• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

The Pigeon vs The RBoS - Started 19/1/07

The Pigeon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I'm new here, just posted in the welcome forum :)

I've been a lurker on here for a while now, reading various cases with interest, and I must admit I feel a little intimidated about the chances of going to court, especially as the banks seem to be digging their heels in a bit more in recent months. However, my claim is quite small in comparison to others, so hopefully it won't go that far.

Question 1 - My six-year statements request arrived on Wednesday and I went through them and added up every CHG that I saw. Am I entitled to do this? Are there certain charges that cannot be reclaimed? The charges were usually failed direct debits, failed cheques and referral charges off the top of my head.

Question 2 - I worked out all the charges on my statements and it came to £591.37. I have not added any interest on to that, as interest confuses me big time. How much interest am I entitled to add on, if any?

Your help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,

The Pigeon

The Pigeon vs RBoS

03/04/07 - Prelim letter sent requesting £765

12/04/07 - Acknowledgement of letter - "We are considering your claim".

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/63021-pigeon-rbos-started-19-a.html#post724228

Hi there The Pigeon, firstly you can claim what is seen as charges, and cant claim what is seen as a service, will send a link to you to check.

Wise to read up regarding the interest however as a quick pointer

To claim contractual interest you need to state this in both your prelim and lba, for this you will need to know the interest rate your bank charges you, authorised/unauthorised.

to claim judicial interest at 8% this does not get added on until court stage so you do not add this on at prelim or lba.

you can claim what interest the bank have taken from you when you have been O/D it is a complicated business calculating but there are spreadsheets for this.

Many thanks George, I'll look into it.

Cheers bud.

The Pigeon vs RBoS

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/63021-pigeon-rbos-started-19-a.html#post724228

• 2 months later...

Been mega busy so only just sent off my preliminary claim today, for £765.

Fingers crossed everyone :)

The Pigeon vs RBoS

• 2 weeks later...

Letter arrived this morning!

Dear Mr Pigeon

Thank you for your letter dated 03 April 2007 regarding charges applied to your account.

We are currently considering your claim and will respond to you as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely,

Sandy Watt

I presume this is quite a generic reply? Happy though that the ball is now rolling and that they actually received my letter in the first place as I only sent it normal first class.

The Pigeon vs RBoS

HI I got the same style letter today in reply to my LBA. Quite a coincidence it was dated 5th April which was the 14th day after LBA sent ???

05/03/07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) handed in at branch

Found missing statements at home !!!!

08/03/07 Prelim+ schedule posted rec del

22/03/07 :mad: No reply to prelim LBA posted rec del

05/04/07 :mad: 14 days and no reply to LBA, sent e-mail

27/04/07 :D Offered FULL SETTLEMENT £3375

03/05/07 Cash in bank account :D :D

Hi everyone. Since I sent my preliminary claim on April 3, I have had about another £150 in charges. I'm due to send out my LBA on Tuesday/Wednesday and I was wondering if I can include these new charges in an updated spreadsheet?

Also, interestingly, I spoke to my bank on Friday about my new charges and I asked the assistant if they'd be willing to refund me my new charges, as I'm already in the middle of a claim and have had contact with head office about them. He said, a little shakily, that the new charges couldn't be refunded and if I was successful with my current claim (before I received these new charges of £150) then I would be agreeing to the terms of the refund which meant that I couldn't get charges refunded ever again - if I tried to, my account would be closed. I said when my money returns to me, I will be accepting it without any terms thank you very much, and he just stuttered and said...well, well, that's something you'll have to agree with head office......

The Pigeon vs RBoS

LBA will be sent in the morning to Mrs Watt.

The Pigeon vs RBoS

• 2 weeks later...

Had another letter back from Sandy Watt, exactly the same as the one I quoted in post #7. Suppose it's time to carry out my LBA threat...

The Pigeon vs RBoS

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, not heard from bank since my previous post and not carried out LBA threat yet. Left it a couple of weeks longer because I've been too busy with exams, but I'm now worried I've left it too late following the news about the TSB court victory :(

Advice please!

The Pigeon vs RBoS

They have 8 weeks to reply with their say on the matter as per FSA, if your lba times are over it is your decision on what to do next, you havent run out of time by not acting the only thing i would say is that the bank may see you as unsure in your claim of what action to take, have a few days thinking about what suits you best if that is to await their response due to personal circumstances then thats fine, by that time your exams will be over so if the response isnt what you were wanting you could then start legal action.

• 2 weeks later...

RESULT!

My mum just called me at Uni, said some post has arrived back home from the RBS. They've made a settlement offer of £765.00 which was my original claim back on April 3rd. At the LBA stage, my charges were £889.00 but I reckon that I'm gonna take the money and run. £765.00 is a lot to me and with the recent hoo-hah over TSB and their court case, I was concerned that I may never get a penny. :)

Thoughts anyone?

The Pigeon vs RBoS

My thoughts are to phone them and ask them for the rest you have come this far and to be honest they dont want to go to court so phone them and ask them.

Congrats so far let me know how you get on.

But what about the recent TSB case? I don't wanna risk losing the current offer.

The Pigeon vs RBoS

UPDATE

Just called RBS Customer Relations as on my settlement letter, Mark Douthwaite wrote that I should call him to discuss the offer if necessary. So I did - he was unavailable so I spoke to a kind lady (should have got her name come to think of it) and she said that on the acceptance form that came with the letter, I should acknowledge the further charges since my preliminary claim and they will take those into account! Sounded very simple, very happy with that though.

So, the offer was £765 but I should be looking at getting £889 back :)

The Pigeon vs RBoS

Now thats what you want.

All YOUR money back not a percentage, well done on phoning them, they dont want to be in court a lot more than you.

Cheers BV, you've been a big help.

The Pigeon vs RBoS