style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Google your local council Code of Practice on Ctax Recovery, you will see that being out of work , on benefits makes you a vulnerable person for the purposes of Council Tax collection, meaning that bailiffs cannot be used.

Simply not true.

More likely to be vulnerable not is vulnerable

The pdf document says MAY and COULD be everywhere, not WILL BE

Someone who is on benefits is not automatically considered vulnerable. The chances are higher but not automatically.

In your case your wife was chronically ill. That satisfys criteria for a vulnerable household (dependent on medical proof).. Your case is different to op case and your trying to read between the lines too casually

I don't claim to be an expert, like many I go by my own experiences, which were different to the OP's.

However someone on Benefits, I would say stands a better than 50% chance of this working if he / she at least tries this. They really have nothing at all to lose here. Plus they should be getting their local councilor to work for them here.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Its a simple enough mistake to make, but just think what would happen if everyone who was out of work or disabled or pregnant whatever were automatically vulnerable for the meaning of the act.

No the guidelines give instances where vulnerability may be more likely, so the bailiff should be more vigilant. The debtor still has to prove his claim, on request.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I agree, there are loads of people who say they are vulnerable, and probably are not. However Councils do not want benefits deaths or starvation on their hands, especially when there is really nothing the bailiffs can do anyway recover funding. The OP would be well advised to simply run it past his local Councillor, I'd say a very good chance of it being handed back to the council.

Hopefully we hear back from the OP with an update soon.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yes, and I hear incidents of Black Death and Scurvy have been reported.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/dwps-secret-reviews-have-seen-benefit-related-deaths-double-in-two-years/

Sadly, it happens.. although incredibly rare. Benefit deaths aside, unfortunately heat or eat is a reality for many thousands of households, I would have been in that situation at some point of my parents weren't there to help.

But the fact remains, there are a lot of people who can get the bailiffs of their back in that situation, but don't know how to. In fact councils should be more pro active, in this regard.