• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HBOS charges reclaiming

a184
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm new to this site (great site by the way guys, geep up the good work!)

I just can't find a scottish section... i did a search and can't find it, i've spent about 2 hours now.

instructions on how to get to the scottish section, or a link, would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance for any help!

:)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have some server problems which will be solved over th nex couple of days.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I HAVE read the FAQ's & spreadsheet and I'm unsure of two things:

Q. 1) Can I add this 8% to ANY of my bank/credit card charges, and is 8% to take into account for inflation?

Q. 2) Also, can I add this 8% on to the total amount they owe me and send it along with my INITIAL request for money?

Thanks in advance for your help

:-)

"Q. Can I claim interest?

A. When you put in a claim you should claim interest at the statutory rate of interest, which is currently 8%

You must write your claim in the following way:‘ The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per year from (date when the money became owed to you) to (the date you are issuing the claim) of £ …(put in the amount) and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £… (put in daily rate of interest)

You will need to work out the interest you are owed up to the date you start the claim.You first need to work out the daily rate of interest. Using a calculator, do the following:

0.00022 X the amount of your claim – this gives you the daily rate of interest."

..Doesn't make any sense to me!!!

You are correct. But we are only claiming what is rightfully ours to start with. There is no profit to be made in doing this.

When you start your claim, don't forget to post a thread in your particular bank forum and keep us updated in that thread so we can follow your progress easier.

Good luck with your claim.

Vamp.:)

• Confused 1

[

When you start your claim, don't forget to post a thread in your particular bank forum and keep us updated in that thread so we can follow your progress easier.

Good luck with your claim.

Vamp.:)

I shall, thank you for your advice!

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether or not I should send the initial Data Protection Act Requests by Recorded Delivery (so that the banks don't say "We never received any letters from you" etc)?

And can I claim this money back? If yes, would it be along with the initial request for money?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, and enclose the £10 minimum fee.

Yes, you should add this to the first letter. They will say they don't have to repay it, but assuming they have levied unlawful charges, it becomes a legitimate legal expense you have incurred in discovering the amount they have taken.

• Confused 1

Hi,

I have composed my DPA letter (with the help of BankFodder and the library!)

I have 4 accounts with the HBOS (2 current accounts & 2 credit cards) and was wondering if I can request bank charges for all 4 accounts under the 1 letter (and therefore only paying £10 instead of £40)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

i received a reply from HBOS to my initial DPA request and they said:

"With regard to your request for information relating to manual intervention on your account, HBOS plc is under no statutory obligation to record this information and therefore, I am unable to assist further with your request"

So is this acceptable? When this eventually goes to court, I don't want them to come out with some manual intervention thing which they say they've 'just found' etc?

And do I request my £10 DPA fee refunded (even though I still got some statements)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

The "we are under no obligation" reply to manual interventions seems to be very common. The probably reason for this is because they don't actually keep structured records of interventions...

It would be quite awkward for them to turn up in court and say "yes, but the manual interventions recorded here, here and here show we incurred excessive costs" on the grounds that you have asked for them and relied on the lack of reply to file your claim.

Notwithstanding the fact that it is *highly* unlikely they'd ever let it get that far...

My advice; Ignore this and press on with the letters.

Good luck!

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have several issues with the banks/credit card companies and hope you can help advise me on what to do next:

1) I sent the standard DPA letter to HBOS asking for list of charges (for 2 current accounts and 2 credit cards with them). After receiving an illegible set of credit card statements, the 40 days are now up, they're saying that if I want the 2 current account statements I'm to contact my branch helpline as they only deal with the credit cards.

How do I stop them leading on a merry dance? I should have them by now. The original letter was, after all, sent to the HBOS Data Protection COnsultant?!

2) Egg are trying to say that the 40 days started from when they received proof of my identification, not from when they received my original request. They asked for ID a week or two after I asked for statements, which I sent to them.

Should I have the statements by now, and what should I do next?

Thank you in advance for any help/guidance you can give me

Hi,

can I just clarify something?

I'm working out what the banks owe me in late payment fees, and came across an "Overlimit Fee" and was wondering if I can claim this bank?

It could be argued that going overlimit is a service they are providing so they are justified to charge for it?

PROBABLY......but not excessively, if it is not a reasonable pre-estimate of actual loss to the bank its a penalty. if the overlimit fee was £1 - 3 or even a bit more it might be classed as reasonable hower a £25 - £30 charge probably isnt

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

what would you say ?

I would think so.....how much does it actually cost the bank?

My bank charges £28 for over limit and £38 for direct debit bounce and £30 for cheque bouncing :-(

I'm gonna get em !

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

When you go over your limit (o/d etc) the banks will charge a higher rate of interest, so as well as this they slap a £20 fee on top. Yes it is one you can claim back.

Don't forget to contribute to the CAG. Without them we would probably still be drafting our prelim letters.

OH Cap One - £436/ So far received £40. MCOL submitted 17/7/06. Caved 4/8/06 for full amount!!!

OH Monument - £140, claim filed 8th May. Requested judgement by default, settled in full 4th July via out of court settlement (see thread). Total £192ish received.

Me Barclays - £630. Received letter 13th May offering £300 full and final (they can bog off). Claim filed 16th May. Acknowledgement of Service filed 22nd May to defend all of the claim. Allocation Questionnaire completed and Stay been ordered by Judge on 18/7/06!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

So I've got a lot of statements missing. I'm taking them to court just to get them to co-operate with the Data Protection Act request. I understand that for the banks, I use my local branch manager's address?

But what about the credit cards? Whose name do I put on the claim form for those/how do I find out whose name to use?

The credit cards I'm claiming are:

Egg

Virgin

Barclaycard

Bank of Scotland One

Morgan Stanley/Goldfish

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks