• Tweets

• No, but all you'd do is blindly run the statute barred date for another 18 months. Just sit on your hands until you get a letter of claim, then send a CCA request.  
    • Just like last time, Evri requested more time so they have another 2 weeks
    • Just an update, finance company rejected my complaint saying they've found damage but can't tell when it's from even though I've shown them how the front end is misaligned in the advert photos compared to another identical model car they're selling.  Dealership now want to charge me to get the car brought back to me but will only discuss over the phone which seems off. They're also saying no damaged was picked up by JLR main dealership before I purchased it but my local JLR dealerships till this day haven't mentioned the damage to me because they don't go into stuff like that for some reason lol  Ombudsman case is still open, not sure if I should leave the car with them or just pay to have it brought back.
    • Hi all, I get esa and pip,  I have £1200 in arrears that I owed my ex partner, I have been paying £100 per month to clear this debt that was setup by standing order, as I have complex needs I forgot about this standing order and have overpaid mainternance by around £4000, I told CSA I am happy for my ex partner to keep overpayment I do not wish to seek anything back, however they have declined to take of the sum of £1200 and are still saying I owe this to my ex partner. In my second question it was announced that pip would stop for mental health, I don't understand the link below Disability benefits system to be reviewed as PM outlines "moral mission" to reform welfare - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK The Prime Minister has outlined a package of sweeping reforms to put work at the heart of welfare and... Does this mean my money is going to stop? I have spoken to my key worker and I am already recieveing help from mental health team and complex needs team along with connections and mind, I just don't get what is going on.
    • No, i haven't had one for about 10+ years. I am thinking of just going to the court in person and pay at the counter
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Dessie v Abbey ***SETTLEMENT REACHED***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just been through all my statements for the past 4 years and used the spreadsheet to total up the charges. Since April 2002 I have paid £6116 in bank charges! A mixture of bad management to start with and then trying to juggle a bank account as the Abbey take more and more each month. They have now frozen my bank account and are making me pay back an amount against the outstanding charges each month before transferring the remainder to my savings account.

I know the limit on small claims is £5000, so is it worth putting in 2 claims when it goes that far or should I just strip down the claim so that it is under the £5000 in the first place?

1st Abbey claim settled 11th August - £5248.79

2nd Abbey claim started 21st September 2006

DPA letter posted 22nd September

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a think and I've decided to go with 2 claims, 2002/2003 and 2004/2005, after all the money is mine so why should I go for less!

There is a point you need to be aware of.... I have amalgamated recent posts on this subject into one response for you....

"If someone has a claim against a bank arising from, in this case, unlawful levy of penalty charges that have occured in the course of business, they all have to claimed at once, as they arise from the same facts. The facts being that they were levied for breach of contract. The reason for the breach e.g returned DD, bounced Cheque is not the matter at law; the matter at law is breach of contract and flowing from that are the charges a genuine pre-estimate or a penalty.

However, there is a way they could be broken up. If a series of charges arose, and those became the subject of a dispute and while that was ongoing or afterwards another set of charges occured that arose from the same set of circumstances than a second action could be brought.

However, nothing actually 'wrong' with trying, but it could cause problems later.

People should not be scared of the fast track - its the normal/standard procedure for cases going thru the system. There is no reason why a lay-person could not do a case themselves like on the small claim track. But a word of warning - costs are recoverable in a fast track, but limit is only up to £750 so it isn't the end of the world.

Fast track has its advantages - mainly that the judge will order standard disclosure - and the banks definitely don't want this as "Stephen" discovered with the Abbey."

If you are going to attempt a sever, your best bet would be to choose the time frame that would allow your fist claim total to be just short of £5000 rather than, say, just splitting it in half. If, for any reason, you are later unable to claim for the 2nd part, you will have recovered the largest part possible in stage 1.

John

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

OK, I understand that, it has been running through my mind that it was all referring to the same dispute and thus would be treated as the same 'case'.

I wont be greedy and will trim down the claim, seeing as I cant afford to go beyond the small claims court to go for the lot.

OK - in that case make you claim £4900 for instance.

If there is not problem later then you can still make a second claim.

I would not be tempted to make the first claim much lower in the hope that they don't notice, I think it's likely to have little effect on their actions - they either will know what to do or won't - if shouldn't depend on your claim value.

Hope that makes as much sense reading as it did writing!

• Confused 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks Jonni

Letter is going off on Tuesday :D

Letter posted this morning for a claim of £4985.00

Nice one...

Will keep an eye on your posts for further info.

Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...

Letter received today from 'Complaints'

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks you for contacting us and I am sorry that you have been so unhappy that you felt you must complain.

One of my team will be responsible for investigating your complaint and I have enclosed our complaints leaflet, which explains our procedure for doing this. High quality customer service is of great importance to us at Abbey and we will do everything we can to resolve your complaint in a timely and satisfactory manner.

I know it is important to you that we resolve your complaint quickly, but we want to do a thourough investigation and sometimes this can take time. If we have not contacted you before then, we will write to you in 4 weeks to let you know what is happening.

Although I do not know what the outcome will be, I do hope that we will be able to find a solution you are happy with.

Yours sincerely

Marc Winder

Head of Complaints

A few thoughts:

1. 'so unhappy' - no sh*t Sherlock!

2. Complaints leaflet = a very badly photocopied document on Abbey letterhead, they must have run out of the original document!

3. The final sentence about them finding a solution that I will be happy with - are they admitting that I will get what I want already?

Oh, and I had a call from Abbey Debt Management yesterday asking why there hadnt been any money paid into the account this month. The girl on the phone seemed totally unphased after I had explained that my salary was being paid elsewhere as I was disputing the charges on my account.

Standard fob off letter received today - charges not unfair, you should have said at the time blah blah blah.

14 days or else letter in the post tomorrow :D

• 1 month later...

Dessie

I have just received a copy of a standard letter the same as yours regarding my complaint with Black ink mark down the side of the letter. Its obviously a standard reply. What did you do after this letter? Did you give them time to investigate your claim?

As everyone else has done, just follow YOUR timetable.

As you said it is a standard letter, they have probably just filed your letter without even reading it. Their reply is to make you wait 8 weeks by which time they pronbably wouldnt get back to you anyway, they are hoping you will drop it or forget to take it further.

Payment accepted, claim being served.

14 days from then til judgement day lol

Ok so it will be more like 28 days but the wheels are in motion.

ooohhhh good luck keep us posted!

Data Protection Act letter sent 10/04/2006,

priliminary letter sent 23/05/06,

LBA sent 7/06/06

claim issued 23/06/06

deemed to be served 25/06/06

Abbey Acknowledged with intent to defend, they have got until: 23/07/06

50% offered + interest, rejected: 21/07/06

AQ recieved 27/07/06,

AQ posted back 09/08/06

Court date 13/12/06

• 2 weeks later...

Claim has been acknowledged as of 29th June, so 28 days now from date the claim was served - 25th July is 'd-day' unless they pull their finger out!

Received letter from Piper Rudnick (not signed by an individual, how rude is that!!!!!) requesting proof of claim.

How surprised will they be when I send then a huuuuuuuge pack with copies of all my statements for the period concerned and a spreadsheet precis!

oh btw I am claim number 6QZ39581, Northampton CC

Now posted in Litigation - best of luck

Just finished photcopying all the statements, I was going to highlight all the entries but I thought, no, sod it, they can get one of their trainees to check it all through!

Pack of about 100 sheets of paper just about to go down to the post office.

I sense it might be too late, but why are you sending them copies of the statements?

Just as evidence of the amount claimed as Piper Rudnick have asked for.

Ahh - in which case a spreadsheet would have sufficed. No problem, however...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks