• Tweets

• The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Another Hermes "Lost" parcel

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Here's what happened.

I posted a parcel to acustomer, the parcel contained a hand made item and my customer paidme £572. I took out the maximum insurance of £300 with Hermes.

They lost the parcel attheir Weybridge depot.

After over a month andhours spent on the phone and writing letters and messages, they havesaid that they will only offer me the £300 plus my postage cost of£17.45 as I had agreed to their terms and conditions which limitstheir liability.

This somehow doesn'tseem fair, they accepted my parcel and agreed to deliver it to mycustomer, they lost it whilst it was in their care. Surely theyshould accept that they failed to fulfill their contract with me andshould therefore compensate me fully for my loss.

My question is, if Ieventually land up taking this to the small claims court, am I goingto win or do I cut my losses and accept their miserable offering?

Any advice will be muchappreciated

Ron

Hi and welcome to CAG

I'm sure you have already seen other threads about Hermes and/or Parcels2Go

I believe they should fully refund. Just because their terms and conditions state that £300 is the maximum does not make this true. It is (in my opinion) an unfair term.

I'm sure others would state that you send a Letter Before Action giving them 14 days to respond then if they don't, sue them Do not do this if you are not prepared to go all the way

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

The only thing that will make hermes sit up and take notice is a court claim through their door. This happens way too often with this company, and they know many people will just shrug and take the compo.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi,

Many thanks.

At the moment I'm trying to weigh it all up and decide on what action to take.

Am I right to assume that if I took the small claims court course of action their decision would be based on something laid down in law (or case law)?

If this is the case then what would favour Hermes and what would favour myself?

They have made an offer, should I accept this now with some form of caveat that states that my acceptance of this payment does not jeopardise the full claim I am pursuing?

Many thanks

Ron

Doubtful. They keep falling back on their own terms and conditions rather than case law. But before you threaten court, you need to do extensive research, as you shouldnt go ahead with court action unless youre prepared to see it through to the end.

From what ive seen and read, they tend to fall to their terms, and if that doesnt work, ask for mediation to try and agree something out of court.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hi,

Thanks.

Surely the Small Claims Court will be judging the matter on compliance with current law or case law?

If there is conflict between Hermes' terms & conditions and current law then it for the court to make an appropriate judgement?

Hermes don't appear to participate in any mediation service and of course if there's a good chance of winning a court case then I would be willing to see it through to the end.

They have made an offer, should I accept this now with some form of caveat that states that my acceptance of this payment does not jeopardise the full claim I am pursuing?

Many thanks

Ron

They have made an offer, should I accept this now with some form of caveat that states that my acceptance of this payment does not jeopardise the full claim I am pursuing

Thats entirely up to you. But the latter depends on the exact wording of their offer. If they have said its in full settlement, then you wont be able to accept it then chase further on.

Normally I am very bullish when people have problems with Hermes – but I'm afraid that I don't feel comfortable when the issue concerns the misstating of the value of an item when the delivery is booked.

The reason for this is that all of the parties to a contract are entitled to understand what they are agreeing to and the level of risk that they are accepting in return for the price they are charging.

You will see other cases on this forum where Hermes have attempted to deny liability because the item that they have agreed to carry turns out to be on their prohibited list but despite this, the loss of the item has nothing to do with the fact that it was prohibited in that it contained glass, or blades, or a liquid – et cetera.

In this case however, you told Hermes that it was worth £300 and this is what they thought their level of risk was. If you had disclosed to them the correct value then they might well have said to you that they would refuse to carry it – or else they would have warned you that they were not prepared to accept that level of risk and they would only refund you £300 in the event that the item was lost. You would then have been fully informed and you could have made your decision. By not informing Hermes as to the true value – for whatever reason – you have not given Hermes the opportunity to make the same kind of decision about whether or not they wanted to accept this job.

Don't imagine that I'm a fan of Hermes. I'm really not. However, I would not be confident about advising you to begin a legal action on this. I believe that there is a very strong chance that Hermes might win and that you would then be out of pocket by at least the difference between £300 and the full value as well as the court fees and a hearing fee.

You have just referred in your last post to the booking form. You say that you did declare the full value there. If that is correct then that changes everything, of course. Could you please post up a copy of the booking form on this thread in PDF format.

Hi,

Thanks.

The booking process has a page dedicated to the parcel contents and its value. When I booked my parcel I filled in these details. Hand made Ash bowl. £572. It was very clear, they knew its value before accepting my booking and cash.

Many thanks

Ron

Capture.pdf

I have just spent a little time online trying to send a parcel worth £650. Using Hermes when you get to what value it offers a box to input the figure but there is no warning flashed up to say that exceeds their maximum value of £300 - there is a small ? that if clicked tells you:

"What's the value?

Please provide an estimate of the approximate value of your parcel contents. This may effect your cover."

This to me seems to give the impression that for a fee they would accept any value.

Going on to the next page you get the chance to include extra cover up to the value of £300:

"Cover (up to £300)

In the event of loss or damage of items we can compensate you up to the value of £300. We will make 3 attempts to deliver and requires a signature."

No where does it state or give warning that a value over £300 is at your own risk.

Using the same details with some other companies gives an extension of the value required at an approx price of an extra £30 or thereabouts. I would contend therefore that Hermes site is sadly lacking in the facilities and information they should be giving out.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fine. I had not fully understood the story.

In that case I suggest that you can decide to bring a legal action with a high level of confidence that you will succeed.

If you want to send them a letter of claim giving them 14 days, then begin the legal action and we will help you draft the particulars.

if you want to send a letter of claim then you must intend to carry out your threat. Don't bluff.

I think that the appropriate argument here is that you put them on notice as to the true value of the item – £572. You paid for an insurance cover which effectively allows them to ensure themselves for £300 of the loss and they took the balance of the loss on their own shoulders.

My understanding from what you have said is that is has been posted above, they don't give any warning or refusal to carry anything more than £300. Insurance cover effectively ensures them.

Once again, my general position here is that it is absurd that the customer has to pay for an insurance to the supplier in order to make sure that the supplier doesn't breach the contract. This is exactly the equivalent of an extended warranty.

I wonder why they don't exclude items of more than £xxx so to avoid having to pay out thousands for a £2 delivery.

Imagine a diamond, small and expensive, can be posted for a couple of quid.

Why none of the couriers thought of a max value allowance is beyond me.

Even considering the stupid extra cover.