• Tweets

• Good afternoon, I am writing because I am very frustrated. I received a parking fine from MET Parking Services Ltd , ( Southgate park Stansted CM24 1PY) . We stopped for a quick meal in Mcdonalds and were there fir around 30 mins. We always do this after flights and never received a parking fine before.  Reason: The vehicle left in Southgate car park without payment made for parking and the occupants southgate premises. they took some pictures of us leaving the car. i did not try and appeal it yet as I came across many forums that this is a scam and I should leave it. But I keep getting threatening letters.  Incident happened : 23/10/2023 I did contact Mcdonalds and they said this:  Joylyn (McDonald’s Customer Services) 5 Apr 2024, 12:05 BST Dear Laura, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services. I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our Stansted restaurant.   We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.   We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.   Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.   If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.   Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.   Can someone please help me out and suggest what I should do next?  Thank you 
    • Good Evening, I've got a fairly simple question but I'll provide some context incase needed. I've pursued a company that has operations in england despite them having no official office anywhere. I've managed to find a site they operate from and the papers there have been defended so I know they operate there. They've filed a defence which is honestly the worst defence ever, and despite being required to provide their witness evidence, they have not and have completely ignored the courts and my request for copies of it. I'm therefore considering applying to strike out their defence on the grounds the defence was rubbish and that they haven't provided any evidence for the trial. However, it has a trial date set for end of june, and a civil application wouldn't get heard until a week before then, so hardly worth it. However, my local court is very good at dealing with paper applications (i.e ones that don't need hearings, and frankly I think they are literally like 1-2 days from when you submit it to when a Judge sees it. I'm wondering if I can apply to strikeout a defence without a hearing OR whether a hearing is required for a strikeout application.   Thanks
    • I have just opened another bank acc with lloyds (i have a few already) After doing some research they may have some relation to tsb or be apart of the same group will this cause me issue if my salary is paid into my lloyds account? Also, if the debts do go into default and nothing is paid then after 6 years it all goes away? As the DCAs cannot do anything? I do want to start paying in like 3/4 months or do you advise I leave it if it goes into default? again sorry for all the questions, i am just processing everything
    • one reply only  follow post 2 of letter of claim <<clickme link. dx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Henry v NatWest: lost, I'm afraid

happyhenry
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I still believe bank penalty charges are clearly illegal and am posting this to make people aware of the argument NatWest will use.

I took NatWest to the small claims court (Shoreditch) in May 2005. It was over around £1,050 of charges (plus interest) for going over my overdraft over a period of 4 years.

No NatWest person appeared but they sent a very impressive barrister (cost over twice the £1,200 I was claiming - I know because they told me the costs to try and put me off, though you cannot generally be made liable for the other sides costs).

Their barrister argued that it was not a penalty because I had not broken my contract and that the cost was simply a charge for a service provided.

So I was in the odd position of seeking to argue I had breached the contract, whereas NatWest were arguing I had not.

Now I did have a barrister, as one had offered to do it for free. But this meant I got little chance to put my case as he was there for speak to me - and he didn't seem convinced anymore of my case.

So my first advice is to defend yourself unless you have a barrister totally convinced of the case.

I should have done two things:

1) Found a clause clearly stating that it is a breach of the contract to go over the overdraft. (I believe there is somewhere it says you are in breach of contract if you do not have sufficient funds in the account at 3.30 to meet whatever cheques or payments fall due the next day.)

2) Put the argument that costs to the bank are minimal. Clearly it is all automated. Their barrister tried to give the impression it all has to go to a higher level and be debated. In fact information I later got under the Data Protection Act made clear I was seen as a very reliable customer and there was no question of bouncing a cheque.

They were also careful not to have a NatWest manager present. (My manager sent a statement.) Otherwise they could be questioned aobut whether it is regarded internally as a penalty and as to the actual costs.

I wish good luck to anybody taking this further and am happy to chat about my experience. I believe the penalty laws are clear and on our side.

yours

Henry Stewart

[email protected]

PS: There were no costs beyond the court fees (about £200 in total). I have no regrets about taking NatWest to court.

Can you scan and post a copy of the District Judges Order please? This would be very helpful.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

This is very interesting. I got a letter back from Natwest recently in response to my 7 day court action letter. The letter begins by saying "I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with the service you have recently received". I did not mention the word "service" in my letter. I put it down to them churning out standard letters without any thought. It now looks as if it was no mistake, and this is the approach they will take.

Ouch Henry, sorry it turned out like that :(

1) Found a clause clearly stating that it is a breach of the contract to go over the overdraft. (I believe there is somewhere it says you are in breach of contract if you do not have sufficient funds in the account at 3.30 to meet whatever cheques or payments fall due the next day.)

I'm assuming that any leaflet of "Terms & Conditions" would form part of the contract with the bank - and therefore, if you breach a clause in the Ts&Cs, you'd be in breach of contract? I've just found separate clauses in my A&L Ts&Cs leaflet that talk about the account must be in credit unless there's an agreed overdraft; and cleared balance at the start of the day being sufficient to cover all debits due that day....

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

I am already aware of your case and referred to it early on in the Forum history in Legalities, I think.

