Barclays breach of the Data Protection Act

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dunno cactus, I won't step foot in Barclays again so I can't answer that, however, just a simple question, is it 40 working days or 40 days from when you sent the SAR request?

My 40 days aren't up yet but they have cashed the cheque which I sent but I've yet to receive anything, even an acknowledgement.

Is it only wise to call them once the 40 days expire? If so, what number would i call them on?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno cactus, I won't step foot in Barclays again so I can't answer that, however, just a simple question, is it 40 working days or 40 days from when you sent the SAR request?

My 40 days aren't up yet but they have cashed the cheque which I sent but I've yet to receive anything, even an acknowledgement.

Is it only wise to call them once the 40 days expire? If so, what number would i call them on?

40 calendar days from receipt of your letter at the Bank. Check with Royal Mail date of receipt and start counting from then:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...

Well the 40 days passed a few weeks ago, a cheque cashed but no letters from Barclays whatsoever. Final demand sent 2 weeks ago and nothing. No acknowledment from Barclays at all. Makes me so cross, so now it's time for the N1 form. If i contact the FOS am I still able to commence court action or do I wait to see what they can do?

Well the 40 days passed a few weeks ago, a cheque cashed but no letters from Barclays whatsoever. Final demand sent 2 weeks ago and nothing. No acknowledment from Barclays at all. Makes me so cross, so now it's time for the N1 form. If i contact the FOS am I still able to commence court action or do I wait to see what they can do?

You can do both, but it would possibly be frowned upon if you filed claim in the knowledge that the FOS were investigating. Really depends upon them defending and the judge lottery.

Have a search of some other threads on here before issuing, there have been recent instances of DJ's treating as part 8 requests and this could leave you open to costs from the other side........ very unlikely but still a possibility worth a mention.

Gez

Thanks Gezwee.

Am I correct in thinking that complaints about non compliance of the SAR request go to the the FOS and complaints about the breach of the data protection act as in sending me personal information that belongs to someone else go to the I.C?

Not sure whether to ask the FOS to get involved or go straight for court action.

Hi Inertia

Information commissioners office for notification of someones elses data sent in correspondence..... I've had the same and by all accounts it does cause the creditor a headache once reported.

FOS for complaints, although they are pretty limp wristed and don't take the time or trouble to fully investigate - thats my experience of them for what its worth but others may have faired better.

I'd hang on for a little longer and wait for someone to offer their thoughts on your Barclays thread.

Completing the N1 is a pretty simple process and theres a template on Wiki for just such an action if you decide to go down this route.

Gez

• 2 years later...

Hi Majeed,

The last post here was over two and a half years back.

Generally, Barclays will only supply data going back 6 years but they may provide older data if you take court action seeking damages for SAR non-compliance and an order to disclose the required data. See here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?364605-BARCLAYCARD-S.A.R-Confusing!!!&p=4013491&viewfull=1#post4013491

If you want to discuss your current problems, feel free to start a thread.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roken and welcome to CAG

If you want to discuss any topics or problems, please feel free to start your own thread in the appropriate forum.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)