• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Taking Claim from English to Scottish Court (HELP REQUIRED)

angeljen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been awarded judgement in default by my English court as RBOS - Style Financial Services Limited have not replied to my court.

I cannot issue a Warrent of Execution through my court as English Law and Scottish law is different (my court is a bit dim on all this - so am I!)

How do I get my case transferred to a Scottish Court? Which Scottish Court?

PLEASE HELP ME

Unfair penalty charges reclaimed from Barclays - £700; BarclayCard - £380 + £132 extra; Style (RBOS) - £245 - County Court Judgement

against RBOS awarded - Judgement transferred to Registers of Scotland - Sheriff Officer (Bailiffs) action taken.

Travel insurance claim with Alpha (URV) pursued through the Financial Ombudsman - £704

Will get back to you............

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks Robertxc for advice to serve Warrent of Execution on local office. Unfortunately the unqualified clerks in the Mansfield County Court believe that I cannot do that as I have already served the claim on the Scottish Head Office address. She gave no advice what to do next apart from ask Citizens Advice Bureau. My local CAB is closed until Thursday. I need a solicitor, don't I?

Unfair penalty charges reclaimed from Barclays - £700; BarclayCard - £380 + £132 extra; Style (RBOS) - £245 - County Court Judgement

against RBOS awarded - Judgement transferred to Registers of Scotland - Sheriff Officer (Bailiffs) action taken.

Travel insurance claim with Alpha (URV) pursued through the Financial Ombudsman - £704

Info kindly supplied by hagenuk..................

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/...00010023.p df

See Article 15 (2) and Article 38.

Essentially, the European Union has a system for ensuring that judgments obtained in the courts of one member state are enforceable against the assets of the defendant situated in other member states.

The rules are contained in an EU Regulation on civil jurisdiction and enforcement of judgments (the "Brussels" Regulation 44/2001) which operates like a federal law binding all EU courts. Link above.

However, in order to create this single market in judgments the Regulation first lays down clear rules about which courts have jurisdiction. Only if they have jurisdiction over the claim can the English court enforce its judgment in Scotland.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thank you very much... but...

I'm sorry to have to play the dumb blonde card again, but could I have that in English with a plan of action, please?!

This case makes my brain turn into mulch!

I've not read it yet as I'm still at work - could you read through first and see what it refers to and if there's anything you can gather from it then post back so I've got an idea too?

To enforce a Judgment entered in an English/Welsh Court against a Defendant who resides in/has its registered office in Scotland requires an application to your local Court for a Certificate of Money Provisions to be signed by a District Judge, then you instruct a Bailiff in Scotland to enforce the Judgment. At work, we normally use a firm of Solicitors in Glasgow called Yuill & Kyle to enforce for us but you can instruct yourself.

I also found this:

What are the steps involved for enforcement in Scotland of a money judgement entered in the High Court in England, or in a County Court in England and Wales?

If you have been awarded judgment for a sum of money in the High Court or a county court in England and Wales and you wish to enforce the judgment in Scotland, you should take the following 3 steps. The main legal governing the procedure are in the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982, Section 18 and Schedule 6.

STEP ONE

You should obtain a Certificate of Money Provisions from the court that awarded judgment by filing a form of certificate together with an affidavit (sworn statement). In the affidavit you must:

• Give details of the judgment, stating the unpaid balance, the rate of interest (if any) and the date or time from which any such interest began to accrue;
  • Confirm that no appeal is outstanding and that the time for appealing has expired;
  • Confirm that enforcement of the judgment is not stayed or suspended; and
  • Give the addresses of the parties to the action

Note For the requirements for the High Court see the Rules of the Supreme Court (Order 71, rule 37(3)), and for a county court see the County Court Rules (Order 35, rule 5). You can get further details about this procedure from the Central Office, Royal Courts of Justice or any District Registry of the High Court (for High Court procedures) or from any county court (for county court procedures).

STEP TWO

You should register the Certificate of Money Provisions in the Register of Judgments of the Books of Council and Session within 6 months of the date of issue of the certificate. To do this you should send a covering letter and a fee (currently £10 for a single page, and £1.00 for each subsequent page) to The Keeper, Registers of Scotland, Books of Council and Session, Meadowbank House, 153 London Road, Edinburgh EH8 7AU (Tel 0131 659 6111 Ext 3630). No other documents need be sent. The Keeper of the Registers will send you an extract of the registered certificate and a warrant for execution (the authority to enforce the judgment).

STEP THREE

When you have received the extract and warrant, you can instruct a Sheriff Officer to attempt to recover the debt. The Sheriff Officer must hold a commission to act in the area of the defendant’s home address or business premises. You can obtain addresses of local Sheriff Officers from the Yellow Pages or from The Society of Messengers-At-Arms and Sheriff Officers, 11 Alva Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PH (Tel: 0131 225 9110, Fax: 0131 220 3468 )

Wording of the Certificate below. I think there is a fee to lodge the Certificate - I can find out tomorrow what the fee is but it might (not sure) differ from Court to Court. You may need to swear an affidavit at Court (£5 fee plus £2 to exhibit the Certificate) but we don't have to at Manchester - like I said, each Court may vary. You might be lucky and have one of the Court staff seal your Certificate without the need for it to go before a Judge. Then send the sealed Certificate to Edinburgh with your fee.

_____

In the (BLANK) County Court

Claim Number (BLANK)

Between

(BLANK) Claimant

and

(BLANK) Defendant

Certificate of Money Provisions contained in a Judgment

for Registration under Schedule 6 to the Civil

Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982

I, (LEAVE SPACE FOR DISTRICT JUDGE'S NAME of the (WHATEVER COUNTY COURT) hereby certify

1. That (YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS) obtained judgment against (DEFENDANT'S NAME AND ADDRESS) the (BLANK) day of (MONTH YEAR) in the (WHATEVER COUNTY COURT) for payment of the sum of (AMOUNT IN FIGURES) in respect of (BRIEF NATURE OF CLAIM together with (AMOUNT IN FIGURES) for costs.
  2. That the judgment carries interest at the rate of (AMOUNT IN FIGURES - USUALLY 8) per cent per annum calculated on the judgment debt and costs from the date of judgment until payment
  3. That the conditions specified in paragraphs 3(a) and (b) of Schedule 6 to the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982 are satisfied in relation to the judgment.
  4. That enforcement of the judgment is not for the time being stayed or suspended and that the time available for its enforcement has not expired.
  5. This certificate is issued under Schedule 6 to the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982.

Dated this (LEAVE A GAP FOR JUDGE TO HANDWRITE DATE) day of (LEAVE GAP FOR JUDGE TO HANDWRITE MONTH) 2006/7

Signed ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

DISTRICT JUDGE of the (WHATEVER COUNTY COURT)

Produced for registration under Schedule 6 to the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982 by YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS

• Haha 1

DNA (buddy added) you are my ray of sunshine!!! Thank you ever so much! Big kisses!!!

Lets get this sorted :D

How does this look:?

CERTIFICATE OF MONEY PROVISIONS CONTAINED IN A

JUDGEMENT FOR REGISTRATION UNDER SCHEDULE 6 TO THE

CIVIL JURISDICTION ANS JUDGEMENTS ACT 1982

IN THE MANSFIELD COUNTY COURT

CASE NO: 6MFXXXXX

MISS JENNIFER XXXXX – CLAIMANT

AND

STYLE FINANCIAL SERVICES LIMITED – DEFENDANT

I a Proper Officer of the Mansfield County Court hereby certify:

1. That Miss Jennifer XXXXX of XX XXXXXXXXX Lane, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire XXXX XXX obtained judgement against Style Financial Services Limited of The Guild Hall, 57 Queen Street, Glasgow G1 3EN on the first day of November 2006 in the Mansfield County Court for payment of the sum of £100.00 in respect of unlawful penalty charges together with £30.00 for costs and in addition interest of £8.04 to the date of judgement AND THAT THE AMOUNT REMAINING OUTSTANDING ON THE DATE OF THIS CERTIFICATE IS £138.04.

2. That the judgement carries interest at the rate of 8 per cent per annum calculated on the judgement debt and costs from the date of judgement until payment.

3. That the conditions specified in Paragraph 3(a) and (b) of Schedule 6 to the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgements Act 1982 are satisfied in relation to the judgement.

4. The enforcement of the judgement is not for the time being stayed or suspended and that the time available for it’s enforcement has not expired.

5. This certificate is issued under Schedule 6 to the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgements Act 1982.

DATED THIS DAY OF 2006

SIGNED: ………………………………………………………

A PROPER OFFICER OF

THE MANSFIELD COUNTY COURT

Produced for registration under Schedule 6 to the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgements Act 1982 by the Claimant

(Scotland)

I think your gonna be costing yourself a lot of money by trying to transfer the judgement to Scotland. One initial problem is that all papers which require to be served formally (excludi,ng SCOTTISH small claims actions

Sheriff Officers are private businesses, whose fees are payable upfront - not like in England where the debtor is directly liable to the Bailiff for fees (only if the Bailiff collects payment). IF you get to the point of attaching goods you will be out several hundred pound.

I am unsure about business debts, however, where the debtor is a consumer you can't just tell a Sheriff Officer to march in and take away someone's possessions, like in England. You need to obtain a specific order (called an Exceptional Attachment Order); to obtain this you have to show you have attempted other methods of dillegence (i.e. arresting their moveable assets, contacting them, etc) and that this is your only option left. Additionally before you can do any of this you need to have the debtor personally served, by the Sheriff Officer, with a Charging Order (an official notice telling them to pay the decree/judgement against them).

Additionally, if you get to the stage of recall of judgement I am unsure if you will be able to reclaim all your outlays (seperate jurisdictions) and can imagine there being an unnecessarily complex cross-border dual-court litigation issue.

If I were I would contact the court and, politely, insist that they Serve Warrant of Execution on the English address of the Defendant

OR

contact their "Civil Rules Teams" or a judge for guidance.

I really believe this is your best option as transferring the case out of the jurisdiction isn't particularly efficient.

Keep us posted.

Looks OK to me, Jen.

IMHO I'm not sure about the VAT point, you cannot add VAT if you are not VAT registered - I may be wrong so seek advice.

As for transfer out of the jurisdiction, it's not a transfer - it's just an enforcement of the Judgment entered in England/Wales - does not require separate proceedings or to go via a Court - you just instruct the local Sheriff (details as per my previous posts) - if they require you to pay fees in advance, so be it - my guess is that they are recoverable by being added to the Judgment debt.

Also not sure regarding the bit about enforcing a Judgment in England/Wales at a principal office of the company - it may be possible but you would need guidance from Court.

From personal experience, we've never had a problem enforcing debts "North of the Border" before using this method.

Well, if I have to save up, at least I will get it all back in the long run and get that default off my credit record. (The default is my goal - got declined for another basic bank account today!)

Well, if I have to save up, at least I will get it all back in the long run and get that default off my credit record. (The default is my goal - got declined for another basic bank account today!)

If the Default was in the Claim then you shouldn't need to transfer the case to Scotland to enforce that. Firstly, all the CRAs are in England.

The point I was making was that you shouldn't have to transfer the case to Scotland so that you can enforce it.

Looks OK to me, Jen.

IMHO I'm not sure about the VAT point, you cannot add VAT if you are not VAT registered - I may be wrong so seek advice.

As for transfer out of the jurisdiction, it's not a transfer - it's just an enforcement of the Judgment entered in England/Wales - does not require separate proceedings or to go via a Court - you just instruct the local Sheriff (details as per my previous posts) - if they require you to pay fees in advance, so be it - my guess is that they are recoverable by being added to the Judgment debt.

Also not sure regarding the bit about enforcing a Judgment in England/Wales at a principal office of the company - it may be possible but you would need guidance from Court.

From personal experience, we've never had a problem enforcing debts "North of the Border" before using this method.

You seem to ignore various points. Firstly, she shouldn't have to transfer the Judgement to Scotland. Secondly, if she does and the jdugement is recalled/set aside then it will get complicated with the case being in two jurisdictions (especially for recovering the fees she has incurred by instructing Scottish Sheriff Officers).

Additionally, I presume you didn't have any incidents whereby a judgement was set aside AFTER you had instructed Scottish Sheriff officers?

Also note a Sheriff is not a Sheriff Officer.

My apologies for not being completely "au fait" with Scottish law - I stand correct as to the difference between "Sheriff" and "Sheriff Officer".

I'm not going to bang my head against a brick wall - the CORRECT process of registering and enforcing a Judgment obtained in England/Wales against a Scottish debtor is as set out above. Do a Google search if you don't believe me.

If the debtor applies to set Judgment aside, they will have to make the application to the Court in England/Wales where it was obtained and not to a Scottish Court. A judgment can only be set aside by a Court on application, there are only very few cases where Judgments can automatically be set aside.

Applying for the Certificate of Money Provisions to enforce the Judgment against a Scottish debtor is NOT transferring the case to Scotland - you are merely getting the Scottish equivalent of a Warrant of Execution.

In my experience, a Sheriff Officer's fees are not that excessive.

If in doubt - seek legal advice, don't take everything I say for granted - I was only trying to lend the benefit of my experience - at the very least, give a Sheriff Officer a call to ask how much they would charge, rather than trying to second guess what their fees are.

My apologies for not being completely "au fait" with Scottish law - I stand correct as to the difference between "Sheriff" and "Sheriff Officer".

I'm not going to bang my head against a brick wall - the CORRECT process of registering and enforcing a Judgment obtained in England/Wales against a Scottish debtor is as set out above. Do a Google search if you don't believe me.

If the debtor applies to set Judgment aside, they will have to make the application to the Court in England/Wales where it was obtained and not to a Scottish Court. A judgment can only be set aside by a Court on application, there are only very few cases where Judgments can automatically be set aside.

Applying for the Certificate of Money Provisions to enforce the Judgment against a Scottish debtor is NOT transferring the case to Scotland - you are merely getting the Scottish equivalent of a Warrant of Execution.

In my experience, a Sheriff Officer's fees are not that excessive.

If in doubt - seek legal advice, don't take everything I say for granted - I was only trying to lend the benefit of my experience - at the very least, give a Sheriff Officer a call to ask how much they would charge, rather than trying to second guess what their fees are.

You imply that there is only one "correct" way to enforce a judgement obtained in England against a Scottish Debtor. That is entirely wrong (bordering on absurd), The Royal Bank of Scotland (just like most Trans-National Corporations) have business operations worldwide. Now I don't suggest that RBS are in the process of having many judgements against them enforced, however, it wouldn't make sense for a court not to allow one of their own judgements to be enforced within their jurisdiction and insist that enforcement/dilligence is undertaken elsewhere.

The point is that it is quite "correct" (to use your terminology) to enforce the Judgement in question at an English address of the company.n The court staff, who usually aren't legally trained, probably don't have much experience in this area. Whats more it is easier to enforce an English judgement in England.

I am not doubting what you say - but refer to Section 3 of CPR Part 74 "Enforcement of United Kingdom Judgments in other parts of the United Kingdom" and in particular 74.17(2) together with Practice Direction 74 at 8.2.

Yes, it is easier to enforce an English Judgment in England - but the point is that Style do not appear to have an office in England, unless someone knows different.

I am not doubting what you say - but refer to Section 3 of CPR Part 74 "Enforcement of United Kingdom Judgments in other parts of the United Kingdom" and in particular 74.17(2) together with Practice Direction 74 at 8.2.

Yes, it is easier to enforce an English Judgment in England - but the point is that Style do not appear to have an office in England, unless someone knows different.

If that is the case then evidently it would probably be best to enforce judgement in Scotland.

However, looking at the above, it appears that the Defendant company do have an office in England but that the clerks have, wrongly in my view, stated that because Service of Process was originally effected in Scotland that enforcement must occur there too. This is despite the fact that it is an English judgement.

Also advice to OP, check that you put the right address down for the Defendant.

STEP TWO

You should register the Certificate of Money Provisions in the Register of Judgments of the Books of Council and Session within 6 months of the date of issue of the certificate. To do this you should send a covering letter and a fee (currently £10 for a single page, and £1.00 for each subsequent page) to The Keeper, Registers of Scotland, Books of Council and Session, Meadowbank House, 153 London Road, Edinburgh EH8 7AU (Tel 0131 659 6111 Ext 3630). No other documents need be sent. The Keeper of the Registers will send you an extract of the registered certificate and a warrant for execution (the authority to enforce the judgment).

Do I just send the certificate? £10 for just that?

Covering letter shouldn't count, should it?

Do I need to send my judgement?

P.S. I'm siding with DNA because my court have now sent me a similar document to use.

First of all, obtain your Certificate of Money Provisions from Mansfield County Court - send the Certificate in triplicate with a £35 fee. When you get the Certificate back, then send it with your £10 fee to Edinburgh

Mansfield County Court didn't charge me for the signing! I have one signed certificate. Shall I send just one copy of the certificate up to Scotland with a cheque for £10? Payable to?

Send the original to Edinburgh (keep a copy for yourself, of course!) - I would assume you make your cheque payable to "Registers of Scotland" - not sure, give them a call on the 0131 number. Good luck!