Of course I think that it is important for everyone to understand that their case can go to court and can be lost as occurred in your case.

A few things which I don't understand are why the argument that the bank was only allowed to charge a reasonable price per s.15 Suppy of Goods and Services was not presented to the court. I am not aware that this argment has been tested but in my view it is a sound argument. It would also require then the bank to reveal its costs in order to show that its "fees" were reasonable.

This argument is included in the Case Guidance notes and is also discussed elsewhere on the forum

I know that the barrister in your case montiors this site from time to time and of course it would be very welcome if he were to let us know what he thinks about the case and how it might have been won.

Is there any chance of a scan of your particulars of claim and of the bank's defence? Did they supply you with a bundle of any evidence before the trial? It would be useful to see them.

In my ignorance here I admit... my thoughts are tho this was in March 2005 since then more high cases and high profile ones have been successful so I would have thought this would now lean in our favour?

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

As far as I know, no other cases have gone to court. They have either been settled or judgment has been given in default.

Guest stephen

Judgment in default is just as good as going to court.

I just got a copy of Natwest policy and it says

If you break your agreement with us and we have cause to issue a Default Notice to you requiring you to either repay the debt or remedy breach of agreement, we will charge you £30 for our administrative costs in issuing the Default Notice

I would say the barrister was ill prepared

• 4 weeks later...

If I understand this correctly:

The banks' current defence for the application of charges (application, not level) is that you broke the Ts & Cs and therefore contract

Their only succesful defence to date is that you didn't breach Ts & Cs/Contract

One successful defence - shot to pieces for short term gain...I was always under the impression that banks were intelligent, tactical market players...seems that I was under the wrong impression. Ho hum!

Know thine enemy.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Guest Alison82
we will charge you £30 for our administrative costs in issuing the Default Notice

This charge would also be recoverable wouldn't it?

Fascinating. It must have taken some cajones from someone at the bank to go into court with that argument. I wonder if there were some technical problems with Henry's case which made them confident they could get it dismissed.

I stopped using lawyers for litigation long ago. I find that they are very resistant to taking specific instructions as to how to proceed with the case, and they are never, ever, as motivated as you are to win.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

and they are never, ever, as motivated as you are to win

That is a very pertinent point, and well worth bearing in mind. If the banks do allow further court actions, and they appoint a legal representative, Robert's post clearly indicates that we would have a slight advantage of immediacy.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

That's not the only advantage. I've used the fact that I'm representing myself to do all sorts of things in court which a lawyer would never get away with. I've done things like:

spring huge surprises on the other side (usually a big no-no);

managed to get the case adjourned repeatedly because 'I don't understand it' - forcing the other side into another costly hearing;

managed to completely alter my case during the hearing and after the other side has put their defence, - with the help of the Sheriff. (much to their lawyer's chagrin).

Nowadays, I only use lawyers for commercial stuff for my business.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Henry

Why didnt you prepare yourself more?

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

sent reminder email on 17/4/06

called abbey on 19/04/06 to remind them:rolleyes:

sent another email on 26/04/06:mad:

Approx charges £2500

received £500 refund in dec 06

sent LBA

Capital one- sent DPA letter 17/03

Sent prim letter for charges of £260 14/04

Received a refund £109 awaiting further refund of £151

Settled IN FULL

Barclay card- Sent DPA letter 17/03 sent reminder 14/04

received info claiming £120

settled in FULL

• 1 month later...

Guys, Henry only posted once to kindly tell us his story, there's little point in asking him questions, as I don't think he visits.

He did leave his e-mail in his post though, and said he was happy to talk to people, so e-mail him if you need to know more. (And feel free to report anything of interest!)

This is indeed a shame, and we can only hope that is was bad presentation of the case or unwitting omission of facts that led to the bank winning their case (no offence to the barrister in question intended).

Can the bank now quote this case in subsequent cases?

I myself am intending to take Natwest to court and am working on some extra arguments to the ones on here as I want to have the best chance possible of winning my case (too much money at stake!).

In light of this maybe we could start a new thread on working towards defeating this specific defence tactic. It could possibly be the wording of Natwest's T&Cs that have given them an advantage here. Perhaps someone legally minded could take a look at them in more detail.

I would be very happy to find more poeple wanting to work with me on this one.;-)

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

• 2 months later...

I am currently researching how to get my money back from Natwest! I'm trying not to feel put off by what I have just read and hope since more cases have come to light that Natwest may give in alot easier.

They owe me £3,362.35 and claim that these charges are fair.

If anybody can give me advice as to what I need to do... in what order.... and how long I leave between each letter/action...I would appreciate it. I can't seem to find a clear list of what action to take although I am reading peoples stories of claiming.

Keep up the good work guys and I shall be sure to keep you informed of my progress.

x Carrie x

Carrie

Have a good read through the FAQs

Its time consuming but well worth it:)

so far Natwest have paid £102294 to 81 members this is the only case that has lost probalbly the only one that got to a hearing,there is plenty of help from others on the site

Lloyds TSB - N1 claim issued 18/07/06 - £3440 Offered unconditional settlement 23/08/06

Vodafone-Information Commisioner assessment -default removal -25/07/06

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks