• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

TheNorthernWarrior v Northern Bank Ltd. ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I went in and asked for my charges and statements for the last 6 yrs. I had to wait 2 weeks before they gave it to me, but they did, no questions asked! I submitted my first letter but failed to add the interest over the overdraft (get my drift) and asked for the 8% instead. I got muddled up with which interest. I received a letter 5 days later to say that the matter was being investigated and i would receive a reply in 20 days time. This is a fob off and I now realise I have to stick to my own timetable. Even though I forgot to ask for the other interest, i think they are getting off a bit lightly, but this weekend I will be drafting my second letter. Do I wait another 14 days for response to that? When I apply online to the small claims court, and fill in the online form, is that all there is to it or have I to download the form and send it off to the Northern Bank or will the court send me out details as well as to the bank? Anyone out there with the Northern and already past stage 2 or thinking about it?

nervous

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

please read my threads-they will explain all you need to know.Do a search for lickthewallfatboy V Northern Bank,and Breaking news Northern Bank settle.I have claimed successfully,not once,but twice.The second thread does not include the out of court settlement for claim no 2.Hammer the living daylights out of them-they are a frustrating bunch of messers.And don't forget to open a parachute account immediately.You won't even get to court-Northern will string you out but will settle out of court.I have reclaimed £5000 approx in total.

When you file your claim online,then you can claim interest-NOT BEFORE!The online claim site takes care of everything-they will do all the paperwork at the Chichester street Office in Belfast.

• Haha 1

please read my threads-they will explain all you need to know.Do a search for lickthewallfatboy V Northern Bank,and Breaking news Northern Bank settle.I have claimed successfully,not once,but twice.The second thread does not include the out of court settlement for claim no 2.Hammer the living daylights out of them-they are a frustrating bunch of messers.And don't forget to open a parachute account immediately.You won't even get to court-Northern will string you out but will settle out of court.I have reclaimed £5000 approx in total.

When you file your claim online,then you can claim interest-NOT BEFORE!The online claim site takes care of everything-they will do all the paperwork at the Chichester street Office in Belfast.

I've put you on my buddy list. You are amazing and I am thrilled that we have someone as bold and strong like you in N.I. It's about time we all fought back against this farcical institution such as these pathetic 'gods' who seem to think 'we' the lower echelons of society are too terrified in fighting for our rights. I haven't opened a new account yet, but I will. We are moving anyway, so they will lose our mortgage as well. When we had financial problems ( my redundancy) they didn't want to know. They wouldn't extend our overdraft and yet they kept taking our money with referral fees!! They make me puke, so yes I fully support and congratulate you on your successes. The only thing is,- I included the 8% interest because as I said i didn't get a break down of the interest charged on me going overdrawn on the overdraft. Instead I added all the fees and one interest charge that occurred twice in one month but different deductions. Let them work out if they are so bothered. Please keep watching my thread, because I know i will be calling on you for help once I've posted off my 2nd letter this weekend threatening court action! I'll need advice for the court form. Do I fill in one at the same time i post the letter to the bank or should I wait and see what they say? In the past when I went in about referral fees, I have to admit, they did pay me back, except this last time when last July, they only gave me back 3/4 ofwhat i had asked for. Made no difference, they kept on charging anyway.

nervous

thanks,Pogo, the only thing I am a bit sceptical about is that when i added up my referral fees,unpaid cheques, there were also fees that i noted was roughly the same amount as a referral fee but was not a referral fee even though i was overdrawn, if you know what i mean, i didn't add the interest that i would have been charged on going over the overdraft, i did include the 8% interest in my first letter and i am still going to include it in my second, the bank can go to hell, it's going to be given to me anyway, so I will stick with it. There was also an interest charge that was debited from my account twice. They were different amounts but done within a few days apart, so i also included that, i just hope my total amount is correct? I guess if it isn't they will deduct it or just not offer the correct amount. Anyway, tomorrow (Sat) i will be writing my 2nd letter and sending it recorded delivery on Monday. I'll come on line tomorrow, but in the meantime, i'll just copy the 2nd template on the relevant page?

nervous.

I'll help you any way I can.

Stick to the timetables as laid out in the site FAQ's-give them no excuse to wriggle!!

I have the wording needed for particulars of claim when you need it.

Is it the same as the second template? I will be writing one tomorrow and posting it recorded delivery on Monday. 14 days for that one too, right? Do I wait for reply then, or do I just go ahead to the online court?

thanks,lickthewallfatboy,

nervous

I'll help you any way I can.

