Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Default Used car windscreen chip

Hello,

2 weeks ago I bought a used car and all looked good. This weekend, after washing it and driving home we noticed a chip in the drivers view on the windscreen that was not visible before.

Thinking this must have been caused by a stone on the way home we called AutoWindsreens out. However, the technician advised that it was in fact an old repair and there was nothing more that could be done to make it look any better. He did say that it was structurally sound.

As this must have been present at time of purchase, albeit not visible (not sure if the autoglym products the dealer applied to the windows could have hidden the damage?) do we have any rights to get the dealer to replace the screen?

Thank you

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jan 2006

Blog Entries

Default Re: Used car windscreen chip

I would say that if the damage has not affected the structural integrity of the windscreen and if it has not rendered the vehicle dangerous, then there is nothing you can do about it. You have bought a second-hand vehicle with all of the characteristics/qualities of a second-hand vehicle

MAJOR UPGRADE - March - SEE ANNOUNCEMENTS

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

Small defects are to be expected on a used vehicle.
    It's not going to crack, so you just have to live with it and if one day the screen cracked, then you have windscreen cover on your insurance.

Thank you both. I thought that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDinosaur View Post
    Thank you both. I thought that would be the case.
    You may have something there re windscreen cleaning products. I have exactly the same problem

I would get one of these repair kits off Amazonicon :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had numerous very small chips which would glint when the sun caught them. I wasn't very hopeful given the price but it worked really well and now they can hardly be seen.

Took a long time to come all the way from China but I will get another one when the filler runs out.

H

40 years at the pointy end of the motor trade.
    Follows
    Following