Samsonite suitcase broken after first use, need to know what my rights are regarding replacement

storecs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1883 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

This is my first post as I'm currently having issues with Samsonite and a suitcase I bought.

I bought a small cabin bag size suitcase from a genuine Samsonite outlet store in York during the Black Friday sales at the end of November. It cost £41 which I knew was really cheap for Samsonite as I already have a couple of their cases.

I used the case for the first time during a trip to London in mid January, during which time the retractable handle broke while waking along a train platform (so much fun!). I took the case back to the Samsonite store where I purchased it, and was told it would have to be sent away for repair as it was more than 6 weeks since I bought it.

I've since received a voicemail from the store advising that the case could not be repaired, and to visit them to discuss.

I'd really like to know what my rights are before I travel to the store (which is 90mins from where I live, so I need to be prepared), as to what I can get as a replacement.

I do not want store credit or my money back, as I know I won't be able to buy a replacement suitcase without putting a lot more money towards it. As far as I can see the suitcase wasn't fit for purpose, and I'd like a replacement at no cost to me, but is this what I'm entitled to?

Any help would be much appreciated so I can be prepared to fight my corner.

Thanks

Claire

It's less than six months old so you have certain rights under the consumer rights act.

If a defect appears within six months then you have to give the seller an opportunity to carry out a repair and if that repair fails then you are entitled to a refund or a replacement – at your choice.

In addition to that I would say that you should be entitled to recover any losses so if you have necessarily incurred costs of travelling to the retailer to return it – particularly because if that's what they have told you to do (and I hope you have that in writing) then you should be able to recover the cost of the round voyage.

I would say that 7 to 10 days is a reasonable time to expect it to be repaired. You ask if you are entitled to a replacement at no cost to you? – The answer is yes as long as they have had an opportunity to affect a repair. – Plus you losses of course.