing my account.

I opened another account with Alliance & Leicester which has no interest fees on overdrafts for a year incase they did.

Hope this helps. Whole process has only taken 4 weeks from asking for statements.:)

Well done shilso for getting your settlemet - and so quickly too ! I had all my statements but its just taken me 4 hours to input all our charges onto the spreadsheet the site. Its well worth it, makes you realise what its all for when you see the total at the end !! As its a joint account im getting my hubby to sign the letter too - not sure if thats right or not but it cant help. Im sending it to the Tommy McLean address - so fingers crossed !!

Hi Dizzy. Will answer in order...

You don't need it to be. Providing you put on the first letter both your signatures and a bit saying please accept (other person)'s signature as authorisation for me to carry out this complaint myself. Be aware, any payment will either be paid into your joint account or will be made payable to both of you if you (unlikely) receive a cheque.

Claiming in excess of £5k has it's downsides, for starters you will be fastracked and as a result, will be exposed to the banks costs if things go wrong. Best solution to this is to split your claim into two periods of reasonably similar amounts so that you can make two claims through the small claims court (i.e. 2001-2004 and 2005-2007).

There are very few incidents of ANY accounts being closed let alone one that is not related to your complaint. Nationwide have recently been heavily fined for forcing people to close their accounts, I think that retaliatory option has been crossed off by the banks.

No one is denying whose fault it is, but the law clearly states that banks are NOT allowed to profit from your wrongdoings. Consequently, if it REALLY costs them £30 to send you a letter then you SHOULD feel guilty. There is research that believes it probably costs them closer to £2 so the other £28 goes towards the banks record profits. Don't think it should nag you from now on.

Good luck with your claim, take your time, do some research, read through the guides in the FAQ forum. You will have your £6k back in no time ;)

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Ummm....just replied to dizzy elsewhere :?

Lively, only a quick point I just spotted at the second time of reading it, you may have changed her user ID but you've left the email address visible in your quote hee hee :D

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

dizzy, I am not well informed as to your direct question, however I read an article The Monthly Newsletter from this site sent to my email saying Alliance & Leicester were charged by the FOS for "retaliatory account closure" so maybe it's worth letting the RBS know about it if they intend to close your account. I'm not sure if this has been tried before, just a thought.

Oops, just found the reply which T4FF wrote for dizzy on another thread. Turns out I really did not need to reply after all cause T4FF's reply seems pretty exhaustive. Ah well, sorry T4FF, I didn't realise. dizzy if you haven't seen it, I suggest you go back to your initial thread prior to this one it's quite helpful with regards to your questions.

Have been reading thru some really great threads on here and think I might have made a boob in my claim. In the back of my head I was aware that there was a charge made by RBS on the above accounts BUT when I went thorough my statements no monthly charge was the same ie

30NOV A/C 100xxxxx £43.00, '29SEP A/C 100xxxxx £15.00, I have a nasty feeling that I should have deducted £28 from the £43 charges ? The letter and list of charges has already gone, has anyone got any suggestions / advise ?

Hi Dizzy.

Firstly, I would advise you try to keep all your questions in the same post (if they relate to the same account) that way people can keep an eye on your progress. Rather than click on NEW POST every time, go to your previous thread and click REPLY. We can at least get a background of your claim ;)

To answer your question, you are correct - really speaking you should have deducted your royalties charge because it is an agreed service and RBS have a sly way of doing things in that they add any referral charges (mainly £28) on with your monthly charge - it can be even higher than £43 with other things added in. For reference, I have written up about determining which charges to claim and which not to - a link is in my signature.

What to do about it? You could revise it or you could leave it. What's the worst they can do if you leave? Tell you to revise your statement. If they don't notice it then you've got away with it. On the flip side, if you revise it and revise it early, it could mean less mucking around further down the line. Your call I guess?

• Haha 1

Thanks v much, as you can prob tell, im new to this and definitely earn the dizzy bit of my name eh ? I will have a think on it, I may well wait for the first reply but have the revised one ready to go. Think the standard charge for the account is £15 but will check FAQs etc and post it on here too.

Right now, I think Gold is 12 and Prem is 15

Just to keep you updated, I received a letter from Sandy Watt this morning thanking me for my letter ??? and advising that they are currently considering my claim and will respond as soon as possible. Amazingly this letter was dated 1st March 07 the day my Spec Del letter was confirmed deliverd by Post Office !

• 2 weeks later...

Been catching up on RBS threads tonight and it looks like more and more people are going for the interest ? I haven't, as I didnt realise it was possible - the CI thing sounded far too complicated although I am sure there are spreadsheeets out there to help. I was under the impresssion that once you have sent of your prelim, u only add on the 8% when u get to court stage is that right ?

yes that's right

Had offer letter today ! £6640 with the usual garb about not admitting liability etc. Sooooo tempted to take it as we were going for £7049 but I know that if we go to court we can go for the 8% which would take it up to £8447 - I am just being greedy. Its such a large amount they are offering and not that much short of what we were claiming.....

Had offer letter today ! £6640 with the usual garb about not admitting liability etc. Sooooo tempted to take it as we were going for £7049 but I know that if we go to court we can go for the 8% which would take it up to £8447 - I am just being greedy. Its such a large amount they are offering and not that much short of what we were claiming.....

Hi dizzy doris, The decison is your call at the end of the day. It is £400 of your money. You can accept it as part payment and go for the rest. If that does not work you go to court and get the other £1,800.

If it was me I would be prepared to go to court, but I have become hellhasnofury and I am extremely bitter over their wrong doings!!!

anyway well done to you and spent wisely:D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Thank u, I'm still deciding what to do - was thinking about sending the acceptance as partial payment. Received another letter this morning from Sandy Watt following receipt of the LBA - its the same as the first acknowledgment !!

Was thinking about accepting their offer as partial settlement but going for the full amount now as it looks like we could well go to court stage and if I add on the 8% at court stage thats a family holiday !! If we dont get to court and we settle thats another £403 im better off !

Few questions though if anyone can help ?

1. If l send the letter accepting offer but not their conditions ie no future claims, do I stick to the original timescale from the LBA ?

2. As the claim is over £7000 can I still lodge on MCOL ?

3. Which court address should I be using ?

If you intend to continue (they haven't offered you the full amount so you can if you want) you would have to accept the offer as an 'interim' payment and I have to say it's unlikely you will see it.

Plus they can't make you sign away your legal right to persue the recovery of future unlawful charges, whatever.

£7000 claim on MCOL is ok, that will be in the Fast Track.

Use whichever court is nearest to you...

Hope that helps