Received TfL letter for using sister's travel pass

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been contacted by TFL for using my sisters card.

How do I start a new thread to get help.

I had apologised to TFL for using my sisters travel pass with my photo card.

They have wrote me another letter saying it can’t be an error.

I rang them up to see if there were any chances to settle this out of court.

To which they replied they do not settle out of court.

I really don’t want a criminal record for my mistake.

I am looking forward to this forum to help me.

I said to TFL, that I picked it up while hurrying for work.

It was a staff discount card.

It is not age related.

I wrote a letter apologising and will to pay fines and administrative costs.

Edited by dx100uk
merge/space

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the extra information. My reply to you seems to have gone walkabout but you've answered my questions.

TfL don't like this sort of thing, they don't understand [and I don't really] how you can pick up a card that doesn't look like your own, if you have one, and then use it with the wrong photo ID.

Have you had a court summons so far?

We have a couple of other similar threads here but I don't think they've been resolved yet. It's worth having a read around the forum.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I do not have a court summons yet.

They have written to me that they are still deciding.

My sisters monthly pass was left on the table ( it did not have her picture but just a small photo ID number).

I mistakenly took it thinking it’s mine only looking until when it was valid.

How do I explain this to TFL?

I regret not being more aware.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

I don't know how to explain it, maybe someone else will. We see this story all the time and it's amazing the coincidences that happen when there's a full-priced card and a discount card. From what TfL have said to you, it seems they've heard the same thing a lot.

You can keep talking to them up to and including any court day to try to resolve this.

HB

Thanks for your advice. Are there any chances of settling this out of court?

what other form of apology would they accept? Should I write to them again?

We have too little detail to be able to fully advise.

What really happened?

What colour wallets were the card (s) in?. If not their original wallets, why not?

Bear in mind CAG has heard all sorts of stories of how someone 'accidentally' used the wrong pass. Some seem more plausible than others.

TfL will have heard as many, and more. How do you intend to persuade them yours has the ring of truth (starting with the whole, unvarnished truth is a good starting point ....)

Do you think you might accidentally have used the wrong pass more than once?.

I did not use the pass before.

I did ask my sister why her pass was lying on the table and not in her photocard holder.

She said that she had spilled coffee on her photocard holder and removed the travel pass and kept it on the table.

Is it worth explaining this to TFL or just saying that I used my sisters card?

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

I did not use the pass before. I did ask my sister why her pass was lying on the table and not in her photocard holder. She said that she had spilled coffee on her photocard holder and removed the travel pass and kept it on the table.

If you picked up your sister's staff pass, not in a wallet:

a) why wasn't your pass in a wallet?

b) what colour is your pass? and hers?.

Was hers like:

http://i.imgur.com/aSReD.jpg

Was it really a mistake?. If it was, be prepared to explain it in detail, as TfL hear "it was a mistake" all the time.

so you only used it once.

was this by design..you meant to do it, or just a mistake upon your behalf?

thread tidied too.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So you're saying that you only used your sister's pass once, but that you took it knowing that you didn't have your own pass that month? That doesn't look great.

Remember that TfL can check journeys on the card going back about 8 weeks.

HB

This was my mistake. I did not realise I did not buy a pass for that month.

So, not only did you mistake your Sister’s staff pass for your pass, you forgot you hadn’t bought a pass that month.

I can’t see TfL being convinced this was an honest mistake.

Will it be better if I say I did it on purpose? But if I did, it would mean that I lied in my first letter

I don’t know, what is the truth??

The problem with lying is remembering who you have told what. The advantage of the truth : only one version to remember!

I received a letter from TFL stating that I was reported for failing to provide a valid ticket, pass or photo-card on a TFL journey. I write this letter to explain my version of events.

I took my sisters monthly pass in a haste while leaving my house. When asked to show my valid ticket for the journey, I showed the pass and the inspector pointed out it was not my pass. I realised my mistake and he withdrew both and took my interview under caution.

I would like to apologise to the TFL team and I am willing to pay any fines, or the charges due to extra administration work TFL had to go thorough because of my mistake. Hoping that TFL would to solve the matter out of court.

if that's all you sent IMHO its a bit bare and you seriously need to come clean, unless you honestly thought yours was still valid and picked hers up thinking it was your valid card?

but if you really knew yours was empty and took hers par chance you didn't get caught and did...

its sort of in a way going in your favour, as you knew you'd be caught and did...

pers I think you need to send another, more frank and honest begging letter like the ones we have here..

if yours was only what is above, it doesn't address their pondering that it wasn't a mistake.

might be better if you scan yup their reply to PDF please

read upload.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I agree with dx. To have any chance of TfL settling this, in addition to what dx says, you need to show genuine remorse and tell them what impact a conviction would have on your career or future career. And you need to promise you'll never, ever do this again.

HB