• Tweets

• Actually there wasn't a massive amount of work to do on the WS.  The "meat" was there because of the great work you'd already done. Here is a version which I think is nigh-on finished. However, with Easter there are a few days for the other regulars to suggest tweaks. Defendant WS.pdf
    • Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

can anyone offer some advice or guidance on mis sold endowments

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone.

I was wondering if someone may be abale to offer some advice regarding mis sold endowments.

in 1990 my mother and father re mortgaged their house and the financial adviser told them the best option for them was an endowment mortgage ( infact it was best for him in the way of commision which he never told mum and dad) he told them that the endowment would pay off the mortgage and would give them loads of cash left over which is now not the case.he also didnt look into the fact that the endowment would continue past dads retirement.

its horrible seeing my parents suffering and struggling to meet their outgoings because of some leech of a salesman and i want to help them out but dont know where to start. iam ok dealing with banks as i have a claim going on against lloyds ( largely thanks to all the advice from the C.A.G and everyone associated with it) but im not sure where to start or how

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Paul

The first thing to do is write a letter of complaint to the financial adviser that sold the endowment. They will reply and send you a leaflet detailing the way forward.

HSBC

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3078

24th October - LBA

7th November - Claim filed

11th November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Defence filed

16th December 2006 - Offered full amount but no default removal. Rejection letter sent.

Halifax

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3427

24th October - LBA

3rd November - Offered £913

3rd November - Accepted as partial payment

7th November - Claim issued

21st November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Offered full amount but no late payment removal

4th January - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

A & L

19th October - Prelim for £540

26th October - Offered £358

2nd November - Accepted as partial payment and LBA

27th November - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

Hi alexifa.

thanks, since i posted this thread i came accross the Which ? website which has a letter template so i am gonna fill it in with dad 2morrow and get it sent off to them asap.

thanks again

regards

paul

Can you make a claim on mis sold Endownment policy even after it has been surrendered ?

Just curious as I split from ex 6 yrs ago and about 5 yrs ago house etc was sold and we surrendered the policy to the original provider.

Bearing in mind that the same provider was done when they mis advised me regarding personnal pension and had to pay out a fair bit in compensation.

Just I am running out of things to claim for now too..lol

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

You can still complain even if you've surrendered it, yes.

HSBC

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3078

24th October - LBA

7th November - Claim filed

11th November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Defence filed

16th December 2006 - Offered full amount but no default removal. Rejection letter sent.

Halifax

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3427

24th October - LBA

3rd November - Offered £913

3rd November - Accepted as partial payment

7th November - Claim issued

21st November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Offered full amount but no late payment removal

4th January - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

A & L

19th October - Prelim for £540

26th October - Offered £358

2nd November - Accepted as partial payment and LBA

27th November - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

LOL getting to be a bit of a hobby for you, Ian... ;)

Hey Demon..Dont blame me its all CAG's fault..lol :p

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Hi

Sorry dont mean to hijack thread what happens if the person who sold the endowment has now left the firm (9) years ago and i cant get an address for him.

thanks Al.:)

-------------------------

CAPITAL ONE * SETTLED*31st Oct 06

HBOS *SETTLED* 8th Oct 06

WOOLWICH *SETTLED*12thJan2007

Monument (Barclays) *SETTLED*10thMar2007

There is a get out clause by the endowment companies, if they have sent you a letter saying that there will be a shortfall, then there is a limited time from the receipt of the letter for you to complain, so please bear this in mind...

PINKPETAL

Lloyds TSB (1) Statements received

LLoyds TSB (2) Statements Received

LLoyds TSB (3) Statements received

Halifax Credit Card (1) Statements received

Halifax Credit Card (2)

SARS request Sent

RBOS (Halifax) Credit Card (3) SARS has Elapsed, on 54 days now

Barclaycard - Goodwill offer of £264.00 :mad:

Hi e28,

Even though the employee has left the company that sold you the policy the company have of course Vicarious Liability for the Actions, Omissions and Misrepresentations of the salesman who was an employee carrying out duties on behalf of the company.

Hope that Helps..

Ian

• Haha 1

Hi e28,

Even though the employee has left the company that sold you the policy the company have of course Vicarious Liability for the Actions, Omissions and Misrepresentations of the salesman who was an employee carrying out duties on behalf of the company.

Hope that Helps..

Ian

Thankyou very much:) i may well be back:o

AL

-------------------------

CAPITAL ONE * SETTLED*31st Oct 06

HBOS *SETTLED* 8th Oct 06

WOOLWICH *SETTLED*12thJan2007

Monument (Barclays) *SETTLED*10thMar2007

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Ring up the life company direct. They usually have a department which deals with mis- sold policies. I did that with the Pru and told them we were promised that it would pay off mortgage and have a bit left over. They investigated and then made us an offer. Not enough to cover the short fall though.

• 3 months later...
There is a get out clause by the endowment companies, if they have sent you a letter saying that there will be a shortfall, then there is a limited time from the receipt of the letter for you to complain, so please bear this in mind...

Hi, you say there is a get out clause if they have sent out the "you will be short letter" Well we had ours with an amber warning, but i cant remeber when they sent it out (no date on letter!!), what is the cut off date if they have warned us?

edit: just found a date on the letter saying the illustrations have been calcualted at 8/05/06 so is this too long to claim?

Thanks

Nadia.

------------------------------------------------

Barclays Current Account - S.A.R 22/09/06 - Prelim sent 23/10/06 - part pay accepted - sent LBA 16/11/06 - Payment out of court March 07. Hooray!

Capital One Credit Card - Sent S.A.R 22/09/06 - statements recived 30/10/06 - Settled Dec 06.

Egg Credit Card - Sent S.A.R 22/09/06 - statements recieved 30/10/06- about to send prelim

Barclaycard - S.A.R 22/09/06 - Microfishe letter - non com. 29/09/06. - wont comply letter - 16/10/06 16 days left- getting nowhere letter back! 16/11/06 Information Commissioners Office compaint - 18/12/06-Statments sent - prelim going out 24/5/07.

Virgin/MBNA - S.A.R 22/09/06 - part pay accepted - settled.

• 3 months later...

please can anyone help. this seems to be a good thread to ask for some.:)

i'm tring to sort out my mum and dad endowment policy as being missold, however wherever i look for information on this i keep getting a date of 28 august 1988 where theres is nothing anyone can do about anything to do with misselling, shortfall or anything.;) the sad thing is my parents got their endowment in August 1987. how frustrating!!!

just to clarify, is there anything i can do with a missold endowment which started in august 1987?????

Hi ericollyandyoyo,

the thing is we complained to the fsa and the ombudsman and they refused to take on our complaint as it was outside the 6 year period. the mortgage endowment was sold by a salesman who worked directly for guardian royal exchange as they were back then.

how do you go about taking on this type of complaint?

regards

paul

Guardian are one of the very worst companies to deal with and they got their shortfall letters out early so almost everything is time barred. If it is more than 3 years since the first letter stating the words 'high risk' then they will object to FOS looking at the case regardless of your parents circumstances.

i am afraid there is nothing more that can be done

sorry to hijack again ;)

i sent a letter to standard life regarding misselling and got a reply saying

"thank you for contacting us about your endowment.

we've investigated your complaint and found that personal & general ins servs, sold your plan in august 1987.

the FSA regulates standard life. it is an FSA rule that complaints about the sale of a plan must be raised with the company that sold it.

IFAs can recommend a product from any provider across the financial services sector. standard lifes role is to provide quotations requested by IFA, process the application and set up the plan that you choose.

As personal & general ins servs, were responsible for the sale, they are obliged to investigate your complain. our records show that they may no longer be trading or authorised to give financial advise."

they then go on to give us the last known address and other options like complaining to FSCS. (these don't deal with plans sold before 28 august 1988)

I'm confused (still :) ) i don't think i have any case because the people who sold the endowment (personal & general ins servs) don't seem to be around anymore and there doesn't seem to be anyone who can help:( .

any advise truly appriecated

jster

Nowhere to go with this one either I am afraid. As you have identified FSCS only apply to post August 1988 sales and as the broker has gone there is no-one to claim against.

One very faint glimmer of hope is Standard Life record keeping. I have seen many cases from them where they have identified the wrong company. If the name of the broker is not familiar to your parents, ask for copies of any original documentaion to confirm what your parents are being told

many thanks eric.

i kinda thought this was a no go....which is a shame as my parents had to take out a repayment mortgage to ensure they pay the whole amount. i get confused with mortgages they can be very complicated :o .

anyway they have continued to pay the endowment because there is only a few years left. so at least they will get something at the end of it.

my mum seemed to think the original company who sold the endowment moved to or got bought out by another compant who are local to us. so we will have a look into that and then i think we will give up. :(

at least we had a go:)

many thanks again

J:)

• 10 years later...