style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

My stepson aged 30 recently left the family home after living with us for over two years and moved in with his girlfriend. Although his mail came to our home, he was never on the electoral roll as residing here. Having cleared his room following his departure, we found a large quantity of unopened mail from creditors and a CCJ from a few months ago demanding he maintains his agreed £100 per month payments.

Yesterday, a bailiff turned up at our home demanding £1,750 that my stepson has run up as a debt, but with whom I don't know. I told him that he moved out in November to an address I didn't know. The bailiff was adamant that the £1,750 had to paid there and then and said that if I couldn't pay it, then he would require access to our home to remove goods to that value. I told him that there was nothing of my stepson's in the house which the bailiff said was of no concern to him, and unless we could provide receipts for our property, then he considered it fair game to remove.

Not wishing to see our house stripped of its contents, I paid the £1,750 and the bailiff went on his way. Had he gained entry, should I not have paid, would he have had the right to remove our belongings if we couldn't provide receipts?

I'm sure this won't be the last visit, it seems my stepson owes a great deal of money to various companies and I'd like to know where my wife and I stand in readiness for the next anticipated call from the bailiffs. Thank you

Username amended.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

thread title updated

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thread title reverted back to OPs

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I would hazard a guess that the Agent who attended did so on behalf of a High Court Enforcement Officer. Somewhere amongst his letters will be the original CCJ + a Notice of Enforcement that relates to all this. If he has just been burying his head when letters have arrived then sad to say he will have little recourse to having it Set Aside etc. The attending Agent may only seize/take control of goods belonging to the debtor and really all that should have happened was you told him he did not reside here, you don't know where he is so go along nicely please. Of course if you had of done that then they would have returned and after this has happened 3 or 4 times they would have given up. In hindsight it is easy.

Having paid it becomes a little more difficult as you could argue you were put under duress to pay, they will say you paid voluntarily and a chargeback on your card may then be a tad awkward. Having paid in full then there is no fear of the knock on the door and you would have to sort some sort of payment scheme out with him to get reimbursed.

I would be tempted to make a complaint to Marston about what happened but don't expect too much sympathy back from them.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]