• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HBOS successfully defended claim for contractual rate. Court hearing date extended.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6258 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:mad: I sent the dpa letter to the bos. No reply after the 40 day deadline. Have sent another two also recorded delivery, all received, yet 70 days down the line not a single reply whatsoever. Can anyone advice me what to do now, as the bos are totally ignoring my three letters and are also breaking the law, by not responding within the 40 day dealine. The ICO are worse than useless, all they will do is also write to bos. All help much appreciated, thanks and take care.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent the dpa letter to the bos. No reply after the 40 day deadline. Have sent another two also recorded delivery, all received, yet 70 days down the line not a single reply whatsoever. Can anyone advice me what to do now, as the bos are totally ignoring my three letters and are also breaking the law, by not responding within the 40 day dealine. The ICO are worse than useless, all they will do is also write to bos. All help much appreciated, thanks and take care.

Local scottsih small claims court stated they ony deal with monetary claims and would not be able to assist me whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure they're mistaken; I'm sure that the same remedies open to English people under this British Law are available to Scottish people; the ICO helpline should be able to assist. But if they are not mistaken you could:

a) Put a nominal monetary value onto your claim; £5 for postage and phone calls etc., and file that WITH your request for an Order, or

b) Find someone in England willing to act as a correspondence address for you and file against them in England (using MoneyClaim OnLine), or

c) Do both.

Best of luck!

Hello puddock,

without any further delay, make a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner. They will force BoS to respond to them, which will in turn make them respond to you. It may take a while, but sooner or later you will get your data.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

I'm pretty sure they're mistaken; I'm sure that the same remedies open to English people under this British Law are available to Scottish people;
This is incorrect. The English and Scots legal systems are totally seperate and it is not safe to assume that that a legal requirement in England applies in Scotland. That being said however, the DPA is a UK wide piece of legislation, but before you can sue someone for non-compliance you need to get and opinion from the Information Commissioner. Therefore, the correct procedure in this case is to make a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner, and assuming it comes back in your favour, you then go to court to force compliance.

Incidentally, if you were told that you can only use Scottish small claims to recover money, you were misinformed. You can also claim for 'Delivery', provided that you include a monetary alternative (not greater than £750). So, you could word your claim to say that you want them to provide you with all the data you are entitled to or pay you £750 for the inconvenience you've been put to in chasing them.

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

As Robertxc says, a call to the Information Commissoner would be a good option at this stage - 01625545745.

See what they advise, I'd imagine it would be to lodge a complaint (which you should most certainly do) and let them investigate.

Just a thought - there's no mention in your original thread if you sent them the £10.00 fee or not.....

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Many thnaks for your reply. The £10 fee was sent, and cheque cashed by the bank. The ICO states they can only write to the bank and ask them to fulfill their legal obligations. ICO complaint lodged. I have also written to my MP. Thanks again.

Good stuff, you might be suprised at the amount if influence the ICO has actually - they seemed to give the Clydesdale Bank a sharp, firm boot in the nether-regions after they tried a similar tactic with us.

Let them do their thing, and see what happens.

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Yes that's right; and when the ICO writes to an organisation and says "Jump", the organisation WILL JUMP - and then ask if it was high enough and do they want them to jump again.

The ICO's word carries a lot of weight; don't dismiss them out of hand.

The Information Commissioner's role is to make an assessment as to whether or not the Data Protection Act is being complied with. They don't have any powers of enforcement. However, if you are armed with an assessment from them which says that the DPA has not been complied with, you can sue the offending bank and expect them to cave in pretty quickly. The reality is that if you have an assessment in your favour, the arument is effectively over.

The Information Commissioner's role is to make an assessment as to whether or not the Data Protection Act is being complied with. They don't have any powers of enforcement.

Are you certain of that last? I was pretty sure they did, but were extremely reluctant to use them...

[edit]In fact, here you go... http://www.ico.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?id=254

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 the Information Commissioner can:

• Serve an Enforcement Notice ordering compliance where there has been a breach or an ongoing breach of the Act, which requires data controllers to take specified steps or to stop taking steps in order to comply with the law.

[/edit]

Yes, but you missed the first bit:

Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 the Information Commissioner can:

Yes, but you missed the first bit:

Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 the Information Commissioner can:

No I didn't. That's a separate bit; later it says exactly what I posted:

...Serve an Enforcement Notice ordering compliance where there has been a breach or an ongoing breach of the Act, which requires data controllers to take specified steps or to stop taking steps in order to comply with the law.

No I didn't. That's a separate bit; later it says exactly what I posted:

...Serve an Enforcement Notice ordering compliance where there has been a breach or an ongoing breach of the Act, which requires data controllers to take specified steps or to stop taking steps in order to comply with the law.

I stand corrected. ;-)

Many thanks for all the kind adivce given by all. One other query that has just cropped up. My bank, the BoS is adamant that the OFT findings on unfair bank charges relates to consumer law only and does not relate to sole trader businesse at all. Therefore my claim according to them has no justification, and they will defend it vigourously.

Are they simply trying to delay or do they have a point?? If they are trying to bull**** me, surley they are being very silly by putting that misleading information in print to me?

Any thoughts most welcome.:)

Don't worry about what they say, they talk a load of flannel. Why would they have paid out so much if that was the case?

Get your info and go for it!

Sky x

BOS - Prelim letter del 19/5/06 LBA del. no response - filed 12/06

Clydesdale Financial Services - Gave them their chances off to court we go!

HSBC - Watch out I'm coming after you next!

If you like anything I say click the scales!

Puddock; as far as I'm aware, Contract Law extends to ALL contract parties, not just consumers.

The OFT Ruling was simply to assist consumers who were not already aware of the Law - which has been the way it is since 1977.

• 4 weeks later...

Puddock, what's the latest on this..?

Abbey - 547.00 settled in full.

Second claim: £204 WON.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Capital One Concluded £148

Kinda disappointed I've no more banks to go after now...

Hbos is still procrasinating, with delays on supplying the full subject data request. The ICO are taking on my complaint, but nothing happening at all.These delays will form part of my court case against them etc., etc.

Thanks for update. I am starting action tomorrow at Scottish court against Abbey for DPA non compliance. I have filled out forms 1 and 1b - do you think that's the right thing to do..? No-one seems to know, and all the information on DPA non compliance is English... Have you started the court process, or are you wating for IC?

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

I contacted my local Scottish small claims court, and spoke with the Procurator Fiscal, re non complance and he said I could not raise a case in the small claims court as non compliance had no monetary value. Whereas it appears to work in the English sytem, with a nominal value.

I then went through my original bank statements of 5 years ago and sent in a claim based on my own figures, limited to £750. Along with notes to the court regarding the banks non compliance, which to date they have still not fulfilled in full, about 80 days later. ICO not doing much at all. HBOS appear to simply procrastinate all the way along, in a bid to sicken me.

Hmm.. That's interesting Puddock. I think I may have some difficulty then. I jyst have a feeling.. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. thanks for all your help.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31