Problem with Lowell and old Oakam loan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1663 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope to get some advice here

my partner received letters (notice of sums in arrears, annual statement) from Lowell about the debt they bought from Okam Ltd for the amount of £10,785.89.

That was shock for me but my partner remembered what it was.

It was loan taken in dec 2012 with his ex wife.

Original amount was around £3k.

They paid as long as they’re were together.

Then couple months later she left him but promised to pay for it.

Unfortunately that loan was only on his name.

That was very nasty divorce and he never thought about it.

He moved few times and changed phone numbers maybe that is why he never received any letters from Okam.

If he will have any doubts about her not paying he would pay this.

We don’t know if Okam send any letters or not.

Either she didn’t tell him on purpose or they never send anything.

Now debt is in Lowell.

And the amount over 10kis just not real for us.

He called Okam yesterday and they couldn’t say much about this debt.

They have on file that the loan existed but no more details.

They said to contact Lowell.

he called them.

Guy on the phone was not pleasant at all.

Tried to take his expenses which most of them my partner didn’t know about them as I look after all the bills.

He could only say how much he earns (his self employed) and they told him that universal credit will be taken fully as his earnings as well.

Then they calculated that he will have to pay around £480 pm.

My partner did not agreed to this and said he will discuss all expenses with partner.

Then he called Lowell again and spoke with manager.

They offer to call us on 14/02 to find reasonable solution and agree repayments.

But tbh I don’t know why from 3k now he has to pay almost 11k.

He doesn’t remember when exactly was last payment.

Definitely something in the begging of 2013 so it’s almost 6 years.

He doesn’t remember how much was already paid.

And we have received letter only with the total amount owed.

My partner once paid off some phone bills debt (his ex and kids) to Lowell and now they back again.

We are not able to pay this.

My partner only works.

I had to quit my job to look after our 2 years old daughter.

We are receiving universal credit.

What should we do now. How to deal with Lowell?

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you had anything via post from Lowell. Also stop phoning them. Everything in writing only. They don't care about you. Just the money.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

480 per month?? This crap needs to be outlawed.. bullying tactics on the phone. They have no more legal power to take that money off you than I do. They love to act like the law though.

Never ever ever speak to them again, block their number, ignore all letters. The only one's not to ignore are Letter Before Action or a Claim Form, in which case there is loads of help here.

More help will be along soon but the loan might not even be enforceable. You send Lowell a CCA Request, if they don't come up with your original agreement in 14 days, they can sing for their money.

Do you know if and when your partner last made a payment to Lowell for this debt?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Have you had anything via post from Lowell. Also stop phoning them. Everything in writing only. They don't care about you. Just the money.

We received letter yesterday. In envelope there was : Notice is Sums in Arrears, annual statement, page with introducing to Lowell and page from Oakham telling us that they sold

debt to Lowell on 13/09/2017.

Just wondering why Lowell didn’t contact us earlier only two months befor 6 years from last payment.

They will call us tonight. What should we do? Ignore? Answer and why to say?

Edited by anna1980

He doesn’t remember exactly which month was last payment.

He moved out in 13/05/2013 and last payment might be in April or March 2013.

How can he check this?

Oakam said they can’t see anything about his debt and now he should contact Lowell

He never paid anything to Lowell in regards this debt.

Payment was made to Oakam

Bet that is full of unlawful charges as well, some added by Lowell.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

We received letter yesterday. In envelope there was : Notice of Sums in Arrears, annual statement, page with introducing to Lowell and page from Oakham telling us that they sold

debt to Lowell on 13/09/2017.

Just wondering why Lowell didn’t contact us earlier only two months befor 6 years from last payment.

They will call us tonight. What should we do? Ignore? Answer and why to say?

Why would they? If they call, simply say in writing only, and hang up. They have no power over you on this. They certainly wouldnt be friendly or do anything to benefit you. They exist purely to milk money fromt he gullible and unsuspecting.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Yes on all counts.

Again like everyone has said do not engage anyone there by phone. They are thieves. Ignore their calls.

Just wondering why Lowell kept quiet for 17 months. Apparently debt was sold to them on 13/09/2017:???:

We had letter from Oakam addressed to him so if they had his new address why they didn’t writ to him themselves. We moved in to this address in May 2015. Why selling debt to Lowell? :| all this is not clear for me

They (Lowell) were just phishing to see if your husband lived at your current address, perhaps they had seen it on his credit file.

Your CCA request will have your current address on it, which is a good thing because it means Lowell won't be able to go for a backdoor CCJ. It's is very important to keep your creditors aware of any address change.

If they sold the debt they did so because they knew there was little chance of ever getting anything back and by doing so Lowells give them a few quid and they can write off the debt against their tax. the down side of this is that the money disappears from their balance sheet as well.

If the loan was defaulted back in 2013 then any interest or charges added since are unlawful and i would also bet that the charges and sunsequent interest applied before this date is likewise unenforceable so the most he waill have to pay is the capital and interest on that capital that was owed back in 2013.

so why have they crept out of the woodwork now?

because they know it isnt too long before it becomes statute barred and a recording of their phone call where your hubby admits owing them something may be enough to reset that clock

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

But I read somewhere that phone call is not counted. Only if he would write to them or from last payment. Is that true?

I am worried that yesterday’s phone call jeopardise everything :| and now they will reset the clock

I doubt it reset the clock.

1. Bullying someone on the phone into paying 400 quid a month won't play too well with the judge if it went to court

2. That's if they even recorded that particular call

3. That depends if they keep their recordings

Writing to them for a CCA request is not considered as acknowledging the debt.

They can't get at any income without a judgment either, and without the supporting paperwork are on shaky ground so see what the SAR brings.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Oakam are a High APR Lender so this is expected for these types of debts.

They buy loads of these debts and have them hanging around for a little while hence the late letter (wonder how many debts they bought)

Send a DSAR to Oakam... Also as well the SOM (Statement Of Means) / I+E here seems shaky ground. Ignore for now until you get a Letter Of Claim etc.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

pers i'd be ringing okam back up.

they MUST hold data for atleast 6yrs under

the prevention of fraud act

and

the data protection act.

so get back on to them.

quote the above

if they still refuse the ask to speak to a supervisor

again state the above.

if they still fail to comply state that as soon as you put the phone down you will be ringing the ICO and opening a serious complaint about them and seeking financial compensation against them.

obv as you've already been told

don't speak to lowells again, they will say anything over the phone to mug people

the only reason why they have left it so long is to rack up the interest they can charge now

your conversations over the phone have not reset the SB clock, they are inadmissible .

there has never been a consumer debt case here that I've seen whereby a phonecall has reset anything.

thread title updated for clarity

moved to the PDL forum

you might find this thread funny

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?406572-200-quid-oakham-loan-now-155-369-00!!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We have ready SAR which will go tomorrow.

What is Statment of means?

Where we can get template for it?

And where to send

it?

Oakam?

Sorry for so many silly questions but we Dont know what to this and all terminology is unknown to us.

If we wouldn’t get guidance from you probably my partner would decide to pay this debt.

Now we are very confused :???:

Shall we send SAR or call Oakam instead?

What should we sent to Lowell? Or wait first for reply from Oakam?

Edited by dx100uk
merge

ignore Lowell till you get a letter of claim.

you can ring and send oakam an sar.

action post 21

statement of means/I+E are part of what lowells tried to do over the phone

forget about them.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

My partner doesn’t know I asked for advice here. He went to get legal advice. They told him to play with time and send back their letters saying “unknown person at this address. Do not send letters”. They said any way of contacting them is accepting the debt. And that is what Lowell wants.