style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My girlfriend and I are moving house at the end of March, and have agreed with a lettings agency to move to a new property. The initial payment to hold the property was £500 with £200 of that to come off the first months rent. We agreed the fees etc and am just awaiting the forms to complete.

However when I was just speaking to them on the phone, the gentleman I had previously been dealing with admitted he had made an error with the fees and needed to pass me on to one of his colleagues. I was then passed on a rather gruff assertive woman who stated that they needed and extra £90 to be paid as exit fees in advance. I queried this, and she said it's standard practice to ask for it in advance (which I know is nonsense).

Personally I don't think charging £90 to leave a property to be fair, and the only reason they want it up front is because people don't pay it.

My question to anyone is, is this reasonable? And given how we have already agreed a price etc how can they come back and request extra money?

They know that after June they are barred from charging you a bean for a service they supply to the landlord so they are trying it on.

Tell them that you are happy to arrange an exit inventory when the time comes and will pay the person directly.

See what they say about that as it isn't unreasonable. what is likely though is the LL doesn't know about what charges are sent to you and probably wouldn't agree to them anyway but often you dont get that far because the letting agency is the gatekeeper.

Edited by Andyorch
Typos/paras

Thanks for the reply. We're meeting her on Tuesday so I'll mention it to her and ask if in the future she would go direct, and I'll get her number. We've been caught out by lettings agents in our current property. This time I'll be damned sure I'm not going to fall in line with what a lettings agent says.

My point of view is that the fees should be transparent and clearly made available to me prior to entering into the contract I now find myself in. Oddly enough, they still haven't sent me through a statement of accounts 24 hours later, and I find this a really odd way of opening a relationship with someone. Hardly gives off the impression that they're fair and just, and completely trustworthy.

• 1 month later...