• Tweets

• let the ombudsman do their job. you'll win handsdown you dont obv owe OVO p'haps anything at all.  dont worry about Past Due credit or any other DCA ( THEY ARE NOT BAILIFFS!) as for you being added to the debt, thats quite OK, you were a resident adult and equally liable under law. once you start getting things moving via the  ombudsman dont forget to get your credit files cleansed of any negative data & seek compensation for distress etc, again the  ombudsman should sort both out for you. as you are now NOT a customer of OVO, there is very very little they can do to you now.  
    • A question - did you use the supermarket or the restaurant? I see the restrictions are different. Sign.pdf
    • DN is ok DCA NOA is ok, though not one from Newday saying they've sold it. agreement states esigned on a sunday at 11am?? really??  but no typed names or tick box nor any IP address used. if the date is correct then poss ok, it that your correct address for that time of take out? but if not, then that could simply be a copy of someone elses they've used with you details copy'n'pasted over theirs. the agreement details separate T&C's in at least 8.4. a full set of T&C containing your correct address for the time MUST be included. failure renders the agreement unenforceable... have you the T&C's too? dx
    • Npower and Scottish Power and others have always had regulations that require them to treat customers fairly - the threads here and my experiences demonstrate that those regs are little more than useless.   Even Octopus recently spent month after month saying they needed to increase my monthly payments despite my credit balance slowly going up TWICE I had to reset it online back to prior payment as they unilaterally increased it unilaterally. Raised formal complaint and they than said i was paying too much and reduced the payment, again without my agreement, although that time at least they told me they were doing it.   .. and Octopus has been one of the better ones.    
    • Thank you. You left all your personal details showing on the invoice, but I've removed them. From Googling it seems the free parking is limited to one hour.  You stayed two.  There is no point appealing, you did overstay.  That's apart from the fact the private parking companies are just interested in £££££ and never accept appeals. We have other Iceland cases, Iceland as a company refuse to have these invoices cancelled. So it's up to you. Pay £51 and the matter goes away. Or refuse to pay.  Horizon very rarely do court.  We would support you all the way. 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg Card DPA fowl up

woolfie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently sent Egg my DPA letter with £10 cheque enclosed. They have just sent me a 7 page document asking for proof of identity.

The £10 cheque i sent has been credited to my cc account with a £2.00 cheque payment fee.

What now as they want me to fill in the form and send payment of £10..

ANy advice?

woolfie

Advice & opinions given by Woolfie are my own, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Egg have certainly got it wrong. Write back reminding them that the £10.00 you sent on ??/??/?? was for a "subject access Request under section 7 of the DPA.

Also remind them that they have 40 days to respond with the data requested from ??/??/?? (The date of the original request) failing which you will make a formal complaint to the information commissioner.

Address your letter for the Personal Attention of the Data Controller.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

I have done and they have refunded the charge after a couple of emails! I just thought it was ironic and quite funny that they saw fit to charge me £2 yet again breaking rules. I had no idea however that if you pay egg by cheque you get charged £2 seems like another way to con money from us!!

Woolfie

Advice & opinions given by Woolfie are my own, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to Egg for my statements etc by their secure messaging service and received an email response that I should make the application in writing blah blah. I wrote to them (Standard DPA) and enclosed a cheque for £10 made out to Egg. This was on the 1st of April

Went online about a week later and noticed my account had been credited with £10 and subsequently debited £2 cheque credit fee and £10 for the DPA!!

Emailed Egg pointing out that the cheque was to cover the DPA and should not have been credited to my account and therefor I would like my two quid back. Got the following email in return

Dear Woolfie

Under the terms and conditions which you agreed to when applying for an Egg Card a ?2.00 fee will be applied to your account for any payment made to your account which isn't a debit card payment, Direct Debit, an electronic transfer or a transfer from an Egg Savings Account.As this ?2.00 charge has been correctly applied to your account I'm unable to refund you this ?2.00 charge on this occasion.

I'm also unable to refund you the charge of ?10.00 which was charged due to the Data Subject Information Request which will be with you in 40 calender days.

Ok so I emailed them back and told them again why I sent the cheque and they had better refund my £2 and finally they did!!

They also sent me out a large document, about 8 pages, to fill in before they would send me the documents for my DPA. It asked for, amongst other things, either a recent utility bill or a sworn statement of my identity!!

I emailed them and told them i would not be sending this back and they had better send me the info or i would be taking action against them!! I think this is yet another delaying tactic.

Still havent got my statements however but they still have time.

Woolfie

There is an issue here that I think we've slightly overlooked and on which I'm pretty sure that I've given duff advice in the past. The DPA does allow the organisation holding the data to obtain information to confirm the identity of the person asking for the data. They usually do this by means of a form that most seem to be happy to not worry too much about.

It's quite likely that this attitude will change as the number of claims grows and the banks start looking every more despeately for ways to slow things down. BF and I have discussed designing a CAG standardised form that people could enclose with their SAR. We can't simply hold a copy of each bank's forms on this site because of copyright issues.

I am looking for copies of the forms used by different banks so that I can put together a generic form for the forum. I already have the Abbey form but if you have blank copies of forms used by other banks, please could you scan and email them to [email protected].

Thanks

Well, yes and no. The DPA says that they can delay until they have reasonably satisfied themselves of the identity of the requester.

Whereas I can accept that it is reasonable in case of a phone call, or up to a point, of an e-mail request (if they have the e-mail address already on their file, I would have thought it sufficient), I believe that if the request is sent by letter, from your home address, with your account number, signed by you, there is little reason to doubt your identity, surely?

The test would be that if they have entered in correspondence, or are willing to do so, without checking your ID further, when it has nothing to do with a SAR, then there's no reason for them to get suspicious all of a sudden when it is for a SAR.

I agree in principle that that should be sufficient but it doesn't stop the banks trying it on. A generic form (bearing the CAG logo!) should stop this and give the group some publicity.

By the way, am I the only person who has noticed the words "egg" and "fowl" in the thread title. Very funny :D

I think that the pun in the title to this thread is so dreadful that I am considering resurrecting negative reputations.

Ok I admit it I poached that from another site!:razz:

• 1 month later...

Finally got my first letter off to egg but they didnt crack!! So LBA is being sent on Monday.

Mere bantam weight Woolfie.

No need to brood about it though-as they are a pretty hard boiled company and probably won't turn chicken. See if you can hatch something so they shell out soon

especially if it's more than chickenfeed you are after. Your turn china, though I don't expect Bankfodder to think this post was eggscellent and will deplore these paltry yolks. All ova I guess.

OK here goes!!

I have been couped up in the house today and my brain is scambled or is that fried? I wont be a turkey and eggnore all the advice on here. I have not plucked the figures out of the air and when I get the money it will help feather my nest.

I wont let them beat me but its nice to have some fun with it now and hen.

Woolfie

Good response....going to have to wing it this time.

I geese it's partly your eggo that makes you want to lay claim to your money back.

Maybe it's the principle, or perhaps the principal.

Eider way, I eggspect your bank will be feeling a bit down and will soon reggret

overegging their charges. Tell them to gosling their hook.

I was going to add some Egg puns, but decided to duck the opportunity.

Guess I'll have egg on my face for being such a goose!

Ah well, I won;t feel trussed up like a turkey when the eggspected summons cracks through their shell...

--

Nationwide started 25/4 Statements 19/5/06 Settled by Tomlin order

Barclaycard started 26/4 Statements 3/6 £350 claimed

Claim 6QZ42513 - Default Judgement 1/8/06 - Settled for £358

New claim started for further charges, Prelim letter 3/10

DPA issues included in claim

Capital One started 26/4 Statements 31/5/06 £550 claimed Claim 6QZ46307 - Settled for £552

Littlewoods account default REMOVED

Camden Council PCN £84.59 claimed Claim 6QZ54253 issue 22/9/2007 Claim dismissed :mad:

Parachute packed and tested :!: and they know who I am now...

Moneyclaim is STILL busy... ;)

<link removed - sorry>

Ok it is my turn in the pecking order again. I know my claim quails into insignificance compared to others but I am clucking upset at the charges levied by these robin gannets and I find myself puffin up at their attitude.

Carry this on and we might all get banned!!

Woolfie

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/08/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks