• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bandit v NatWest - The Full Story And Finally**WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well I'm going to give this a go myself, but I'll need a little bit of help as I have a learning disability which affects my reading and writing and I find it difficult to understand things. I'll be starting my DP letter on Monday but will anyone be able to help me, as I have been reading through the posts and it hasn't really sunk in. Can someone let me know what the address I send the letter to is, and also (it's a silly question I know), when I send my cheque for £10 do I make it out to NatWest?

I know it's going to be annoying and difficult for me but I will give it my best shot and if it works, you can all claim the assist!

Mickie (Thank God for the spell checker):D

08-05-06 - Data Protection Act sent to NW

08-05-06 - MP letter sent to Oliver Letwin (Cons, Dorset West)

25-05-06 - Statements and Data Protection Act received (14 days)

07-06-06 - Prelim letter sent to S.Higley claiming £1226.03

09-06-06 - LBA sent, due to negative response

29-06-06 - Claim served (Acknowledged 30-06-06)

27-07-06 - NW's Deadline - received 27-07-06

24-08-06 - AQ received and returned - Deadline 08-09-06 - Both returned

20-09-06 - 1st Offer - £850.00 with confidentiality REJECTED

05-10-06 - 2nd Offer - £1456.80 with confidentiality ACCEPTED

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem - welcome.

just send the letter to your branch or head office of the bank.

They will know what to do with it ;-)

• Confused 1

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Hi there and welcome to the forum! 6.gif

You have come to the right place and we will help you as much as we can. The process is not as daunting as it may first seem, but you should always be mindful that you could end up in court to put your case forward.

I'll break the process down for you so you can tick it off as you go along.

1. Send DPA request

2. Send Preliminary Request for Payment letter (found here)

3. Send Letter Before Action - LBA (found here)

4. File MoneyClaim (example text can be found here)

It is important to remember that you may be offered "settlements" along the way, but it is up to you to decide if you are happy with what is being offered or if you want to pursue them for the full amount.

I have tried to simplify the process for you, but there will be other issues to consider at each stage of the process.

Please come back here and post on this thread any question you have and someone will always be here to assist.

Good luck! 103.gif

P.S. Make your cheque payable to Nat West

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

If you need any help with the letters, or with what you need to put in them, you can PM me and I will help as needed, but as others have said, and will say, this is your shout and most of the effort must be your own. If you are in any doubt about any of the steps, then read round other posts, especially in the NatWest forum, and you will find words of encouragement.

Good luck.

• Confused 1

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Right I managed to get to DPA letter off today (8th May) enclosed the cheque to NatWest (thankyou tinker:) ) and rushed off to the post office to get it delivered before running back as I had forgotten to put the cheque in:!: !!

But it's in Pat's postbag as recorded delivery so will keep daily checks on whhen it gets received and when it gets cashed and keep you all updated.

Popped into local branch today to shorten my overdraft and close my ISA account with NW, and bloke behind the customer services bit, i think he's asst. manager, he looked very very worried and wanted to know why I wanted the address details for DPM and in the end refused to give me it. Having a very cynical mind I'm thinking somethings come up in their meetings, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is...hehehe

Anyways will keep you posted on every single thing, as skull has said this is my own thing, but boy am I going to need a lot of help and support on this one.

Also, noticed in the forums about parachutes? Am I right in thinking they're like a bank account you open with another bank as a safety net in case NW tries to bug me out?

Hey you!!

You are doing well so far!

Yes a Parachute Account is another account with another bank that you are not "taking to court". The idea is that if your Bank decideds to close your account because you have sued them, at least you have somewhere else to go to - just in case!

Thanks for updating us and letting us know how you get on. We'll be here with you all the way!!

Tinks x

Just noticed the MP template in the templates section, so whipped a copy of that out to my MP (Dorset West). I'm also keeping copies of everything I do, just in case :cool:

Mickie

Your item with reference XXXXXX was delivered from our WEST EDINBURGH Delivery Office on 11/05/06 .

The Ball has started to roll.........lol

proof.jpg

They received it! Judging by the lack of info, they must have had a load to sign for ;)

One slight worry is, they received it on the 11th but cheque still hasnt been cashed, when would be an appropriate time to enquire about that?

Mickie

Guest Lueeze

dont worry about them cashing the cheque, the DPA starts from when they recieve the letter! Good Luck

Lou xxx

Received a reply from my MP after sending the standard template:

Dear Mr Toilet Bandit

Many thanks for your letter of 8 May.

The issue you raise is a serious one. Clearly, if the commercial banks are engaged in any unlawful practice, something ought to be done about it.

I am surprised about your observation that the OFT is displaying reluctance. They seem to me to be the obvious port of call in such a case.

I have, accordingly, written to the Director-General of the OFT. I attach a copy of my letter (Posting that here too :) ). I shall let you know as soon as I receive a response.

If you have not heard anything further from me within six weeks of receiving this letter, I should be grateful if you could contact my secretary Angela Charles on XXXXX XXXXXX, in order to let us know that nothing has come through: that will mean I have not received anything and will lead to my sending a chasing letter.

Thank you, once again, for rasing this important topic.

With best wishes,

Yours sincerely

Oliver Letwin

Enc.

now that's an MP I like :)

Ollie's enclosed letter:

Mr Philip Collins,

Chairman,

Office of Fair Trading,

Fleetbank House,

2-6 Salisbury Square,

London. EC4Y 8JX

Dear Mr Collins,

I attach a copy of a very worrying, at the same time very important, letter that I received my constituent Mr Toilet Bandit of XXXXXXXXXXX Dorset.

As you will see, Mr Toilet Bandit's letter asserts that the commercial banks may be engaged in unlawfully levying penalty charges of a disproportionate nature from certain customers.

As you will also see, Mr Toilet Bandit believes that the OFT have been reluctant to intervene in this matter.

As this is a very serious issue, I should be most grateful if you could let me know whether the OFT has in fact investigated this question - and, if not, why it has not done so.

Yours sincerely,

Oliver Letwin

NW cashed £10 subject access request cheque on the 18th.

Sorry about the excessive detail in this case, it's keeping me up to date with where I am :confused:

nothing from NW as yet....all i've had is my MP's letter

Well tatty brown A4 envelope arrived this morning.....it's currently in a photoshop having glamour photos taken of it, will be going to post office later (as postmaster is a good friend of the family) to confirm that they received it like it is or whether it was damaged while being posted (my letterbox is a little small) then will be going to branch and filing a direct complaint about why use an unsuitable envelope etc.....will also be looking thru here as I seem to remember someone writing a letter about the state of the envelopes NW use, and i'll edit it around a bit...if someone knows the link to that post could they post it in this thread pretty please.....THEN, when I've done all that, I'll open the thing up and see how far back it goes....as from reading other posts they had a server mergey changeover thing with RBS which meant that they didn't know their ass from their elbow...

Am also clearing my overdraft as fast as I can so that if they do close the account it won't hurt as much, I'm thinking of deploying my parachute but just shopping around at the moment

Will keep you posted (no pun intended)

Mickie

Ok, envelopes glamour shots came back better than expected, went to post office and I have to go back tmrw morning :( (urgh...hate early starts) but i'll try and get it in writing that it arrived through their sorting offices in that condition...

Went to NW to complain, found the Customer Services Advisor that actually likes to help and advise the customers (a rarity):p and logged a complaint. He refunded me the £10 DPA fee and also gave me a printout of the cheque proving it had been cashed, anything to make my case a lil stronger I'm thinking. :D He also said to deal thru him too, which helps cuz all the others there are dragons and people looking to make a quick buck or two.

Will go to post office tomorrow and get a confirmation of how it arrived, get them to find out where the damage occurred, then will open the actual envelope (so tempting now but having to wait for postman, it's like getting a present before christmas and waiting till crimbo day when you're about 6):x and see whether I got the whole lot of it, or if I'm waiting for the second half, and I'll keep searching for the thread which mentioned a reply to NW arguing the case about using tatty old envelopes ( I think it's Vamp's thread but not sure....)

Mickie

Guest Lueeze

Geez US you ARE PATIENT!!!

I would be ripping the thing open, but pat on the back for going down this route!!!

Well done! Not long now...

Lou xx

Bandit, I never actually raised a complaint to Natwest by letter. My telephone complaint have the desired result of a refund for the service charge they'd applied for sending me the envelopes in such condition.

I did, however, write to my MP.

[

similar sort of result then, i took my (still unopened) letter into the branch and did my best whinge and the chap refunded my dpa request fee.....dunno if he'll get a b----king for it but frankly i dont care.....the git still owes me a pint

well post office couldn't help but say to complain to whoever sent me it, which I have already done via the branch....so I finally opened it and I got all my statements from 16 Feb 2001 which was a shock because I thought I'd opened my account earlier....you learn something everyday:p .

It all came with the standard:

Dear Mr Toilet Bandit

Your recent request for duplicate statements has been forwarded to this Office. Please find these enclosed.

Yours sincerely

(PP) Stuart Higley

Customer Relations

So gonna make a start counting them before I go to work......and I'll try and concoct a nasty letter.

Mickie

ok i know this has been answered so many times before but i just wanna make sure....

1) i cant claim for the Disadvantaged Mould (Advantage Gold) service I got talked into signing up?

2) can I claim for the interest taken from my account? I'm not sure whether it's interest accrued for being in my overdraft or going over my overdraft. I know it's something to do with going overdrawn cuz I didn't have any interest charged for the 1st 6 months (didn't go overdrawn).

If someone could get back to me would be appreciated.

Mickie

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks