Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basic Account Holder a184 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2006

Default HBOS charges reclaiming

I'm new to this site (great site by the way guys, geep up the good work!)

I just can't find a scottish section... i did a search and can't find it, i've spent about 2 hours now.

instructions on how to get to the scottish section, or a link, would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance for any help!

Similar Threads:

ah... founf it under the 'resources' section, but it says "Error HTTP 404 Not Found"

anyone know why?

:?

Basic Account Holder richardc Novitiate richardc's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2006

I think we have some server problems which will be solved over th nex couple of days.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
    Follows
    Following

Question Interest - Help Please!!!

Hi,

I HAVE read the FAQ's & spreadsheet and I'm unsure of two things:

Q. 1) Can I add this 8% to ANY of my bank/credit card charges, and is 8% to take into account for inflation?

Q. 2) Also, can I add this 8% on to the total amount they owe me and send it along with my INITIAL request for money?

Thanks in advance for your help

"Q. Can I claim interest?
    A. When you put in a claim you should claim interest at the statutory rate of interest, which is currently 8%
    You must write your claim in the following way:‘ The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per year from (date when the money became owed to you) to (the date you are issuing the claim) of £ …(put in the amount) and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £… (put in daily rate of interest)
    You will need to work out the interest you are owed up to the date you start the claim.You first need to work out the daily rate of interest. Using a calculator, do the following:
    0.00022 X the amount of your claim – this gives you the daily rate of interest."

..Doesn't make any sense to me!!!

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Overdrawn Novitiate Overdrawn Novitiate Overdrawn's Avatar

Default Re: Interest - Help Please!!!

Hi...I will keep it simple...

Only add the 8% when you file to court NOT with your intial prelim letter.

Thanks, Overdrawn. Does that mean that, if the banks just pay up without a fuss/court, then I wouldn't get my 8%?

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative bram stoker Highly informative

You are correct. But we are only claiming what is rightfully ours to start with. There is no profit to be made in doing this.

When you start your claim, don't forget to post a thread in your particular bank forum and keep us updated in that thread so we can follow your progress easier.

Good luck with your claim.
    Vamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiress
    When you start your claim, don't forget to post a thread in your particular bank forum and keep us updated in that thread so we can follow your progress easier.

Good luck with your claim.
    Vamp.
    I shall, thank you for your advice!

Default DPA Request

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether or not I should send the initial Data Protection Act Requests by Recorded Delivery (so that the banks don't say "We never received any letters from you" etc)?

And can I claim this money back? If yes, would it be along with the initial request for money?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Site Team alanfromderby has disabled reputation alanfromderby's Avatar

Default Re: DPA Request

Yes, and enclose the 10 minimum fee.

Yes, you should add this to the first letter. They will say they don't have to repay it, but assuming they have levied unlawful charges, it becomes a legitimate legal expense you have incurred in discovering the amount they have taken.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

_________________________ _______

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.
    Follows
    Following

Smile Re: DPA Request

thanks for the advice Alan! I shall send off my DPA requests ASAP!

Default Initial DPA Request

Hi,

I have composed my DPA letter (with the help of BankFodder and the libraryicon!)

I have 4 accounts with the HBOSicon (2 current accounts & 2 credit cards) and was wondering if I can request bank charges for all 4 accounts under the 1 letter (and therefore only paying 10 instead of 40)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Site Team alanfromderby has disabled reputation alanfromderby's Avatar

Default Re: Initial DPA Request

Provided they are all under your name then that will be fine - just give them all the account numbers etc.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

_________________________ _______

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.
    Follows
    Following

Default Re: Initial DPA Request

ok, thanks Alan!

Default DPA Request Advice Please!?

hi,

i received a reply from HBOSicon to my initial DPA request and they said:

"With regard to your request for information relating to manual intervention on your account, HBOSicon plc is under no statutory obligation to record this information and therefore, I am unable to assist further with your request"

So is this acceptable? When this eventually goes to court, I don't want them to come out with some manual intervention thing which they say they've 'just found' etc?

And do I request my 10 DPA fee refunded (even though I still got some statements)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Basic Account Holder fivelaws Informative fivelaws Informative fivelaws Informative fivelaws's Avatar

Cagger since : May 2006

Default Re: DPA Request Advice Please!?

The "we are under no obligation" reply to manual interventions seems to be very common. The probably reason for this is because they don't actually keep structured records of interventions...

It would be quite awkward for them to turn up in court and say "yes, but the manual interventions recorded here, here and here show we incurred excessive costs" on the grounds that you have asked for them and relied on the lack of reply to file your claim.

Notwithstanding the fact that it is *highly* unlikely they'd ever let it get that far...

My advice; Ignore this and press on with the letters.

Good luck!

A&L: Settled - 6,200
    HFC: Settled - 800
    Shell Visa: Settled - 250
    Egg: Settled - 700
    Mint: Settled - 1200
    RBS: Settled - 850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...
    Follows
    Following

Default DPA - The banks are fobbing me off!

Hi all,

I have several issues with the banks/credit card companies and hope you can help advise me on what to do next:

1) I sent the standard DPA letter to HBOSicon asking for list of charges (for 2 current accounts and 2 credit cards with them). After receiving an illegible set of credit card statements, the 40 days are now up, they're saying that if I want the 2 current account statements I'm to contact my branch helpline as they only deal with the credit cards.
    How do I stop them leading on a merry dance? I should have them by now. The original letter was, after all, sent to the HBOSicon Data Protection COnsultant?!

2) Eggicon are trying to say that the 40 days started from when they received proof of my identification, not from when they received my original request. They asked for ID a week or two after I asked for statements, which I sent to them.

Should I have the statements by now, and what should I do next?

Thank you in advance for any help/guidance you can give me

Gold Account Holder Seminole Highly informative Seminole Highly informative Seminole Highly informative Seminole Highly informative Seminole Highly informative Seminole Highly informative Seminole's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2006

Default Re: DPA - The banks are fobbing me off!

Have a look here and use the templateicon letters:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...n-act-non.html

Default Bank Charges

Hi,

can I just clarify something?

I'm working out what the banks owe me in late payment fees, and came across an "Overlimit Fee" and was wondering if I can claim this bank?

It could be argued that going overlimit is a service they are providing so they are justified to charge for it?

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    davefirewalker Highly informative davefirewalker Highly informative davefirewalker Highly informative davefirewalker Highly informative davefirewalker Highly informative davefirewalker Highly informative davefirewalker's Avatar

Default Re: Bank Charges

PROBABLY......but not excessively, if it is not a reasonable pre-estimate of actual loss to the bank its a penalty. if the overlimit fee was 1 - 3 or even a bit more it might be classed as reasonable hower a 25 - 30 charge probably isnt

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
    Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
    Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge
    Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !!
    Follows
    Following

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details