Student Loans Company

abo999
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Anyone think it's worth a shot going after them? I've missed payments a few times over the years and they've charged me something daft like £20 a time for sending me a letter to inform me of the fact...

BATRacer: Browser-based motor racing simulation. Free to play :)

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6q0

Advice offered by abo999 is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it.

You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt

Halifax: £1299 settled in full, payment received

I'd appreciate a hard factual answer on this one, too. There are threads here and there on this board, but I can't find one where someone actually got their charges back.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

OB :)

Please read the Stickies and FAQs. Your question may have been answered already.

Old Bear vs. NatWest - won after first letter £600

Mrs Bear vs. Studio - won after first letter £360

Old Bear vs. Abbey - won after first letter - only £50, but it's the principle

Old Bear vs. Black Horse - £117 of charges wiped off 2 loans, but more WILL follow

Mrs Bear vs. Index (Littlewoods) - SAR sent - 2/2/2007

• 2 months later...
I'd appreciate a hard factual answer on this one, too. There are threads here and there on this board, but I can't find one where someone actually got their charges back.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

OB :)

Whoops, missed this - I tend to monitor "Other Institutions" and stumbled on this by accident.

YES! The SLC has repaid every single debt it incurred to me by applying unlawful penalty charges. Up until 2005 I'd fight the attempt to apply a charge, because the SLC's claims were demonstrably false (they'd claim I hadn't replied to a letter, I'd tell them they signed for it, etc). On every occasion the SLC withdrew its charge.

In 2005 the SLC claimed to have sent me two letters, and that I'd ignored them. I couldn't be bothered fighting, so just paid the charge and asked for a deferment form as I hadn't received it. The SLC ignored this letter (by their own admission - I got them to own up to that!) and increased (!) the charge. I got smart, discovered this website, demanded my money be returned, threatened court action, got my money back. I rinsed-and-repeated the following year.

My advice is: pay the charge, send a letter with payment requesting proof of the actual- or liquidated-costs incurred by the SLC as a result of your alleged breach of contract (set a deadline for their response), follow up with a letter-before-action (you have 10 days to respond or I sue), then sue. I've - sadly - never reached the "sue" stage... the SLC are cowards and bullies who don't want the bright lights of legal scrutiny glaring down on them.

Best of luck!

PS. Always send letters "recorded" or "registered" - the SLC will lose them otherwise (it may lose them regardless, but it's amusing watching them try to deny receiving a letter when the Royal Mail swear blind that the letter was signed for). Never phone or fax them - I had a colleague who showed me a 4 page fax she was sending to the SLC - the first 3 pages consisted of fax-cover sheets from the previous 9 times she had sent the same fax - the SLC "lost" it each time.

Best wishes

Livity (it's better than "free-dumb")

Yes, thanks for the answer on this! I'll be sending them a recorded delivery letter shortly. :D

BATRacer: Browser-based motor racing simulation. Free to play :)

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6q0

Advice offered by abo999 is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it.

You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt

Halifax: £1299 settled in full, payment received

• 1 month later...

I followed the standard steps that CAG recomend, the same steps that everyone else takes to recover charges from banks.

They put in a defence yesterday, but this morning I recieved an offer of settlement.

£80 more than I had claimed for in my particulars! :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/students/78206-noomill-student-loan-company-2.html