kazzaw v First Direct - **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just set the ball rolling with a DPA letter to Lloyds TSB for my single account. Estimated charges £3500.

I've opened a parachute a/c with Natwest. (Step a/c)

I'm now plucking up courage to start with our main joint current a/c with First Direct. OH's wages are paid into this & most of our household bills are paid through this via DD.

My OH is sceptical about the whole thing but I have talked him into giving it a go.

I would however like to stay with FD as out of all the banks I have ever dealt with they have given the best service over the years (apart from the extortionate fees!!!)

Have many people had their accounts closed as a result of taking action against FD?

Due to being overdrawn in the past we had our debit cards withdrawn some time ago & have been operating the account with cash cards only. This was not a problem as it has allowed us to think more carefully about the money we spend.

I also have a debit card with my LTSB account so we are able to shop online, book tickets etc.

As our credit history is a little fragile I know we would have problems opening a full a/c anywhere else at the moment so I am treading carefully.

Any thoughts or advice?

FIRST DIRECT: £4751.86 SETTLED IN FULL 5/07/06 :-)

TESCO VISA CARD: £90 SETTLED IN FULL 12/08/06 :)

LLOYDS TSB: £4403.59 SETTLED IN FULL 17/08/06 :)

EGG: £451.52 SETTLED IN FULL 18/01/07 :)

Opinions and advice of kazzaw are independent, offered informally, without prejudice, without liability, and not endorsed by the Bank Action Group. If in any doubt, seek the advice of a qualified, insured professional.

I would however like to stay with FD as out of all the banks I have ever dealt with they have given the best service over the years (apart from the extortionate fees!!!)

Have many people had their accounts closed as a result of taking action against FD?

Any thoughts or advice?

Anyone?

Opinions and advice of kazzaw are independent, offered informally, without prejudice, without liability, and not endorsed by the Bank Action Group. If in any doubt, seek the advice of a qualified, insured professional.

Doubt many if any have had their accounts closed. It would be tantamount to a bank taking vindictive action against customers who dare to protest against what are unarguably unfair and unlawful charges.

Indeed there would likely be redress available throught the Financial Ombudsman Service if the bank were to close your account in such a blatantly vindictive manner. Though I do believe Bankfodder is collating information on individuals who have or are having their accounts closed/restricted?

As for First Direct - doesn't sound like they offer you much in the way of banking anyway - just basic facilities.

It would appear you have a better relationshipwith Lloyds TSB. Sod the loyalty, move to a bank where you can establish a good relationship - such as Lloyds - where the bank can see regular payments into the account (your OH's wages), and good account conduct. Believe it or not, many banks will actually use their own credit scoring system to offer you wider services once they have seen a solid/consistent performance on the account. My advice would be to consider ditching First Direct anyway and starting anew?

Plus you have a parachute account with Natwest - which I assume is a basic account also - but as good as First Direct and without the baggage.

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

Don, to be fair, FD are a bloody good bank to deal with IMHO, if only they didn't "do" unlawful charges.

What I can't understand is why no bank has turned round and said "right, we'll cap our charges at [say] £5.00" I think loads of customers would flock to them. FD would be an ideal candidate to do this IMHO.

• Confused 1

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

Thanks to both of you.

I see where you're coming from DQ but I still prefer the service I get from FD. Their CS people are very helpful & seem to know what they are talking about.

Whenever I have had to call LSTSB phone bank I can honestly say I have never been satisfied witrh their response.

It was partly our own faults for giving up the debit cards as we were permanently overdrawn at the time & it was a way of managing our money more responsibly.

Over the last couple of years we have got our account back in order apart from the occasional slip up around Christmas & holiday times. We could probably have had debit cards back but chose to do without them.

DPA letter ready to be sent to FD by registered post tomorrow!!

I have today received the following letter personally signed by Linda Young in response to my DPA letter which was only posted on Wednesday (10th) afternoon!!

Dear Mrs .............

request for information

Thank you for your letter dated 10 May 2006 requesting information about your account.

The charges information that you have requested is contained within the account statements. We will arrange to provide you with copies of your accounts' statements, as detailed in your letter. The bank only retains information of

this nature for six years. The information regarding manual intervention can be found in your Notes, and we will provide you with copies of these Notes.

This information will be provided free of charge, and will be sent to you by courier. Your signature will be required to acknowledge receipt.

The cheque forwarded with your request is enclosed.

If you require any further information please telephone first direct on the number at the top of this letter.

Yours sincerely

Linda Young

Data Security Manager

Quick turnaound!! Hope it's like this all the way!! LOL ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Prelim letter sent 30 May.

Acknowledgment received today from Sue Thirkill with Financial Ombudsman leaflet. Told to expect reply within 10 days.

BTW After receiving one set of statements sent to my name last week via DHL we received another identical package addressed to my OH on Tuesday of this week. Must be a BOGOF offer at FD!!! lol :) :)

"First Direct does not agree..................." letter received today signed by Deborah Malins.

Advises me if I wish to escalate my concerns to the next stage to write to Robert Kernaghan.

So, as 14 days since prelim letter, LBA will be sent tomorrow to Mr Kernaghan.

Great, keep us posted!

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

• 2 weeks later...

LBA sent 8/6/06.

"Personal" reply received 14/6/06 from Robert Kernaghan saying "I am sorry to learn that you remain dissatisfied......................etc"

Moneyclaim drafted ready to use!!

I will be submitting a claim against FD through Moneyclaim shortly.

When do I send a copy of my spreadsheet giving details of dates of charges etc?

If I was filing a claim personally at a Court I would have handed in a copy with my N1 form.

I don't think you need to send details of the charges to the court when you file your claim. The totla amount you are claiming should be sufficient. I sent a copy of my spreadsheet (just charges, not interest) with my prelim letter. If you haven't done that I wouldn't worry. It doesn't make any difference to the way FD deal with things.

I suppose that if you do go to court (unlikely), you will want to produce a list of charges as evidence. Good luck!

If you are using Moneyclaim then there is a box to indicate that you will post paperwork off. You should tick this box and then post your spreadsheet, with charges and interest listed to the court. The bank will use any excuse to delay things and lack of paperwork (even though they have got it), is one of them.

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

If you are using Moneyclaim then there is a box to indicate that you will post paperwork off. You should tick this box and then post your spreadsheet, with charges and interest listed to the court.

I can't find this box anywhere!! Any clues?!! :confused:

The bank will use any excuse to delay things and lack of paperwork (even though they have got it), is one of them.

I keep reading this on other threads which is why I asked this question. I wouldn't want to give them any excuse to delay.;-)

Thanks

If you are using Moneyclaim then there is a box to indicate that you will post paperwork off.

I'm pretty sure there isn't. Please correct me if I'm wrong and tell me where it is.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I'm pretty sure there isn't. Please correct me if I'm wrong and tell me where it is.

No still can't find it. I think from other threads that it can be sent with the AQ. I've printed off a copy for my file with interest corresponding to amount claimed. I can then photocopy it when needed.

Just submitted claim online!! Biting nails time now!! :o

CLAIM No: 6QZ40250

CHARGES £3613.50 + 8% INTEREST £1018.36 = £4631.86 + COURT FEE £120

Hi Kazzaw,

I didn't give any further details other than amount + interest (8%) + court costs (£120).

You've done exactly what I did. :D

Nemo me impune lacessit!

The hours of folly are measured by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.

As long as one person lives in darkness, then it seems to be a responsibility to tell other people.

Good luck Kaz

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Kazzaw,

I didn't give any further details other than amount + interest (8%) + court costs (£120).

You've done exactly what I did. :D

Ditto!

Good luck Kaz, keep us posted!!

In my opinion, you'll have the money by about the 15th of July.

--

kazzaw

i filed my claim on the 19TH June. i will pm you any responses i recieve from the banks or courts to let you know what you should be getting, i will watch your post to keep track of any updates

wishing you all the luck Lillboy.

Thanks lillboy

Bogus Charges £499.00 LBA 1/06/06

Refund of £299.00 now sent Data Protection Act:)

GE Capital NEXT

Hi

Thanks lillboy!! It will be good to have someone to compare notes with! ;-)

Notice of Issue letter received today from Northampton County Court.

The claim was issued on 21st June 2006.

The claim will be deemed to be served on 26th June & the Defendant has until 10th July to reply.

I eagerly await the next instalment!! :-)

Blinding!

Tick tock. :D

Nemo me impune lacessit!

The hours of folly are measured by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.

As long as one person lives in darkness, then it seems to be a responsibility to tell other people.

Just checked MCOL. First Direct have acknowledged my claim!!

Expect an offer of settlement in fullon the condition of confidentiality arriving through your letter box in the next day or two....

--

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks