Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: SP30 - 63mph in a 30mph

I admitted guilt so I know I was in the wrong and my mistake 100%, but i think the road should be signposted more, and since it is the highest earning camera maybe the council need to re-evaluate just WHY so many people are making the mistake... i dont have all the answers but clearly there is a fundamental issue with the roads signposting

It doesnt need to be. Theres clear signage and road markings that denote the speed limit. You simply were too distracted to notice them. It happens. You admitted guilt, so its time to chalk it to to a mistake, and move on.

And you say so many people make the mistake.. simple. They dont concentrate. It has nothing to do with signage or road markings. They just tunnel vision and block out signage, when they need to realise, when theyre driving, you need to have full concentration around you and the vehicle.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

Infact., looking at google street view it is CLEARLY not a 60mph road. Its a built up area with bus stops, houses on the side and residential areas.

If people honestley think its a 60mph limit... perhaps the fines etc need to be raised. Theres even a sign just before the speed camera signs that show a warning that a school is ahead.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

OMG, 63 in a 30 and you think its unfair................... ..................

H

40 years at the pointy end of the motor trade.
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by imcallumwbu View Post
    Anyways, they are really poor quality and you cant see the road markings etc however the camera clocked me at 63, could i plead innocent and say the camera was faulty and since they cant prove the speed by way of road markings my punishment should be lenient or dismissed?
    The Gatso's primary speed measurement comes from the radar device - the distance you have travelled between the two photographs simply acts as a secondary or back-up check. The markings on the road look pretty clear to me. And even if they weren't clear there is an approved technique for carrying out the secondary check using photogrammetry - so the lines are only there for convenience, they are not actually required for a successful prosecution.

A lot of people have indicated the street light thing for when you miss a sign, fair enough its common sense, but surely common sense cannot be relied upon in court? I dont recall anything during learning to drive, theory tests, or highway code that says if theres lights on the road it is a 30mph zone
    That would be Highway Code Rule 123 - "The 30 mph limit usually applies to all traffic on all roads with street lighting unless signs show otherwise". The actual law is found in the Road Traffic Regulation Act sections 81 and 82.

I think one sign one a dual carriageway which can be easily missed in the dark is not sufficient... i have already pleaded guilty, but i think its unfair...
    Well, the streetlights themselves are the signs that it's a 30mph limit. Road sign regulations actually prohibit putting 30 repeaters on a road with street lighting (other than the combined 30/speed camera sign which they have there). It would be impractical to put them on every road in towns and cities, and putting them on some street-lit roads but not others would probably cause more confusion than it solved. How would you decide which ones to put them on? How would you deal with all the people saying "yeah, but this road doesn't have repeaters but that other vaguely similar road does, so surely it's unfair to prosecute me for speeding"? Overall it would just end up diluting the clear rule that a road with streetlights is 30mph unless signs show otherwise.

I'm afraid that nothing you've said suggests that you have any defence. Pleading guilty and sounding contrite is probably your best option.

to argue againt the calibration of the radar device is very difficult and they certainly arent going to let you take their camera to bits and start measuring it with an oscilloscope just to prove you were only doing 61 in a 30 rather than the 63 you were clocked at. The paint lines are there to make it easier for joe public to understand and accept the pictures sent but those pictures are only the end product of the overall event.

If it was a hand held device all sorts of things can go wrong but with a fixed camera they arent going to be out by more than 1% in any plane so 3% at most. I have had my only problem with speeding where the camera had the wrong time in the images but ultimately that doesnt change the workings of the radar and so arguing about ther quality fo an unneccessary paint line wont win you any sympathy if you decide to go to court and challenge this.

The other point you make is that you knew about this camera already so cant really say that you were ambushed by it's cunning position. there is one placed at the bottom of the M11 in east londoon that catches hundreds of people a day as the motorway becomes a 50mph dual carriageway. Again the locals know all too well about this and happily warn anyone who is coming to visit so yours is not a unique situation.

Follows
    Following

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2