how can I obtain more than 6 years of bank statements

peter201177
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I successfuly claimed back just over £1000. That was a few months back, I have kept a watchfull eye over this site since. Its getting interesting isnt it....

Has anyone successfuly obtained more than 6 years of bank statements? Or can anyone suggest how I should approach HSBC regarding this?

The charges can be claimed as the banks were very cunningly hiding their charges etc, so they could potentially be argued to be reclaimable. My issue, I only have 6 years worth of statements. Any thoughts people?

Hi all.

I successfuly claimed back just over £1000. That was a few months back, I have kept a watchfull eye over this site since. Its getting interesting isnt it....

Has anyone successfuly obtained more than 6 years of bank statements? Or can anyone suggest how I should approach HSBC regarding this?

The charges can be claimed as the banks were very cunningly hiding their charges etc, so they could potentially be argued to be reclaimable. My issue, I only have 6 years worth of statements. Any thoughts people?

I asked my branch to provide all my statements from when my account was opened.

You could always phone them and ask or submit the SAR with the wording " from when the account was opened"

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I have today been to my branch and spoke to customer service on the phone. Both basically told me that Januaray 2000 is when my 1st statement is available from. My account goes back to 1993 and is littered full of charges pre 2000.

The guy on the phone said he would send a memo to see if statements are availbale pre 2000 but basically said i wouldnt be holding my breath...... (I'm suire I could hear a shredder in the background, lol)

Where can I go from here??????

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I have today been to my branch and spoke to customer service on the phone. Both basically told me that Januaray 2000 is when my 1st statement is available from. My account goes back to 1993 and is littered full of charges pre 2000.

The guy on the phone said he would send a memo to see if statements are availbale pre 2000 but basically said i wouldnt be holding my breath...... (I'm suire I could hear a shredder in the background, lol)

Where can I go from here??????

Thanks in advance.

As far as I am aware banks have an archieve so they should have more than 6 years worth. I would see what they send you first.

U think I should be sending a SAR with the wording "from when the account was opened"?

Is the SAR request simply the Data Protection Act with the DPA bit took out, might well put something together and take it into my branch tomorrow. Any thoughts much appreciated

U think I should be sending a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) with the wording "from when the account was opened"?

Is the SAR request simply the Data Protection Act with the Data Protection Act bit took out, might well put something together and take it into my branch tomorrow. Any thoughts much appreciated

If you submit the SAR with from when the account opened they will have to provide all the information they have.

Thanks for the advice livelylad.

So if I send something along the lines off:

Subject Access Request

Dear Sir/Madam

SORT CODE: xxxxxxxx

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxx

Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my account from when the account was opened.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply this data because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.

Yours faithfully,

Is this a DPA request, do I need to enclose the £10, I thought the DPA only covered the last 6 year.

Is the SAR completely different.

Sorry for the hassle mate.

• 1 month later...

Okay,

Here goes, sent in a SAR since the inception of my account. HSBC are adamant they do not keep data longer than 6 years, I just cant believe this, surely it is lurking on their archive systems.......

Sent this off to HSBC

Thank you for your e-message reply dated 31-01-07.

I am in receipt of copy statements from the period 1 January 2000 to current day however my request was for all data contained from the inception of my account whether this be in the form of statements, fiche or other recording methods. I also require any data that has been archived onto your archival system and will be prepared to foot the cost for this effort if required. I still request copy statements or the

equivalent information as stored for the period of the commencement of my account to December 1999. In short I require all data in whatever format held by HSBC on me prior to 1 January 2000.

Should you advise that you do not have such information could you please confirm this by stating HSBC does not have any data relating to account number ********* dated before 1 January 2000 I require exact confirmation of when and how my data was destroyed and confirmation of your company policy on data retention. Should a claim be made in Court I will seek an order from the Court requiring disclosure of your policy document should you fail to disclose it now.

I look forward to your reply.

Recieved this back from them....

Our Reference **********

Dear Mr Anderson

Bank Account No: **************

Thank you for your e-message received on 1 February 2007.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

However, as advised in your earlier e-message, I confirm that, as per the Data Protection Act's terms and conditions, we are not allowed to keep customers information on our records for more than six years. Please note that this ruling applies for all banks within UK.

As such, please be advised that it is not our intention to destroy any of your records which are more than six years old. However, under the Data Protection Act ruling, we are obliged to action this.

Therefore, as advised in your earlier e-message, I regret to inform that we are unable to provide any statement copies which exceeds six years ago.

Kindly accept our apology again for any inconvenience caused with regards to this matter.

For further clarification and assistance, please contact our Customer Telephone Services at 08457 404 404 (UK), +44 1226 261 010 (International), or visit any local HSBC UK branch, where my colleagues there will be glad to assist you accordingly.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you have any further queries.

Kind regards

MV Krishnan

HSBC Internet Banking Support

Ahhhhhhh, any thoughts all??????

• 2 months later...

Hi mate, i'm in the same situation, i've even complained to the Information Commisioners Office who basically told that HSBC are telling the truth and my case was closed. I don't believe this for one minute though, however i don't know what to do about it.

that answer is a bloody lie, blatantly

why on earth aren't they a allowed to keep records for longer than six years?

and why do some of the other banks have 12 or more years of records, never mind what they really have if it suited them

no answers mind, following this one with interest though, still chasing the fisrt six at the mo

im getting the same info- firstly after refusing to speak any longer with an indian lady i couldn't understand who kept saying there were no such records held, she finally put me on to an english lady who asked which years i was interested in. i stated i wanted from 1995- 2000 and she informed me on the phone that she could order them, there and then and she would let me know by phone later that day when she had done this.

so... she rang me back as promised with the news that what is held on microfiche, is actually what i can download myself on internet banking, which is 2001 - to date!!!!!

can you believe these people?? she also asked me why i needed the information - cheek, and then proceeded to ask if i was trying to make a claim!!! i told her to mind her own business. so brick walls all round at the moment unless we know anyone with a balaclava and a sawn-off who knows where they keep their archive storage!!!

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

• 11 years later...

Thread is over 11 years old.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread