Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Thread: Advice on debt

Default Advice on debt

I have six outstanding debts that defaulted over six years ago.

Five have been passed on to DCAs, one remains with the original company.

I pay a nominal amount each month.

From reading various threads on the site it seems that once passed to a DCAicon payment should still be made to the OC.

I am confused because in the case of an outstanding amount to the AA they have only recently sent a letter advising they have assigned the debt to Intrum.

In the case of four of the other debts I am confused as to who I should be paying, especially when you receive a letter from a DCA saying they have bought the debt. If they haven't then how do they get the debt and if I pay them why does the OC not contact me when the monthly payment is missed?

Default Re: Advice on debt

If the debt have been assigned to the DCAicon then payment should be to the new legal owner...assuming they are legally allowed to collect on the debt and there is no dispute with the original creditor for withholding payment.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    Follows
    Following

CCA Requesticon to each one time me thinks?

dx

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

If they are CCA regulated debts

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    Follows
    Following

looks like most of them are by previous threads on each one.

dx

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Can you provide more details on each debt please

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
    Can you provide more details on each debt please
    One is a loan, four are cc and one is an overdraft.

All defaulted from 2011 to end of January this year.

The loan has been with Blair Olivericon & Scott, Drysden Fairfax, Westcot and now Ingrum.

CCs - HSBC
    Lloyds - passed to PRA
    Sainsburys - now with Cabott
    Tesco - just passed to DCAicon
    M&S - still with M&S.

I pay a nominal sum each month for the above.

My Lloyds overdraft has been with Cabott for some months. Lloyds defaulted me and so did Cabott so I have these two remaining. I emailed Cabott to get them to remove it, they said they would. Wrote to Lloyds to get them to remove the default. They wrote back apologising for it not being removed sooner.

I have not requested a CCA for any of them. I am going to though.

Thanks!

Overdrafts don't fall under the normal CCA Requesticon, but I guarantee that it's littered with reclaimable fees and charges?

When did you take the loan out?

Was this a halifaxicon loan?

Was there any PPIicon on it?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!
    HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD?

Follows
    Following

Loan was with the AA.

It was taken out in 2005 I think. Without checking I'm not 100% sure.

Unsure about PPIicon but I have sent them a SARicon to check.

CCA the ones with a DCAicon. Cabot dont chase legit debts. Neither do PRA

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
    CCA the ones with a DCAicon. Cabot dont chase legit debts. Neither do PRA
    If that is the case how come Cabot contacted me saying they bought the debt from Lloyds and Sains?

They have also on a number of occasions offered me a "settlement" figure on both amounts which I have declined on both occasions!

PRA - so are they chasing for this debt when in fact they probably don't own it? I have only had one conversation with them as they told me they can't contact me as I had specified no contact by phone or letter in a letter I sent them over two years go. This is all very strange.

I had a letter from the AA last week telling me they have assigned my debt to Intrum .

I will certainly CCA the DCA ones for sure.

Thank you!

Follows
    Following

Just because they bought a debt, doesnt mean its enforceable. CCA them. The offer of a settlement/discount also shows that its unenforceable. They just want to get SOMETHING from you befor eyou find out how its unenforceable.

Follows
    Following

What do you mean by "unenforceable"? Hold fire I just checked and it is what I thought it was!

In that case would the OC sell the debt to for example Cabot for x amount and then Cabot basically try their luck to get me to pay any amount?

My AA loan is not with Intrum - I am getting confused as I posted about another debt that they had bought.

I will check the AA loan and update

its ONLY what DCAicon's do AS.

sc@m people on debts they don't even owe 99% of the time
    do wake up you've been here since 2011 and only just realised that.!!

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

True I have been here on and off since 2011
    however in my defence I have found it a bit of a grey area with regard to DCAicon especially when you have had a letter from the OC advising of them passing the debt on.

Do you pay the DCA or not?
    As I said above I have been paying some a minimal amount but will stop now and CCA them.

just type no need to hit reply with quote
    makes a thread twice as long.
    several unnecessary of previous posters responses removed

there is passing on, whereby the DCAicon states their client is still the OC
    those you ignore the dca and onlt ever deal direct with the OC.

then there is selling the debt on whereby you get a notice of assignment that tells you its been sold and now owned by xyz DCA.
    typically you get a letter from the dca introducing themselves in the same envelope

brig explained all this years ago in your other threads here.

anyway, with and enforceable and signed consumer crediticon agreement they aint going nowhere.
    which is why a CCA Requesticon is so important once a debt ha been sold on.

ideally you should have stopped paying years ago.
    force their hand, then you findout the truth

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Ok - noted what you say about hitting reply with quote......

I have posted 115 times - you over 124,000. Replies on here may be straightforward and obvious to some but others may find them not so easy to get their heads round.

If Brig explained this years ago - I didn't understand it all then as otherwise I would not have fretted as I have done over some of my still outstanding debts. I was more concerned with the defaults, finding employment again after redundancy started this mess, so by paying only a minimal monthly amount I at least stopped the harassment I experienced initially from both the OC and DCAs.

defaults shouldnt harm employment changes at all AS. not sure where you've got that from...

its better they are defaulted, as I think most of yours are ?
    then the debts vanish from your credit file after 6yrs regardless to what you do with them .paying or not, paid off or not
    never to return.

you've highlighted the only thing a DCAicon can do..harassment. that's about it really
    they've no more legal powers than you or I.

dx

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

No that's not what I meant at all. I was made redundant and the debts are a knock on effect from that - it took me a while to find further employment. Nothing to do with defaults I know!

Yes all mine have vanished with the exception of a Lloyds one that should have done some time ago. I wrote to them asking them to remove it and they replied apologising and saying they will get it removed. Cabot also filed a default which ended on 28.01.19 and which will go on the next update of my credit report. They should not have logged this default at all.

Thanks!

so over all not looking too bad then.

lets see what they all come up with then.

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following