Stick to the timetables as laid out in the site FAQ's-give them no excuse to wriggle!!

I have the wording needed for particulars of claim when you need it.

Hi,LTWFB, did you include the bit that includes threatening them with the consumer credit act to the ombudsman written in blue at the end of the 3rd template letter?

nervous

Is it the same as the second template? I will be writing one tomorrow and posting it recorded delivery on Monday. 14 days for that one too, right? Do I wait for reply then, or do I just go ahead to the online court?

thanks,lickthewallfatboy,

nervous

yes-give them the full 14 days and then off to court they go!!

I didn't use the bit about the consumer credit act as mentioned in your last post

I didn't use the bit about the consumer credit act as mentioned in your last post

Thanks,lickthewallfatboy, I have just sat down and gone through my bank statements again! I keep checking over and over again the amount they owe and I always keep getting the wrong balance. Anyway, I know I am under the amount,(probably by about £50.00) but I'll leave it,just in case, I have made a right hooha and charged more than I should have. I am now a bag of nerves, even though I know they will have to pay up, but there is always a chance that they could make a scapegoat out of someone, but the fact that Anaconda is going for gold, is a real confidence booster.

My third letter will be the threatening of court with my demand of £3857.88 (incl.of the 8% interest) so wish me luck. Will let everyone know what's going on and I will still be checking this site constantly.

nervous.

Hi again, I have been reading the spreadsheets with calculated contractual interest and now I am wondering if i should have gone down that route. I wrote my first letter using Moneywise template and this web site is more detailed. I don't know what the contractual interest is because we always chuck their bumpf in the bin. Should I start again or just continue?

nervous

Hi again, I have been reading the spreadsheets with calculated contractual interest and now I am wondering if i should have gone down that route. I wrote my first letter using Moneywise template and this web site is more detailed. I don't know what the contractual interest is because we always chuck their bumpf in the bin. Should I start again or just continue?

nervous

Hmmm, still haven't sent off my 'prior to court letter', discovered a few more charges that were owed to me. Would this mean that i will have to start again and send off prem letter or just go ahead as planned. This now takes me over £2669.88 minus interest!

does anyone have any advice?

nervous

Hmmm, still haven't sent off my 'prior to court letter', discovered a few more charges that were owed to me. Would this mean that i will have to start again and send off prem letter or just go ahead as planned. This now takes me over £2669.88 minus interest!

does anyone have any advice?

nervous

Posted all copies of statements and LBA by recorded delivery yesterday, (16/01/07) and so Head Office will hopefully have received all to-day. Yes, I am extremely nervous, but when I think back to the time when I questioned some referral fees a few years back, they credited the fees back to my account and they did the same last summer, so it is quite obvious that they know they are in the wrong in the first place because if they weren't , why not question the deductions in the first place!! It's only because we are claiming thousands and not £25.00 plus at one time!!

Anyway 14 days from today, I will be filing online to court ( i know they will not pay me my £4,000.00) and I realise i will have to just file for £2000.00 and then go through the whole process again. I have to admit though, I have seriously felt like giving up, and then I remember their attitude when i got some of the fees back and I know I am right in fighting for MY money. So everybody out there, claim back what is rightfully yours!

nervous.

P.S. Fingers crossed, my heart is beating ninety to the dozen! Watch this space!

Hi Nervous, I assume that these charges are transaction chrages for going overdrawn in the first instance.

Most people have added these charges on to their claim, and so I would personally be inclined to do so aas well.

from my point of view they have already penalised you i.e the £25.00 per item , they are then further penalising you for each transaction.

An interesting point here is that these are more likely to be the actual processing costs to the bank on customers going overdrawn , but in effect they have penalised customers twice which further raises the question of what exactly is the referral fee for?

Why charge customers twice for the same items?

Hi Nervous. i included everything that they added on. It was not questioned. They paid up on frid 12th. the court date was set for the 18 th jan. Over £2300

Hi Pogo, that was brill! I have actually sent them a letter for £4000.00 including the stat.interest. I know, you're not supposed to, but i just thought i'd go ahead anyway. If they don't reply within the time frame, i will send them another 'final letter' for £2000.00, apply to the court on-line and claim again.

Hi everyone, new update!

Received letter from Northern Bank today, (Nuala Walsh) to inform me 'that with reference to my letters dated the 30th December2006 and the 15th January 2007,they are thanking me for bringing my concerns to their attention.

She then goes on to state that the manager of the said branch had acknowledged my complaint and was conducting an investigation into it and would then respond as soon as his investigation is complete.This is in accordance with the Bank's Internal Complaint Procedures. I have enclosed a copy of this letter for your records.

Ms. Walsh proceeds to continue by adding that ' I have been in contact with Alan (to us plebs, that is the branch manager and why she deems it necessary to address him by his christian name to me, who is not a friend and this is supposed to be a business letter?) he has advised me that the investigation is still ongoing and he will respond to me in due course as the Bank's Internal Complaint Procedures. All complaints are taken very seriously and I have asked Alan (here we go again, famliarity) to keep me advised of the outcome and I trust the matter may soon be resolved to your satisfaction. She then encloses the same leaflet that i had been sent first time round advising me of their complaints procedures. How dumb are these people?! Since i had sent off not once, but twice photocopies of my statements and not the spreadsheets (to save time for them) all he has to do is to go down the sheets and add the charges up. I had even circled everything for them!! They really make me sick! When the letter arrived i must admit i buried my head into my hands and my heart was pounding away in the next field,and then when i opened it i shook the letters thinking that maybe, just maybe there may have been a cheque? So, i guess my date of the 30th January will be the day i lodge my court claim! What sickens me is that they are being hounded day in and day out and know that they eventually willbe paying up, so why carry on like this?

I will be needing help for the online claim (filling in) and will be looking for all help , thanks LTWFB, who has already offered.

Has anyone seen the article in The Daily Mail today on page 7? Another success story, only this time the guy had to send in the bailiffs. Well done and bring on the courts!!

nervous

Hi Nervous.

I was also expecting a "nasty" letter but its the same b**hit as before. The only difference with your claim and ours is that we have long since left the Northern Bank.

I actually dont want them to pay out too quickly. I want the chance to add on interest!!!

Our claim is little in comparison to yours but "every little helps".....smiles

Hi Nervous.

I was also expecting a "nasty" letter but its the same b**hit as before. The only difference with your claim and ours is that we have long since left the Northern Bank.

I actually dont want them to pay out too quickly. I want the chance to add on interest!!!

Our claim is little in comparison to yours but "every little helps".....smiles

That wouldbe the 8% interest, right?

nervous

Yes....8% is your statutory right.

BUT if I am feeling particularly greedy and want a whopping big headache and threaten myself with a stroke or heart-attack I could try and manage to calculate what some are calling "contractual interest".

Life's too short for the hastle.....I think.....smiles.

Yes....8% is your statutory right.

BUT if I am feeling particularly greedy and want a whopping big headache and threaten myself with a stroke or heart-attack I could try and manage to calculate what some are calling "contractual interest".

Life's too short for the hastle.....I think.....smiles.

I know what you mean. I actually have added my 8% stat.interest onto my charges, because that was one of two choices in Martin Lewis's reclaim bank charges. I think this site is probably more legal orientated and because I don't know how to begin with the contractual interest on the charges i think i'll leave it out, even though the bank is probably being let off rather lightly. They wouldn't do it for me! I also included the fees onto my charges, you know when they do the fees and interest twice yearly? Well, i included two, because i thought they were very high!!?

I'm reading 'Teebum v abbey' and i'm not sure if i start to file for court action now? There is a N1 form to fill in, do we do that now or what?

nervous

yes.....Martin did say it was your choice as to when to add the 8%.

But you MUST give the Northern Bank the 14 days as stated on your letter threatening them with court action.

Keep cool and calm.

You have to be seen to be level headed and knowing what you are doing.

Of course this is only my opinion.

So I will wait to the last day of Jan instead before filing the NI form. I expect I will be needing help with that too and that makes me really nervous....smiles.

Be patient!

Are you a woman? Hubby says I have no patience either!....lol.

Yes, i am female. Are we so typical? I get extremely impatient especially when i know that people are in the wrong, such as the Northern.

You and I are at the same stage, so we will at least be able to help each other. I am posting my claim online first. i know i seem to be rushing the boat, but i am really just anticipating every thing that i feel is going to happen and i like to be prepared. I just wish the wholething was over. I only realise how right i am when i log into the forum and see how many others have been in the same boat. Keep in touch.

nervous.

the reason they keep dragging their heels is a simple one-they are making money by investing the charges they have taken from you in the markets.The longer they keep it off you,the more they make....

And I'll literally eat my hat if they go to court with either of you ;)

they are scared stiff of going and losing,then all the publicity this would attract will mean everybody would be over them like a rash.