• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclays appear to know something we don't

bankoff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine, was advised by his Bank Mananger at Barclays to

"hold off claiming the charges as it will all be sorted by the end of May"

Any takers on this one.

I told him to carry on claiming. BM only playing for time.

At the end of May the Bank have to report back to the OFT with regards to the OFT guidance that such penalty charges are excessive.

• Confused 1

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

Thanks Maxie

Am sure I read that somewhere else.

I hope they don't decide that £12 is fair because its not.

I think it could rumble on for months, don't you?

You're quite right in telling him to keep going. Even if the banks drop charges to £12 (and they won't, only the c/c companies will), previous charges will still be there to be reclaimed. There's nothing to be gained by delaying, not for us anyway!

You're quite right in telling him to keep going. Even if the banks drop charges to £12 (and they won't, only the c/c companies will), previous charges will still be there to be reclaimed. There's nothing to be gained by delaying, not for us anyway!

Agreed. Also, £12 is the limit after which the OFT will definitely get involved. It is an absolute maximum and the banks will either -

1) Agree, therefore admiting all previous charges to have been unlawful

2) Disagree, in which case the argument will drag for many more months.

However, it seems a bit too stupid of Barclays to assume it will all be sorted in May, so I'm wondering if there is something we don't know.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

It's largely academic if they do are do not.

The case law is still relevent and that is the argument that we are fighting with.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Yes, definitely - the law is still the same but we're assuming this is related to the OFT ruling. I'm just wary that they are up to something else.

I guess we'll just have to wait and find out unless we hear more from any bank people here.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

I remember similar accounts when it was announced that the OFT would make an announcement in 8 weeks time (this was the last announcement).

Before it was made, all the banks were said to have issued memos round stating that we'll pay charges back for now, "but wait until after the OFT announcement; then we'll fight back."

Yeah, ok - so where are you then?

I, for one, want to see it.

The banks will drag this out for a long while yet - the OFT DIDN'T investigate charges for current accounts (they just said that the same priciple applies to the bank charges as to the credit card charges) - and the banks will argue that these charges are substancially different to the charges made by credit card companies and demand that an investigation takes place before any recommendations are made - which, if you think about it, is quite a reasonable request (if it were true that the charges actually were different).

And I believe a judge would uphold that argument - as far as the OFT has gone regarding bank accounts, they have really just said "oh, and by the way, we expect the current account providers to do the same as the credit card companies." without an investigation. I believe that an investigation will be ordered by a judge once the banks fight the OFT in court.

The last investigation into the credit card charges took 2 years - I imagine the same will be true of the bank charges.

They are going to counter every angle, so it will be as drawn out as possible - that way, if they can drag it out for 2 years with a few lawyers on about 200+k per year, then they can potentially make an extra 8 billion quid.

From their point of view, it's well worth doing, I would say.

Even without the OFT ruling OR the Unfair Terms in Consumer Credit Act, we still have the case law that is set in stone - I fought all my cases using those principles and each and every time the bank has backed down and returned my cash.

Nothing has changed - I got my money back before the sh*t hit the fan - now it has (thanks in no small part to this site), the law is still the same - whatever laws come after cannot affect the case law.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

if they can drag it out for 2 years with a few lawyers on about 200+k per year, then they can potentially make an extra 8 billion quid.

From their point of view, it's well worth doing, I would say.

yeah absolutely, bit of a no-brainer really when you put it like that...

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

Even without the OFT ruling OR the Unfair Terms in Consumer Credit Act, we still have the case law that is set in stone - I fought all my cases using those principles and each and every time the bank has backed down and returned my cash.

In that case, dave, do you think that the LBA and Particulars of Claim templates ought to include references to the case law? If not, how will the bank know that you intend (if the case ever gets to court) using those principles?

The particulars of the claim do include a paragraph that states :

The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

The cases that back this up will be available to you to back up the claim - although it's reasonable to expect the judge to know the law ;-)

The 1999 regs really just re-enforce the case, although they have never been tested in court - the punitive v liquidated damages argument has been tested in court - A LOT!!

------------

------------

Thanks dave. I was really thinking about the bank, rather than the judge, at this stage. I thought that if I didn't mention the case law in the claim, the bank might not realise that I was aware of it, so they might not be so inclined to back down as you suggest.

But I assume from what you say that, if I use the "punitive" paragraph in the claim, it will be obvious to the bank (or at least to their solicitors) that I know about the case law. Is that right?

I had always thought that when preparing the case after the claim is registered with the Court, any legislation and previous cases you are to rely on will be in the summary you will provide to the Courts in advance of the hearing. That should go to the other side as well.

There should be no surprises in Court so it should all be in the open before then but that does not mean it has to be said in the letter before action. Still sometimes it can be very satisfying to throw the odd case in just to make the bank a bit concerned and realise you actually know what you are doing.

As long as you have read around the forum it is possible to add some reference to the letter if you want. I have, but I'm still battling away so it is not a magic wand.

Thanks for your thoughts Jones's. In my own case the LBAs had already been sent, so I was mostly concerned with the Particulars of Claim on the court claim.

I knew that I would need to be open about the case law in the lead up to a court hearing, but I wondered if it would be a good thing to mention it in the Particulars - as you say, just to make them realise (now) that I know about the cases. Most of us hope for a settlement without it getting to a hearing, so I figured anything that might help to persuade the bank to pay up sooner was worth considering.

In the end I didn't mention the case law in the Particulars. Dave's words of wisdom (and limited space on the form!), helped me to decide not to bother. I still think it would be worth referring to the cases in the preliminary letter template though.

I know what you mean about magic wands! That's why it's worth thinking about all these little wrinkles - anything that might help grind the bank down!

I thought that if I didn't mention the case law in the claim, the bank might not realise that I was aware of it, so they might not be so inclined to back down as you suggest.
I think in all honesty, every bank that receives a preliminary letter for request (or indeed a DPA request...) will know exactly why they are getting it, and where from. There really is no need to mention the case law for now...they KNOW it will form part of your claim...

As Jones said - it is good to hold back a while, and let THEM find out that you know what you are talking about...

See the steps I took to get my bank charges back.

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Thank you Consumer Action Group.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks