Car Stolen

Hair Bear
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just into the New Year I obtained a second car for the wife.

It was a 2004 mitsubishi carisma DID.

Although it had 141K on the clock it was in immaculate condition and had a FSH.

It was cheaper for me to change my single-car policy to duel-car than she take out insurance separately, so that's what I did.

A week ago Thursday someone decided to steal it.

I rang the police, who asked if there was any cctv.

I told them where they could find it, and left it at that.

I rang back a couple of days later to find out if there was any progress, only to be told that they weren't actually going to go around to these cctv owners without my first asking the owners to scroll through and see if they could spot the baddie's registration or face. Fair enough, but why not tell me this as the time of the initial call rather than 48 hours later?

Since then I've discovered from one of the cctv owners that it was taken away on a white ford low-loader, the other owners are shop/pub people who said they would give information if the police go around but not deal with me directly. In short, I can't see me getting back the car.

So to the insurance.

How does this work?

I've informed them of the theft but said I wanted to see how things played out in terms of getting back the car before I put in a claim.

But I'm not sure it is even worth claiming for.

I valued the car at £700, but the insurance people might not think it is worth it.

Do they have to pay out what you valued the car at?

Also, I'm liable for the first £400, so even if they did pay out on my valuation, I would only be getting back £300

- okay if that's all you can get back, but how much would I lose in no claims?

Additionally, since I'm paying monthly, if they do pay out will I be obliged to finish paying off all the payments?

If so, it definitely wouldn't be worth claiming if i can instead simply revert to paying only for one car instead (currently i'm paying £84 a month for two cars, it was £38 a month for just the one), but then again, would I be allowed to change payments if i don't claim, and could I also stop the payments on the breakdown coverage?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

All the policy amendments are usually subjected to an admin fee, but I can't see the insurance company refusing to terminate the policy of a stolen vehicle whether you claim or not.

If you claim you will have to declare a claim when renewing.

If you don't claim you have to declare a loss.

One way or another, the quote's questions are designed to squeeze as much money as possible out of you.

You'll never win against insurance, so get what you can.

you sure this was stolen?

sounds like an old logbook loan under a bill of sale by a previous owner and they snatched it back?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Whatever you decide to do , either claim or don't claim I up to you but I you pay your insurance monthly you will have to pay the full years insurance quote if you claim. Or you can cancel the policy and pay the cancellation fee if you don claim.

Alternatively you could buy another car and modify the policy.

you sure this was stolen?

sounds like an old logbook loan under a bill of sale by a previous owner and they snatched it back?

dx

It was definitely stolen. I know the old owner and she's the most honest law-abiding person I know and is horrified that it was stolen.

king12345;5175074" Your "I can't see the insurance company refusing to terminate the policy of a stolen vehicle whether you claim or not" is contrary to sgtbush's "you can cancel the policy and pay the cancellation fee if you don't claim." Both can't be right. any thoughts anyone?

Can anyone tell me how the no claims works. The insurance company said "You will lose five years if you claim, so your nine years will be down to four." I paid for the insurance through the Internet, and to the best of my memory it only offered up to nine years in the tick box. There are, however, some comparison sites that allow you to go up to over thirty years. I have been getting insurance with no claims for thirty years, so if my present company send documentation through that says I'm entitled to only four years no claims, how do I go about proving my claims should be (30 - 5) 25 years not four?

Get proof

Use it with your new quote

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

What did your insurers say about the stolen car?  My understanding (I may be mistaken) is that if the stolen car is involved in an accident (and there is no other insurance on it) then your insurers will be potentially liable if your policy is extant.  I would have thought they would want you  to "cancel" it straight away..

And yes, AIUI, whatever you do, you still need to pay the full year's premium

• 1 month later...
On 07/03/2019 at 16:06, Manxman in exile said:

What did your insurers say about the stolen car?  My understanding (I may be mistaken) is that if the stolen car is involved in an accident (and there is no other insurance on it) then your insurers will be potentially liable if your policy is extant.  I would have thought they would want you  to "cancel" it straight away..

And yes, AIUI, whatever you do, you still need to pay the full year's premium

So sorry I didn't reply earlier. They have now paid out.

• Like 1

Gret news.  Thanks for letting us know.