• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hedgey v NatWest **WON**

hedgey06
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the threads/faq's/etc on this site almost every night since I became a member (still don't think I've read everything though!!) I've done my SAR ready to send to the Gogarburen address, but............ I'm really worried about sending it off and I'd really appreciate some advice.

Basically, I've had an overdraft with Natwest for years now that I pay interest on every month - it crept up while I was working part-time when the kids were younger!! Because of this, I'm really worried about what Natwest will do if I try to claim my charges off them.

:confused: Can they really try to close my account? Can they demand that I pay my overdraft off? Can they freeze my account? I don't fancy my chances of getting another bank account at the moment because of the charges that have been racking up on my account every month (e.g., 48p short for a £40 DD = loads of charges plus missed payment on credit card/other DD's = double payments plus late fees = even worse off!!!) I imagine my credit rating is roughly in the region of zilch at the moment!

I reckon I've had at least £500 of charges in the past few months alone, and I don't seem to be able to get straight with them because of this. If I claim, will they just try to make a bad situation even worse? I've already tried resolving the situation with them (e.g., turn loan into overdraft/pay extra on top of interest each month) but to no avail- they don't want to know.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - I'm just really confused with the whole thing to the point where I feel like I'm going round in circles!!! Hope you can help.

Cheers,

Hedgey

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but unlikely, NatWest have no real history of closing accounts because you claim charges. No because they are unlawful. Start the process and keep reading around. When you have the statements please post on here and we will all help you to the next stage. Keep the chin up YOU will be better off soon.

Thanks Nattie, I've just read your reply with relief! Looks like I need to put a stamp on this envelope and see what happens. I'll keep you posted on here. Here goes!

Cheers,

Hedgey

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

remember to open an account at another bank, which is referred to here as the parachute account. The charges issue is a fluid one, so better to get an alternative basic account then for it to happen to you. Do not be scared of claiming, thousands have or are in the process of claiming so do not be disheartend and keep going.

Thanks Nattie. Would I still be able to get another bank account with DD facilities on though, with the state that my Natwest account is in? Sorry if I seem totally green about this, but I honestly feel in awe of the whole process!

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

hedgey, everyone does to start with, but most basic accounts do have provision for Direct Debits and Standing Orders. It does take time to be really up on the process involved but slowly but surely by reading other threads on NatWest you will be fine.

Well given that you've been more helpful than my own bank I'm going to take your word for it Nattie! I've put a stamp on the envelope and sent hubby round the corner to post it before I dither around any longer.... so fingers crossed! Think this will be the best night's sleep I've had for months tonight! Thanks a lot Nattie, I'll keep you posted on progress.

Hedgey x

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

:smile: Well, thanks to the encouragement that I had from Nattie last night, the SAR has gone in. Thanks for your encouragement Nattie, 'cos I'm not sure I'd have had the guts on my own!

The other half thought better (at the last moment!) and decided to send it recorded delivery today rather than posting it off last night! So hopefully the guy up in Gogarburen (right spelling???) should be receiving my little letter tomorrow.

After reading through some of the other threads, I'm now looking forward to a few cosy nights in working out my charges (plus interest!) at some time in the near future. With copious amounts of red wine to help me along I imagine!!!!

I'll post my progress as it goes on (and on....... and on???!!!). Look forward to hearing from you folks soon.

Cheers,

Hedgey

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Goggarburn, I think, but pleased to hear. I used to have a quote on my signature which was from a World War 1 Poet, Wilfred Owen, killed very shortly before the end of hostilities, from Strange Meeting..one of the lines is "I am the enemy you killed, my friend". I work for the enemy but am awaiting your killing, my friend.

Natttie, you're an absolute star. I was seriously about to call it a day until last night. I'll keep you posted on my 'killing' when it comes!

Not sure if it was Napolean (?) who said "the plan is nothing, the planning is everything" (????....... or thereabouts!), but CAG is definitely the place to get the planning in place. I've emailed all my friends and colleagues today, so hopefully a lot more members will be online soon!

Here's to Nattie and CAG :smile: ....... and to getting our confidence back!!!!

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

• 2 weeks later...

Yippee!!!!!!!! Two tatty brown envelopes delivered this morning containing 6 years worth of statements. I was only at home 'cos one of my twins is off school sick! At a glance, seems most of my charges have been applied during last 18 months (not been a great time lately!). So........... I'm off to tot them up! ;-)

See you later everyone!

Hedgey x

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

hedgey06,

Onwards an upwards for you now. Loads of help available on this site.Good luck.sport-smiley-001.gif

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Ooooh, the fun starts now Hedgey. Although I bet you will have a total shock when youve totted up the charges. You wont believe how much it is. I didnt. I nearly had cardiac just from the shock of the amount. I honestly truly had no idea just how much it was. Am I bad with money or what ?????? no dont answer that. xxx Fendy xxx

Thanks Parkvale and Fendy - two truly inspirational Caggers! I've got to say.......... how vindicated do I feel right now? VERY vindicated!!!! :D I've been told by Mrs. Rude at Nasty West that I have continuously run my account poorly for several years - only to find that............. no I haven't (so there!!!!)

My statements clearly show that nearly all of my charges were racked on during the past 18 months despite the fact I've pleaded for breathing space on the charges issue with them (hubby was ill and on half pay from work). Charges come to £1,105 (peanuts compared to many claims on here I know!). However, a little understanding from the bank that claims to have 'another way' would have gone a long way to avoiding certain financial cock-ups.

So............... give me my money back......... now!!!!!!!!!, cos I'm about to join the ranks of fellow esteemed Caggers by claiming my cash back. Here we go folks. :D:D:D

p.s., soz for the late post......... sometimes I hate being a community worker!!!!!!!!!!!

p.p.s., where's Nattie???????????

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

hedgey06,

It does not matter whether the amount claimed is £10, £1,000 or £10,000 it's still rightfully yours to claim. Nat West show no sympathy in their greed to gorge themselves on your money. You will win in the end, and they seem to settle quicker with smaller amounts. Have a look at this might help you;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

• Haha 1

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Hey Hedgey, nobody could be worse with money than me. Im proper bad. Or was should I say. Ive cleaned my act up immensely since my bad times 3-4 years ago. But regardless, it still remains they took advantage of you at a time when you needed help, not charges piling on. Thats what they do. The did it to me when I got made redundant, and was hugely mammoth like pregant at the time. They dont know the meaning of the word MERCY or HELP. Plain kindness to other human beings costs nothing, but for being treat totally sh*ttily by the Natwest you even have to pay. I have a good feeling on this one. Make sure you send your letters to Mr. Stuart Higley himself, and I will bet the contents of my penny jar on this that they settle either at prelim or LBA. I will bet honestly. Good Luck anyway. Its your money remember. Youre only getting back what is yours in the first place. GO FOR IT. AND DONT LOOK BACK AT ANY POINT. ITS YOUR MONEY.

FENDY XXXX

• Haha 1

Hi guys - think there's a good chance I may be going mad :mad: (not angry mad - but was the only 'mad' smilie I could find!) Done my spreadsheet - finally. But can't quite work something out (???) If I get charged an unarranged borrowing fee on a certain date, don't I have to have incurred a charge (e.g., paid referral/unpaid DD) or have gone over my O/D somewhere along the line?

Got loads of unarranged borrowing fees on the copy statements but no actual reasons for them. Just as an example, had a UBF of £14 on 30/04/2003 but hadn't had an actual charge since 08/02/2002. Please tell me there's a logical explanation for this and that I can't see it 'cos I'm tired and grumpy!!!! Hope someone can help xxx

:confused:

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Doesnt make any sense to me Hedgey. Cant see any reason for it especially since you had an overdraft in the first place, and you dont seem to have any record of having exceeded it in eithr the Feb or March or April to have been charged it. I think this is one for nattie perhaps. He being NW staff might be able to shed some light on it. I would check with him. Fendy xx

Thanks Fendy - at least I'm not going mad then??!! :grin:

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Guest NATTIE

Unarranged Borrowing Fee, charged at the end of the following month. Why? for exceeding an agreed or unagreed overdraft. Has nothing to do with if you have an unpaid item or referral fee(which is payment of an item that takes you £26 or more over the aforementioned agreed or unagreed overdraft facility). That should help. Do i bow now or later?!!

Not so fast Nattie! Am querying it 'cos I didn't go over my overdraft (not even by a penny!) and didn't get any paid referrals/unpaid DD's or anything. Just got the charges :confused: Wondered (as I'm inclined to to do!) if there are some actual charges missing from the copy statements? I know I'm slightly mad, but don't think I'm a fully fledged butterfly catcher (yet!!) Darn it!!!

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Just a thought. Have you tried ringing Nasty West to actually ask them to clarify what it was for. Might be an interesting conversation. Write down exactly what they say, because it might be me being dumb blonde ish, but I just cant see any justification for it at all. ??? Hedgey,, ring them, and listen to what they say, explanation for it. Would be nice to hear them stammering if they dont know why wouldnt it. ???? Go on, make em squirm. lol xxxx

Fendy, why aren't I thinking as straight as you are?? Think I'm having a blonde week - and wouldn't mind but I'm a brunette!!! I'll give Mrs. Rude at Nasty West a little tinkle. Thanks Fendy, you're a star, and Nattie.......... you can take a bow, given that you're not just a star - you're the coolest guy on the site! x :p

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Guest NATTIE

there is another explanation which is that maybe a cheque going in and something going out which could be that while the balance is showing in credit the cleared amount is not.

Hmmm.... was you listening in on my telephone conversation today Nattie? That's exactly the explanation I was given today! Feel a bit of a prat actually, as if you look at the statements closely enough, it does add up in the end. I'm just off to wash the egg off my face!!! :D

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***