Amex Amazement!

Barry031261
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I sent a DPA letter to American Express on 27.04.06 with my £10.00 and got all my statements within 3 days. They also didn't charge me for this.

Armed with this information I sent a request for repayment of £130.00 on 04.05.06 expecting them to send the usual 'sod off' letter but to my amazement I got a letter on 07.05.06 saying that although all my legal points in the said letter were wrong blah blah blah they would give me back my £130.00!

They didn't even put up a fight.

I am delighted with the result.

Baz

Halifax - Won £425.00

American Express - Won £90.00

Woolwich Bank - Won £2280.00

Barclaycard - Won £558.00

Woolwich Bank - New claim for £723.00 entered.

Barclaycard - New claim for £236.00 entered

Wahoo, well done :)

Starting mine tomorrow

American Express - Prelim letter 9/05. Settlement 12/05 :)

Barclaycard - £265. Prelim letter sent 9/05. LBA sent 30/5. Offered partial settlement. Declined.

NatWest Credit Cards - £92 -Prelim letter sent 9/05. LBA sent 30/05.

Natwest Bank account - £950 Prelim letter sent 30/05. LBA sent 15/06.

Well done. Please will you take the moment to complete our survey. You will find a link at the top of this page

Well done, Barry!

I had a similar result (see my 30th April thread in this section) where I claimed a record for a 5 day settlement. You seem to have done it in 3 days!

Perhaps this is now the official Amex policy, to settle every claim as soon as it is made.

Time and the experience of others will tell.

Thanks David.

Sorry to have taken your record away but I am very pleased to be the new holder of this title!

With the coverage the banks had in the Mail today I think its going to get a whole lot easier for all very soon!

Baz

Halifax - Won £425.00

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else think that it might be because they are originally an AMERICAN company that they pay up rather than risk being hauled in front of the courts?

I lived in America (Pennsylvania & Delaware) for the past 5 years and I can tell you, the mere mention of "lawsuit" or anything with the slightest whiff of legal action makes the average company turn a whiter shade of pale!

Hopefully after a few thousand cases, our beloved(?) British banks will learn that the great unwashed public (kidding guys!:p ) will not stand for their shenanigans any longer.

• 5 weeks later...

Hope I have the same easy time as you did Barry....

I am hoping to get my DPA letter sent off in a couple of weeks then see how it goes.

Hsbc...Data Protection Act letter sent 28/6, statements recieved 21/7

prelim letter sent 25/9......lba sent 16/10

MBNA.... Data Protection Act letter sent 26/9

Then going in for the rest!!!!!

Hi,

I sent a Data Protection Act letter to American Express on 27.04.06 with my £10.00 and got all my statements within 3 days. They also didn't charge me for this.

Armed with this information I sent a request for repayment of £130.00 on 04.05.06 expecting them to send the usual 'sod off' letter but to my amazement I got a letter on 07.05.06 saying that although all my legal points in the said letter were wrong blah blah blah they would give me back my £130.00!

They didn't even put up a fight.

I am delighted with the result.

Baz

If they were to admit the legal points were correct think they`d be leaving themselves for the flood gates to open for people to make claims.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I went after Amex for £700 worth of charges levied for a 2 cards. It took 6 weeks to turnaround. Yesterday I received a letter with a cheque for £250 offering full and final settlement. Their letter states the cheque represents the difference between what they have charged me vs the OFT charges guide ... i.e. £8 & £10 (Charge card & Credit Card). I really would like to go for the FULL amount and not an offer of a third of what i know i'm due back.

What is the best thing to do from here please?question.gif

I would write back to them stating that you accept the payment as partial settlement only and you'll be pursuing your claim in full through the courts if necessary. Alternatively others suggest you send back the cheque and write a letter saying you'll only accept full and final settlement etc. There are some templates here.

The legal position with part-payments is that if you keep the cheque you must tell the defendant that it's only accepted as a part-payment and you must do that quickly (within a few days) otherwise if you bank the cheque you can be deemed as having accepted in full.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, I went after Amex for £700 worth of charges levied for a 2 cards. It took 6 weeks to turnaround. Yesterday I received a letter with a cheque for £250 offering full and final settlement. Their letter states the cheque represents the difference between what they have charged me vs the OFT charges guide ... i.e. £8 & £10 (Charge card & Credit Card). I really would like to go for the FULL amount and not an offer of a third of what i know i'm due back.

What is the best thing to do from here please?question.gif

Update: RESULT

4th April .... After filing a Money Claim Amex coughed up the difference I was owed within 4 days! ... Please note: DO NOT GIVE UP UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES .... IT IS YOUR MONEY THAT YOU ARE CHASING HERE.

Onto Abbey in the morning .. wish me luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I had an American Express Corporate Charge Card a few years back. The company I used to work for paid the annual fee but I was responsible for the balance, payments and charges. Since it wasn't strictly a credit card, ie the balance needed to be paid off each month does anyone think I can still claim my charges back?

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Halifax - Won £425.00

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks