• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

SAR - Santander & Dorothy Perkins

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1667 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am helping a friend out with a PPI claim and have sent off the SAR to Santander back in January. This was in respect of an old Dorothy Perkins storecard account she held some years ago. They have replied and provided:

CCA's for each account, we requested one and they have sent info for 3 (some of which she had forgotten she had)

Lists of transactions - these are mainly internal info and not something useful to us as it seems to be a list of dates and codes (account notes)

The letter says available copy statements are enclosed where applicable - but none are

Also says that Copies of any correspondence is enclosed but again - there is none enclosed.

There is one page which says they no longer hold any information on this account - however they do state an account number.

My question is how do we go about finding out the specifics of PPI itself if they only provide the above information? They haven't provided any statements at all (i know they don't have to - and my friend no longer has them) so we have no way of knowing if and what the amounts of PPI added to the accounts were.

I would be really grateful if someone could advise my next course of action.

Many thanks

you say January ….when? they have 30days

it might be a partial completion.

as for the store cards, I bet all those will have been with GE Money, you'll not get anything out of those nor any information I bet sadly.

there has been greater success going after the PPI insurance underwriters on these types of cards once PPI is established in each case

most if not all old GE Money stores cards did have PPI automictically unless you specifically stated at time of sign up in the relevant store you didn't want it as the sales staff got a hansom commission out of you for signing you up in that era.

you might also find it worthy to investigate plevin claims if going for the PPI premiums proves fruitless

for that all you need is proof the account existed and had PPI, you don't need the statements for a plevin hidden commission claim

but whichever way you go ONLY use the FOS questionnaire in the FCA PPI webportal ink.

don't use resolver or any 'OC on webite PPI click links'

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi there,

We sent the SAR off on the 10th January and they have replied within the 30 days. You are correct the account was with GE Capital, I have heard of Plevin but not had any experience of it personally - is it quite straight forward to do? I will have a search on the forums later when i'm home from work. I have done my own PPI claims in the past but its a while ago so i was a bit sketchy when i started looking into this for my friend - she's recently beaten breast cancer and I would love to give her a boost, maybe claim enough for a break for the family. Thats my hope anyway.

Thank you so much for your advice its much appreciated

I called round to collect some more paperwork last night, which had arrived as a result of the SAR's I had sent back in January. I sent 5 in total to various companies... 

The latest two to respond are barclays and grattan and there is so much info - lots of statements to go through dating back to 1999 and both clearly showing PPI. My question is do i now need to trawl through each statement to complete the interest spreadsheets etc to find out how much they have charged or is there a form to complete i.e. a quicker way? for Barclays there must be at least 600 pages!! 

The Barclays statements have thrown up even more routes to go down... one car loan she forgotten she had for instance. So thats the next course of action. But its knowing whether to do the SAR or complete the online PPI claim form for that company? 

As always your help is very much appreciated.

H x

always stick by the tried and tested method.

don't forget credit cards use the CISHEET until their int stopped then that total goes into the statint sheet

spreadsheets and fos questionnaire 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok thanks for that I will make a start - with the deadline looming i just wondered if there was a quicker route as i didn't want to delay things if there was. 

For any who haven't responded within the 30 days is there another letter we need to send out?

I know you mentioned that the GE maybe a partial completion - the letter didn't mention that anything was to follow, is that usual? Do i need to write to them to confirm/request more info? 

sorry for all the Q's...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

I spent most of yesterday with my friend going through statements from one of the SAR requests I’d sent on her behalf and it seems we have a good case of 20 years worth of overdraft protection so that’s my next task.

Am I right in thinking I use the same spreadsheet as I would for PPI for this one? 

Whilst going through the paperwork we found that one company haven’t responded to the SAR.

How do we proceed with that?

One company had written and asked her to call to confirm a change of address which she did, and she’s heard nothing since!!! So I need to chase that too but I’m not sure how to. 

I’d be grateful of any advise to both questions as always 

the statements have also shown a large amount of bank charges, between £22-£30 per time.

Is it still possible to reclaim these and if so do I need to use the same spreadsheet again? (Ppi

thank you 😊 

Edited by happycaravan

typically its the CISHEET until they stopped their int , then 8% statint on that whole sum till settled on both

whos failed the sar why didn't she sent CTAX bill if moved

and they

Thanks for the reply

- the statements I refer to are from Barclays and show purely overdraft protection until they changed its name to ppi protection around 2014.

I’m still working through highlighting all the entries ready to add to a spreadsheet but just wanted confirmation of which one, I’m just not sure how to check what interest they added (if any) besides the actual charge?

I will also need to sort the bank charges separately.

Santander re GE Capital for Dorothy Perkins storecard haven’t replied plus Marks & Spencer’s as above.

I did send a copy of the council tax bill (as well as a list of previous addresses for the past 20 years) but they also wanted her to call and confirm, it was a real mission of a call but the letter said she needed to 😡... 

I just don’t know what to do next in these cases. 

Thank you again x

can I suggest you start a new topic in the Barclays forum about the charges and a sep one there for the ppi.

as it was an OD their int rate will be compounded so you need to use it on both.

members there will help + old threads will have the OD rate to use.

as for the 2 that have failed the SAR

current wisdom under the new GDPR is issue a court claim.

you need to send both a letter before action

i'll alert this topic as bankfodder has recently posted on this very subject of issuing claims quickly

and they

Yes, please would you start a new thread also in respect of any failed SAR's. I'm afraid that the GDPR initiative has to a certain extent shot itself in the foot because whereas making a complaint to the information Commissioner used to be able to produce a result within four weeks, it now takes at least three months even to allocate a reference number.

I'm starting to find that a county court claim is the only way to produce a rapid response. And also a small amount of compensation. Please start a new thread.

Also, if you are dealing with a large amount of data then have a look at this advice which I have recently written about dealing with your data disclosure. You might find it helpful

Thank you both so much - Bankfodder the link to the data disclosure is indeed very helpful and i have just about gotten to grips with it all now. It took both of us all afternoon/evening on Saturday to do it though :-) and i now have a good filing system going with highlighters a-plenty! 

I will start a new thread on the failed SAR's as suggested - thank you both again.

• 1 month later...

I wrote to Santander last year about a Dorothy Perkins card I held from 1983 to 1994, but did not have any statements.  They wrote back with the account number and to confirm this was the case and that PPI started in 83.  They have offered me one payment of £56 in full and final settlement, and said this was taken in my final payment to them in 94.  They also could not find my Miss Selfridge card I had for 10 years.  Any advice please? 

Please create your own topic please

dx

and they

• 4 months later...

Hi again, 

I wondered if you  may be able to advise on where we are at with Dorothy Perkins/Santander.

As you can see from my thread i sent the SAR initially

all we received was account numbers

- one for Dorothy Perkins and

one for Evans (this was only recently confirmed by a letter as i had no clue which company it was for). 

I have been working on a Barclays PPI claim so hadn't had chance to look at this one until recently, as I had no statements to go by

i completed the online PPI complaint form at Santander's website and shortly afterwards they wrote confirming they had received the claim etc. All seemed fine, i completed the form (with my friend - as this claim is for her) - as we had done for every other claim. 

She has received a letter and questionnaire from Santander dated 13/08 - copy attached, the questionnaire requests further information regarding savings, insurance policies, health conditions etc

- all of which they have had at the time of complaint.

Whats confusing is the wording of the letter where it mentions 'we do not currently believe we should uphold your complaint' and then the next paragraph... 

I dont know where they have had some of the info from,

we did not indicate that she had previously suffered with a medical condition (she is currently recovering from cancer and we may have mentioned that but online forms are gone once submitted!)

- we did not say she was unemployed at the time the policy was taken out either

- she is now a stay at home Mum but was definitely not then!!

It's like they have taken all the info out of context!

Very odd indeed!!! 

Would you respond by letter or complete the questionnaire?

Thank you as always x

Dorothy_Perkins_PPI.jpg

How did you raise the ppi complaint?

Via the FOS CQ

And a covering letter?

and they

Hi dx100uk,

Due to the lack of time with the deadline approaching and my poor health i had no choice but to use the Santander online form :-( . I just wanted to get the ball rolling - i'm trying to help her out and then get struck down out of the blue, i felt awful. 

Its only then that they started to reply...

wasn't saying you'd done wrong..

just asking 

so use the fos cq not their

and a covering letter explaining post 15 obsevations.

you got it registered 

that's the main thing..

dx

and they

Phew - thank you -. I was afraid i'd screwed it all up. Sorry i'm just a tad overwhelmed (and not fully recovered by any means - we have a Grattan claim to get in before deadline too so i have to be on the ball) with it all and having seen the confusion of the letter i just couldn't understand why they said they didn't think they should uphold the complaint but then request info they have already had. 

Thank you for your help - as always its very much appreciated. 

H x

Hello Happy caravan. I’m curious how you got on with Santander as Ive had exactly the same letter asking me to supply a medical questionnaire as ‘apparently’ I stated I was sick when I took out my PPI. I wasn’t and haven’t advised this anywhere. Literally, it has been ongoing for months and months with senseless questions and stalls. I feel your pain having to look at so many!

58 minutes ago, Sgley said:

Hello Happy caravan. I’m curious how you got on with Santander as Ive had exactly the same letter asking me to supply a medical questionnaire as ‘apparently’ I stated I was sick when I took out my PPI. I wasn’t and haven’t advised this anywhere. Literally, it has been ongoing for months and months with senseless questions and stalls. I feel your pain having to look at so many!

sgley

please create your own topic by hitting create in the top red banner

and they

45 minutes ago, Ruth1962 said:

I had a DP card from 83 to 94, Santander confirmed I had PPI and it wasn't suitable for me at the time.  They offered me £56.  I went to the Financial Ombudsman and then Santander updated their offer to £1,200.  Worth pursuing.

as request back in april ruth

please create your OWN topic by hitting create in the top red banner.

dx

and they

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all 

I have an update albeit somewhat confuzzling... 

i submitted a claim with Santander on my friends behalf and have been waiting to hear back.

I followed dx's advice as per post #18 and sent in the fos questionnaire and a letter covering all the points needed

- everything they had wrong! 

For some very odd reason they have it in their heads that my friend was unemployed at the time of taking out the PPI policy, and that she also had a pre-existing medical condition!

None of this was correct

- she only gave up work last September (2018) after recovering from a rare form of breast cancer.

As advised i put all of this into a letter and sent it off just before the end of August.

We have recently received a lengthy reply stating that they have decided not to uphold the complaint due to the reasons mentioned above!!!!! 🙄

You would think they have ignored my letter completely!

It says the usual 'BS' - that the policy was provided as an optional product etc, sufficient info provided!

There is another letter attached after the first, which mentions the complaint being 'time-barred' as over 15 years have passed since the point of sale... and that because we didn't go to court for mis-selling they consider the complaint time-barred.

Is that correct or is that just something they have decide themselves?

Lastly the 3rd letter refers to 'Plevin' and apparently my friend wasn't charged any PPI premiums after 6/04/07 therefore they wont be making any offer of compensation. 

is there anything we can do from here?

This particular claim related to a Dorothy Perkins storecard, I now have to go through the exact same process as above for my friends Evans storecard,

i.e. fos questionnaire and covering letter!

It's crazy when they have had all this info already and will more than likely come back with the same answer as above.

Thank you in advance.

H

unless they can prove they wrote to her previously advising of a PPI reclaim then no they cant claim its SB'd.

and cant see where court comes into it

its something better to PDF the letter here.

SB on PPI starts from 'when you became aware 

I. you had PPI

ii. you could reclaim it.

as for why they have 'as well' anyway , rejected the claim, but relating to false 'reasons' that's immaterial too.

pers i'd bundle the whole thing off to the FOS now [EVERYTHING COPIED TO THEM} with a covering letter BRIEFLY explaining the time line/reasons why you disagree with the decision.

its worthy to note that most store card PPI claims of that era are upheld by them, esp if it was an old GE Money card.

and they