• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Posh Stars v Style

Posh Stars
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I called Style Financial Services (Owned by RBoS) and asked for a break down of the charges that have been applied to my account and who I could write to, I was told that each statement costs £5 per statement (I have the account for 6 years so I would have to pay £360 to get all my statements)

Firstly does any one know if they can charge me that amount?

Secondly when i was speaking to them they knew about the statement from OFT but said it would not come into effect till 31st May 2006 - is that true? and they said they would not be refunding any charges as they were all correct and justified.

I asked them to provide a complete breakdown of how they justified charging me £18 per month in interest on a balance of £700 and how they justified charging me £25, they told me if I wrote in I woudl get a standard letter, do you think this is just stalling tactics - and do you think i should still send and try and claim back the money?

Thanks in advance

V

It is not worth ringing them - they are working to a set script.

If you want your charges back you need to follow the process as outlined in the FAQ's and the step-by-step guide.

Thank you I only called to get the address and they asked what I wanted so I told them (I know foolish, but I am blond so what can i say!:) )

I will continue with the letter writing, Thanks so much

Guest Alison82

They will say anything to get rid of you and to take the potentional problem go away, all they can charge you for your statements is £10. Read the faq's and familiarise yourself with the process.

Good Luck

They will say anything to get rid of you and to take the potentional problem go away, all they can charge you for your statements is £10. Read the faq's and familiarise yourself with the process.

Good Luck

Not entirely true (as outlined in the FAQ) ;-)

The maximum they can charge you for personal information is £10 provided is can be accessed using a relevent filing system.

However, statements also hold information that isn't personal, and therefore than can charge pretty much what they like for it.

What they cannot charge more than a tenner for is a list of the charges made on the account, with dates, description and amount - as that information is personal to you, and personal information is covered by the Data Protection Act.

Subtle difference, but the difference in price that the mistake may cost isn't.

Also, as they have claimed that what they are doing is lawful, then you may as well get as much information as you can going back further than the 6 years. By them claiming what they are doing is legal, you have been misled and the truth about their debt to you has been concealed, therefore the 6 year 'rule' no longer applies in your case (or most other cases for that matter).

Have a search around for the limitations act and read more about it.

I don't fully understand it yet.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I've had bother from them too, apparantley they cant find my account details for my address?

They are on the DPA stage with me for another 16 days.

06th April 2006 Statements requested for last 6 yrs:

Bank of Scotland: Current account Breaching DPA

Royal Bank of Scotland: Style Breaching DPA

Capital One: Mastercard Request for £499.23 on the 17th April. £40 refunded to account on 26th April. Small claim hearing 27th June. Full refund and interest 24th May.

Coop: Crashed and burned into giving in Full and final offered 16 days after LBA ;)

Thats enough just now, more to come though

• 2 weeks later...

Have you had any success with Style? I have written to them giving another 7 days for the DPA request or its of the the information commisioner I go.

Capital One: Mastercard Request for £499.23 on the 17th April. £40 refunded to account on 26th April. Small claim hearing 27th June. Full refund and interest 24th May.

Coop: Crashed and burned into giving in Full and final offered 16 days after LBA ;)

Have you had any success with Style? I have written to them giving another 7 days for the DPA request or its of the the information commisioner I go.

Or the County Court, if you really want to put pressure on them - see the Bank Template Library under DPA Non-Compliance.

I sent a cheque off £10 for the info held on me under the DPA, I still have an "active account" with them. They have until mid June to send me the info or I will take further action.

Do you have any contact details? I'm trying through thr RBOS and they say information is being passed on.

Thanks Posh, I'll give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

I got MOST of my statements back from Style- just sent off the initial letter to them asking for £400 back they have till 27th June to responsd, then LBA will be sent!

They omitted about 6 months worth of statments should I let any financial body know about this cos surely they are not keeping in line with the DPA request I sent them?

Thanks

You need to let them know about the missing statements and allow them to provide them if possible. If they dont, then you should take this to the information commisioner. I am at that stage with Style and my complaint has been recieved, however I will not know the outcome for another 4 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, Just wondering how you have been getting on with your claim against Style. I am about to send them my request for charges letter although they haven't had a great deal of charges from me, it would amount to enough to clear my account with them and therefore enabling me to get rid of it for good! I am really interested in how your claim is going as there don't seem to be many people claiming against them on here. Cheers, Lel

My claim came to a stop due to not having the account number and their files being archived? The ICO wont support my request, but I have appealed. Got to wait and see.

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on either of your claims Posh Stars or lesleyN? I too am claiming from Style, I have sent a pre-lim and had a s*d off reply and have now sent an LBA. There doesn't appear to be many threads regarding Style and so I can't find much to compare my claim with. Any update on your claims would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi There

I am about to do battle with Style in the next few weeks.I am already into it with yorkshire bank.Will keep you informed regarding Style.How are you getting on with your claim?

;) If this helps please click the scales bottom left

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks