• Tweets

• I have had a secondary thought.  I borrowed £s from a completely separate entity 6y ago. It was personal and unsecured. I was going to repay upon sale of the property. But then repo and I couldn't.  Eventually they applied and got a charging order on the property.  Their lawyers wrote that if I didn't repay they may apply for an order for sale.  I'm not in control of the sale.  The lender won't agree to an order for sale.  The judge won't expedite it/ extract from trial.  Someone here on cag may or may not suggest I can apply for an order v the receiver?  But could I alternatively ask this separate entity with a c.o to carry out their threat and actually make an application to court for an order for sale v the receiver instead?
    • You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
    • LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  He'd simultaneously asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. In later months Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.    Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  (thus I don't know if the buyer would have ever proceeded). He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since (inc via new agent requested by lender). I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

a couple of days ago I had two HCEOs barge into our home around 7am demanding money or they would be removing goods.

Not having experienced anything like this before I just panicked and paid whatever they said.

I've just found this forum and have been reading the posts here.

From some of these earlier posts, it appears that this firm of HCEOs are well known for charging all the fees in one go which they did to me as well.

Does anyone here have any advice or suggestions as to the strength of my case?

This is what happened:-

First off, I was aware of the debt and do not dispute that I owe it.

It's not council tax or anything but a private individual that I owe the money to, I've been attempting to agree a repayment schedule with them but they declined my offers and the next thing I know the HCEOs turn up.

I have just made a subject access request to see exactly what data they have on me.

From reading the section on vulnerability I believe that I have a strong case to be described as vulnerable (I don't want to go into details as it may identify me).

They never sent a Notice of Enforcement.

When they turned up they initially demanded an amount of money that, now I have had time to read up on this, I now realise included both the Stage1 and Stage 2 enforcement fees.

I tried to pay this via credit card a couple of times but that was blocked (I later got a phone call from my cc company as they thought it was a possible fraud).

I then told them that I could contact a family member and they could get cash out of the bank when it opened.

They agreed to this but said that the fee had just gone up.

I now understand that this extra fee was the Stage Sale fee.

Eventually they got their money and left.

While they were in my home they just looked around the place and said that there was nothing really of value

(at that time I wasn't aware that certain goods were exempt and I thought they were going to take all my furniture).

I would welcome some advice on this and I also have a couple of questions.

My two extra questions are,

firstly,

what exactly does "taking control" actually involve?

At no time did they try to secure any of my property,

they did not write anything down,

they simply started walking around the home opening all the cupboards etc.

Secondly, I read on another thread here:-

The bailiff is also required to keep a record of the time that the notice was sent (posted).

With the exception of just a couple of smaller companies, all others use the same mailing firm and their software provides the time that notices are sent.

Is this something that will show up as part of my Subject Access Request?

Edited by tonyton

why did you let them in?

there is no right of entry?

did they barge passed you?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

opps 1st big mistake..

why say they barged passed you then?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

opps 1st big mistake..

why say they barged passed you then?

I'm a bit confused? I didn't say that. I said "they barged in"

Yes, I know now that I should have shut the door and locked it while I went to get my glasses, but as soon as I turned my back they simply walked into the house - that's what I meant by barging in.

How much was your initial CCJ for and when was it granted?

How much did you end up paying them?

The good thing about paying in full is that you are not in danger from the knock at the door and can take your time collating all the info you may require.

If submitting a SAR then make sure you request in particular:

a - the fees that have been charged, the time they were charged for and for what reason

b - a copy of any Body Worn Video including audio

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How much was your initial CCJ for and when was it granted? How much did you end up paying them?

It's from four months ago. I don't really want to be specific about the amounts but it was slightly under £2k and the total fees came to about the same amount.

The good thing about paying in full is that you are not in danger from the knock at the door and can take your time collating all the info you may require.

If submitting a SAR then make sure you request in particular:

a - the fees that have been charged, the time they were charged for and for what reason

b - a copy of any Body Worn Video including audio

Yes, it's a small comfort.

I've requested details of the fees and camera footage, but I didn't ask for a break down of the times that they were charged.

Hello,

This is what happened:-

First off, I was aware of the debt and do not dispute that I owe it.

It's not council tax or anything but a private individual that I owe the money to, I've been attempting to agree a repayment schedule with them but they declined my offers and the next thing I know the HCEOs turn up.

From reading the section on vulnerability I believe that I have a strong case to be described as vulnerable (I don't want to go into details as it may identify me).

They never sent a Notice of Enforcement.

If this is the company that I think it is, I cannot tell you how many times I hear the exact same comment about the lack of a Notice of Enforcement. If it is the same company, a recent High Court judgment ruled that the absence of the Notice of Enforcement was down the the fact that the company had FAILED to send the notice. Nothing can be more serious. I will copy the relevant extract from the Judgment later this afternoon.

Were you left any documents?

They left two pieces of paper showing the two different amounts of money they wanted (as I mentioned above) and a receipt showing the total amount that I had paid in cash

pieces of paper?

no document numbers or titles on them?

and they

pieces of paper?

no document numbers or tittles on them?

OK, I've just got them.

One says "Action Taken" and there is a tick box for "entered premises" with a time of 7am

The next says "Notice after entry or taking control of goods (on a highway) and inventory of goods taken into control" which shows the enforcement fees for stage 1 and stage 2 added together as one fee. There is no time on this.

The next says "Notice that goods have been removed for storage or sale". It then goes on to say "This is to tell you that I have removed the goods listed at the back of the notice to secure storage or for sale" but there is nothing listed on the back. This also adds the Sale Stage fee and is timed at 7:15am

Then there is "Payment Receipt" for the amount paid in cash.

If no inventory, how can they add the Sales Fee? Is this DCBL by any chance with the supervising HCEO in absentia?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

At any time during the visit, was an inventory of goods listed down?

No, nothing at all. and as I say, when I looked at the forms in more detail they entered the premises at 7:00am and by 7:15am they were charging the Sales Fee after my credit card payment had been blocked.

Is this DCBL by any chance with the supervising HCEO in absentia?

I don't like to names names in case it identifies me in any way but, as the old saying goes, if it looks like a duck ...

No, nothing at all. and as I say, when I looked at the forms in more detail they entered the premises at 7:00am and by 7:15am they were charging the Sales Fee after my credit card payment had been blocked

There can be no possibility that you could in any way be liable to be charged ALL fees at the same visit. The agent himself even went as far as to confirm that you do not appear to have sufficient goods to remove. This is clear enough evidence that the 'Sale Stage' fee should never have been applied.

This madness regarding the fees charged for enforcing these judgments and more importantly; the manner in which this particular company 'front load' their fees and esclate to 'sale stage' at the drop of a hat NEEDS TO STOP. If it doesn't then all other companies enforcing High Court judgments are going to be tarred with the same brush.

Edited by Andyorch
Edited

Hello,

As you asked, I have outlined my experience on that link that you sent me for the Ministry of Justice. I'm happy to do my bit to help.

As to next steps, I'll wait until I get the reply to my SAR back. But can anyone give me advice on the next steps? Is it through the County Court or do I need to go to the High Court?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If this is the company that I think it is, I cannot tell you how many times I hear the exact same comment about the lack of a Notice of Enforcement. If it is the same company, a recent High Court judgment ruled that the absence of the Notice of Enforcement was down the the fact that the company had FAILED to send the notice. Nothing can be more serious. I will copy the relevant extract from the Judgment later this afternoon.

The following is an extract from the above mentioned High Court judgment:

It is alleged that DCBL exceeded their enforcement powers by unlawfully seizing first a van and then a powerboat. Proper procedures were, it is said, not followed in respect of either seizure and, in the case of the powerboat, it is said that the boat did not even belong to the judgment debtor. It is said that these wrongful acts were compounded by the presence of a TV crew from a company called Brinkworth Films Limited, filming for the series "Can't Pay? We'll take it away".

On behalf of the claimants, I heard evidence from Mr S and his wife, from the third claimant, Mr H who, with the fourth claimant, Mr Davis, claims to be a co-owner of the boat. I heard from Mr W who was present when the van was seized, and I read a witness statement from Ms H who worked on the reception desk of the boat park from which the boat was seized. For the second and third defendants I heard from Ms M, who is an in-house solicitor in the employment of DCBL.

Remarkably, there was no evidence from the enforcement agents who carried out the seizures. Nor was there any evidence from the manager directly in charge of these agents, who I understand to have been Mr W

The facts

I will first set out the facts as they are agreed or as I find them to be. The fact-finding exercise begins with the notice of enforcement. DCBL use a software package called “Ethos” or “My Ethos”. As I understand it, this system generates the documents necessary to progress debt recovery and allows a record to be made of the steps taken, (though the complete record in this case has never been disclosed).

On 17 May 2017, a Notice of Enforcement addressed to xxxxx at its business address was generated. Ms M's evidence was that it was sent by first-class post. But there is no documentary evidence at all to support that. Ms Miah did not personally post the notice. Although Ethos is capable of generating reports, no report attesting to postage was produced. The evidence that it was posted was based on Ms M's understanding of how the system worked in normal practice.

The paucity of evidence was very surprising given that the giving of notice is, by paragraph 7 of Schedule 12 to the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007, a prerequisite to taking control of goods and that paragraph stipulates that the enforcement agent must keep a record of the date and time when the notice is given.

Both Mr and Mrs S'd denied ever seeing this Notice of Enforcement and there are two reasons why I find that it was never sent.

The first I have already alluded to. The means to demonstrate the sending of the Notice of Enforcement lay within DCBL's power and it was indeed absolutely incumbent upon them to prove this matter. But they failed to do so. I would add that their numerous further failings in the observance of proper and lawful procedures, which I will presently come to, do not inspire me with confidence that the Notice of Enforcement was sent.

Second, Mr S scrupulously produced every document that they received from DCBL and their solicitor, Mr J, visited their business premises in order to satisfy himself that he had been given everything relevant.

If I can say this without impertinence or disrespect, the Slocombes struck me as unsophisticated and artless people who would neither have suppressed the document nor seen any advantage to themselves in doing so.

Given Mr S's somewhat unwise and unreasonable stance in relation to the judgment debt, it is perfectly possible that, if the Notice had arrived, he would have ignored it. But that does not demonstrate that it did arrive.

On the balance of probabilities, I find that it did not arrive and that is because it was never sent.

Edited by Bailiff Advice

Interestingly looks like Ethos is a free accounting package http://www.ethosaccounting.com/

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

A case of a step to far by DCBL.

I think they were getting far to blaze about the Notice of Enforcement issue, nice to see them get bit on the bum.

The law said that the first part of successful "delivery" process was for the creditor/bailiff to show that the notice "was sent "on the balance of probabilities.

The second part, for the debtor to show the notice was not received to be able to challenge.

Future litigants should take heart. In that the judge may ask the creditor to justify his claim in future claims.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Thank you very much for this. Do you happen to have the case citation by any chance?

Sorry

I would love to but currently am unable, it should be publicly available soon if it isn't already.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS