Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: House insurance AXA/BV solutions. - wont pay out because of pre-existing damage

Quote Originally Posted by Mwynci View Post
    Apart from discussing an interim payment (which you can also do through AXA), I'd close down any communication with BV, let AXA know you have no confidence in them.
    Glad to say I've spoken to lovely lady at AXA whos sorted it all out and paying me £50 compensation.
    They've now agreed to pay for the ceiling, added on more to cover the extra floor etc.

Over £500 more now. Still no VAT but they have offered to refund if I stump up the invoice. Clever that.

BV are complete cowboys. I really think they basically make up the figure and see if they can get away with it.

Default Re: House insurance AXA/BV solutions. - wont pay out because of pre-existing damage

Thread title amended to reflect the outcome.....well done.

Andy

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Andyorch View Post
    Thread title amended to reflect the outcome.....well done.

Andy
    Yes good news. Although they have said they will wait two weeks and expect to see the invoices for the work done so that I can have the VAT back.

I do intend to get the work done but I had consider getting some done myself. Am I now obliged to provide invoices? I thought the idea of cash settlement was that it was now up to me.

Default Insurance cash settlements and VAT

With my recent claim, I was surprised to find that insurers will not pay out the VAT on any cash settlement they make but they will do so if you provide them with a VAT invoice.

Have had a bit of an argument with my insurer (see other thread) but now they've offered me a decent cash settlement. However, probably because I mentioned it, they said they'll be in touch in two weeks so I can get the VAT invoice to them.

What are the t+cs of a cash settlement like this? Am I obliged to prove where I spent the cash they gave me or they just being helpful here and saying they will pay the VAT if I come good?

Not trying it on here by any means, the claim relates to ceiling and floor damage. I was just considering maybe doing something slightly different to the ceiling, pulling up the old floor myself, maybe laying myself, and then having more left to pay for the flooring. Or is this fraudulent in any way?

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jan 2006

Blog Entries

Default Re: Insurance cash settlements and VAT

If you have lost £XX value then you are entitled to be reimbursed to that value and after that it's what you want to do with the money

MAJOR UPGRADE - March - SEE ANNOUNCEMENTS

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

So they can't insist I provide VAT invoices after the cash settlement then?

I don't like to agree with the insurer, but I'm not sure why you think they should pay VAT on the invoice if you haven't paid VAT. Maybe I've missed something.

HB

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee13 View Post
    I don't like to agree with the insurer, but I'm not sure why you think they should pay VAT on the invoice if you haven't paid VAT. Maybe I've missed something.

HB
    No you misunderstand. I'm not after something I haven't paid myself.

For the sake of argument, they pay me £1000 in cash settlement. Am I then obliged to provide invoices up to the value of £1000+VAT (after which they will pay an extra £200 on to top).

Or am I free to do it myself if I want, or pay a mate, or pay someone whos not vat registered? (which is my favourite option). Or ultimately, not that I'm going to, leave it as if is and trouser the cash?

I thought it was a case of heres the cash now go away but they were obliged to stump up the vat if you proved you'd paid it. If you never went back to them with an invoice they didnt care about it.

Default Re: House insurance AXA/BV solutions. - wont pay out because of pre-existing damage***Resolved***

Threads merged....please do not start new threads on the same issue.

Andy

Follows
    Following

Default Re: House insurance AXA/BV solutions. - wont pay out because of pre-existing damage***Resolved***

Think a post got missed here somehow in the merge.

To confirm, Im not trying to pull a fast one and there is nothing dodgy going on. They've now paid the cash settlement.

Understand the VAT thing now. Fair enough from the insurer. What I want to understand though is with a cash settlement, do I HAVE to provide a VAT receipt to prove I didn't pocket the cash? Or dont insurer care now and are just being nice about the VAT?

I was hoping to panel the ceiling rather than plaster the ceiling (as listed on statement of works from insurer) and maybe get the floor done in a few months rather than immediately. Just wondered if I could do that.

Do as you wish now they have paid you....forget the VAT.

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Andyorch View Post
    Do as you wish now they have paid you....forget the VAT.
    Right so the VAT on top is the "we'll pay it if you give us an invoice" but there is no obligation on my part now?

I guess no skin off insurers nose if I claim the VAT because they themselves claim back? is that right?

Forget the VAT

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
    Right so the VAT on top is the "we'll pay it if you give us an invoice" but there is no obligation on my part now?

I guess no skin off insurers nose if I claim the VAT because they themselves claim back? is that right?
    Insurance companies cannot reclaim the VAT.

... but, no they will not chase you for a VAT invoice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details