Advice on debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have six outstanding debts that defaulted over six years ago.

Five have been passed on to DCAs, one remains with the original company.

I pay a nominal amount each month.

From reading various threads on the site it seems that once passed to a DCA payment should still be made to the OC.

I am confused because in the case of an outstanding amount to the AA they have only recently sent a letter advising they have assigned the debt to Intrum.

In the case of four of the other debts I am confused as to who I should be paying, especially when you receive a letter from a DCA saying they have bought the debt. If they haven't then how do they get the debt and if I pay them why does the OC not contact me when the monthly payment is missed?

If the debt have been assigned to the DCA then payment should be to the new legal owner...assuming they are legally allowed to collect on the debt and there is no dispute with the original creditor for withholding payment.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

CCA request to each one time me thinks?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If they are CCA regulated debts

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

looks like most of them are by previous threads on each one.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can you provide more details on each debt please

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Can you provide more details on each debt please

One is a loan, four are cc and one is an overdraft.

All defaulted from 2011 to end of January this year.

The loan has been with Blair Oliver & Scott, Drysden Fairfax, Westcot and now Ingrum.

CCs - HSBC

Lloyds - passed to PRA

Sainsburys - now with Cabott

Tesco - just passed to DCA

M&S - still with M&S.

I pay a nominal sum each month for the above.

My Lloyds overdraft has been with Cabott for some months. Lloyds defaulted me and so did Cabott so I have these two remaining. I emailed Cabott to get them to remove it, they said they would. Wrote to Lloyds to get them to remove the default. They wrote back apologising for it not being removed sooner.

I have not requested a CCA for any of them. I am going to though.

Thanks!

Overdrafts don't fall under the normal CCA request, but I guarantee that it's littered with reclaimable fees and charges?

When did you take the loan out?

Was this a Halifax loan?

Was there any PPI on it?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

CCA the ones with a DCA. Cabot dont chase legit debts. Neither do PRA

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

CCA the ones with a DCA. Cabot dont chase legit debts. Neither do PRA

If that is the case how come Cabot contacted me saying they bought the debt from Lloyds and Sains?

They have also on a number of occasions offered me a "settlement" figure on both amounts which I have declined on both occasions!

PRA - so are they chasing for this debt when in fact they probably don't own it? I have only had one conversation with them as they told me they can't contact me as I had specified no contact by phone or letter in a letter I sent them over two years go. This is all very strange.

I had a letter from the AA last week telling me they have assigned my debt to Intrum .

I will certainly CCA the DCA ones for sure.

Thank you!

Edited by Andyorch
name

Just because they bought a debt, doesnt mean its enforceable. CCA them. The offer of a settlement/discount also shows that its unenforceable. They just want to get SOMETHING from you befor eyou find out how its unenforceable.

What do you mean by "unenforceable"? Hold fire I just checked and it is what I thought it was!

In that case would the OC sell the debt to for example Cabot for x amount and then Cabot basically try their luck to get me to pay any amount?

My AA loan is not with Intrum - I am getting confused as I posted about another debt that they had bought.

I will check the AA loan and update :)

its ONLY what DCA's do AS.

sc@m people on debts they don't even owe 99% of the time

do wake up you've been here since 2011 and only just realised that.!!

and they

True I have been here on and off since 2011 :wink:

however in my defence I have found it a bit of a grey area with regard to DCA especially when you have had a letter from the OC advising of them passing the debt on.

Do you pay the DCA or not?

As I said above I have been paying some a minimal amount but will stop now and CCA them.

just type no need to hit reply with quote

makes a thread twice as long.

several unnecessary of previous posters responses removed

there is passing on, whereby the dca states their client is still the OC

those you ignore the dca and onlt ever deal direct with the OC.

then there is selling the debt on whereby you get a notice of assignment that tells you its been sold and now owned by xyz DCA.

typically you get a letter from the dca introducing themselves in the same envelope

brig explained all this years ago in your other threads here.

anyway, with and enforceable and signed consumer credit agreement they aint going nowhere.

which is why a CCA request is so important once a debt ha been sold on.

ideally you should have stopped paying years ago.

force their hand, then you findout the truth

and they

Ok - noted what you say about hitting reply with quote......

I have posted 115 times - you over 124,000. Replies on here may be straightforward and obvious to some but others may find them not so easy to get their heads round.

If Brig explained this years ago - I didn't understand it all then as otherwise I would not have fretted as I have done over some of my still outstanding debts. I was more concerned with the defaults, finding employment again after redundancy started this mess, so by paying only a minimal monthly amount I at least stopped the harassment I experienced initially from both the OC and DCAs.

defaults shouldnt harm employment changes at all AS. not sure where you've got that from...

its better they are defaulted, as I think most of yours are ?

then the debts vanish from your credit file after 6yrs regardless to what you do with them ….paying or not, paid off or not

never to return.

you've highlighted the only thing a dca can do..harassment. that's about it really

they've no more legal powers than you or I.

dx

and they

No that's not what I meant at all. I was made redundant and the debts are a knock on effect from that - it took me a while to find further employment. Nothing to do with defaults I know!

Yes all mine have vanished with the exception of a Lloyds one that should have done some time ago. I wrote to them asking them to remove it and they replied apologising and saying they will get it removed. Cabot also filed a default which ended on 28.01.19 and which will go on the next update of my credit report. They should not have logged this default at all.

Thanks!

so over all not looking too bad then.

lets see what they all come up with then.

Edited by Andyorch
Edited

and they

• 1 month later...

The AA loan I have that I have been defaulted on and which is no longer showing on my credit report as six years have elapsed has been passed to Cabot.

I have received SAR documentation which I requested from Lloyds and surprisingly the paperwork from the loan was included - have since noted HBOS are part of Lloyds.     On looking through the paperwork I came across the words "bad debt W/O".   I have written to Lloyds again to gain clarity on this as there was nothing relating to them passing this over to Cabot.      If the debt has been written off how have Cabot got their hands on it?     I still find it confusing how DCAs seemingly cherry pick debtors.   Is their a database they have access to or something?

w/o means the original creditors has written it off as bad debt on their books.

reclaimed against tax and got payouts from their business insurance scheme they might have

then they sell it on to a debt buyer for 15p=£1

then they come after you for the full value

it cant come back on your file.

see what cabot do.

get reading up  

and they

So they do that and still sell on to debt buyer?   What low lifes eh?    Then the DCA will chase and harass for the original outstanding amount.    You couldn't make it up really could you.

Nothing from Cabot so far.     Thanks for the response.

That's exactly how every single dca works.

Included in a SAR I requested from Sainsburys CC are lots of statements with the outstanding balance remaining exactly the same each month.      I have never been sent any of these statements.     Would that be because Cabot have been involved in chasing for money?

No required to send any once the a/c was terminated by the oc

and they