Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Aug 2006

Default Action against BoS

I'm just about to start my legal action against the Bank of Scotland and looking for further bit of advice. Seem to recall a thread not long ago advising that charges for unpaid items (DDs) had to be pursued separately from charges for unauthorised overdrafts. I've never actually been charged interest by the Bank of Scotland for having an unauthorised overdraft (which has only ever happened due to the charges for unpaid items being applied) although I have been charged unauthorised overdraft fees (usually 28 for going overdrawn as a result of the unpaid items charges applied.

Can I include both "returned items charges" and "unauthorised overdraft fees" on the same claim? On most of the earlier statements, all charges are listed as "returned items charge" but on the later statements they are referred to as "charges as notified", which I presume refers to the letters sent at the time advising of the charges (the actual letters sent being something I do not have).

Also, in my original letters directly to the bank, I did not include any interest on the charges I was requesting to be refunded. As they have refused my request for a refund, I have now calculated interest for my claim using the spreadsheet on here and split the total amount being claimed for (nearly 1800) into three claims to avoid going over the small claimsicon limit for Scotland - do I need to explain why I am now adding interest to my original (refused) claim or will this not matter?

Thanks in advance for any advice.