Working abroad and tax & entitlements whilst away when you get back.

toys19
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There is a possibility of a job in Europe for me. Yay... I have dual brit and irish nationality, so no brexit worries about visas etc.

I guess there are two scenarios - if brexit happens or if it doesn't happen...

I suppose if it does happen I should consider it as worst case - it would be the same as going to some non EU/Non commonwealth country.

If it doesn't happen, I still do not understand the current rules.

They want to pay me via the french tax system, it will be full time, I have seen the income projection and tax etc and I am happy with it.

I will still declare a self employed income in the UK due to small consultancy jobs and my small rental portfolio. also approx 60k a year. (30k each between me and wife)

I am deeply confused about lots of stuff.

1) If I pay french taxes as Irish me do I have to pay any more tax on any euros I might bring back to the uk?

2) Will it have any bearing on my self employed income in the uk?

3) Will being away for any period effect my entitlement to NHS services and future state pension? Or anything else? will the kids be allowed back into UK state schools etc?

And is there anything else I should be aware of? Like I know I will have a driving licence problem to solve as mine is UK.

Not sure about the tax but I did see on the news about the EHIC card is only valid until around 2020.

I never thought about this and can see why.

I do know that the government would have to negotiate with individual country's to form a agreement about end user free treatments.

Well for me it will be feb19 until minimum july 2020. The kids will come over in the summer in time to start school until july 2020 also.

Then we need to make a decision to stay or come back as the older one will be heading towards GCSES. Its a permanent job and I have wanted to move there for ages, I know the area and have lots of friends and colleagues there already.

(edit -that is as long as we all like it, I kinda have until june to be sure, then we have to make major decisions about kids and renting out our house etc.)

I think this is a difficult time to be asking and you may need an accountant who understands French and UK tax. On the face of it, if you spend over six months of the year in France you need to pay income tax there.

Can't your future employer help you?

With healthcare, there won't be any if there's a hard Brexit. Would this employer put you in the French system? I don't know how that would apply to your family.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sorry your reply makes me wonder if my OP made any sense, apologies for not being clear.

I will be paying full french tax from day one as french tax payer. That I do not have a problem with.

1) I want to know firstly is if I have paid tax on my french income, when I bring that back to the Uk, ie change my wages into pounds and put it in a UK bank account, will I have to pay any more tax in the UK?

2) I am not concerned about healthcare in France, I have that covered. I am concerned about entitlements when I come home to the UK. Eg do you lose them if you stay away for too long?