Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does peaceful entry to an an outbuilding grant access to the rest of the house?

This is a very general question and I would like to keep it general.

If a bailiff pursuing debt gains peaceful entry to an outbuilding of a house, does it grant him right to force entry into the main building.

In my case, the outbuilding is a detached garage with an adjoining annexe, both of which are detached from my house.
    The debtor is occupying this annexe and not the main house and has no property in my main house.
    I don't mind giving access to this outbuilding but I don't want the bailiff to gain access to my house.

The annexe is not a separate address.

Follows
    Following

Default Re: Does peaceful entry to an an outbuilding grant access to the rest of the house?

no he cant

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Default Re: Does peaceful entry to an an outbuilding grant access to the rest of the house?

Thanks. Can you please reference an official document for this.

whats the debt, I know you want to keep this general but..

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

To get access to the main building, he has to get in through the door. Be it unlocked or invited. He could get access to an outbuilding if unlocked but thats all he would have access too.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

I read that once a bailiff is "in your house they have the right of access to all rooms, and can use force to gain access into other parts of the property." See https://www.payplan.com/advice/colle...with-bailiffs/

The question is:- Would this apply to a multi-building house?

It's a debt to a landlord and not a fine.
    It's not a criminal fine, so it's a county courticon bailiff and not an HCEO.

Quote Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
    To get access to the main building, he has to get in through the door. Be it unlocked or invited. He could get access to an outbuilding if unlocked but thats all he would have access too.
    You are implying that having gained access to an outbuilding he wouldn't then have forced entry right to the main building.

Can you please reference an official document for this.

Follows
    Following

Let the debtor deal with it then.
    county courticon bailiff is not there nor can force entry anywhere
    Its not a business debt

To all intent and purpose you and the debtor can simply ignore him.

it always worries me when a poster says:

This is a very general question and I would like to keep it general.

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

I don't understand "county courticon bailiff is not there". Was this a typo?

Yes I know that I can simply ignore a bailiff and he can't force entry.

However, it might get him off my back if I cooperated and let him into the outbuilding but I would not want to do this if I granted him access to my house too.

Follows
    Following

should have been a too in their...
    the issue is not your problem, you should not get involved.

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

You are not the debtor, the bailiff has no business with you, and if he did tell you anything about the debt he should be reported for breach of DPA. You don't have to let him into anywhere, and as the annexe is away from main building and you are not the debtor he has no business with the occupants of the Main House.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for that.
    When the bailiff turns up what do I tell him?
    He has been informed that the debtor has moved in with me so he will expect him to be in the house, not being aware of the layout of my plot or where the debtor is in the plot.

Shall I just refuse to answer any questions?
    I feel it would be safer for me to tell him that the debtor resides in the annexe and to make a statutory declaration that the debtor has no possessions in the house.
    Would this at least safeguard me should he later discover an unlocked door to either to the house or the annexe?

Follows
    Following

it is nothing to do with you.!!!

why do you think a bailiff will come??
    HOW do you know?

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

You could tell him he lives in the annexe and has no property in the main house, you don't let him in to either, do you know anything about the debt, as in civil or mag court? If civil no right of forced entry to anything only through unlocked door, so mention to debtor to keep all annexe doors locked, and you do same to main house. Otherwise do not engage with bailiff if you can help it.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!
    Follows
    Following

Is the debt civil or criminal?

If civil it could just be a debt collectoricon who can be told to do one. If a CCJ has been awarded then it depends on what type of debt and/or whether it is subject to CCA or not. If yes then it may just be the county courticon Bailiff otherwise and if for more than 600 it could be transferred to the High Court purely for enforcement alone ans a visit from a High Court Enforcement Officer/Agent is a possibility.

There is no simple answer as it depends on the debt involved and at what stage in proceedings you are at.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by brassnecked View Post
    You could tell him he lives in the annexe and has no property in the main house, you don't let him in to either, do you know anything about the debt, as in civil or mag court? If civil no right of forced entry to anything only through unlocked door, so mention to debtor to keep all annexe doors locked, and you do same to main house. Otherwise do not engage with bailiff if you can help it.
    It's a civil debt. Yes, I will tell debtor to keep the annexe locked and I will do the same. However, slip ups are easy to make especially with children around.

So is that your advice, "tell him he lives in the annexe and has no property in the main house" or just tell him nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    it is nothing to do with you.!!!

why do you think a bailiff will come??
    HOW do you know?
    I am trying to plan for all possibilities. I have seen the CCJ and expect the next step to be an enforcement warrant.

You do not have to tell him anything. You are being truthful in that you are not the debtor. Just make sure all doors are locked and even if emptying the bin lock the door behind you.

Initially a Bailiff must send a Notice of Enforcement which gives 7 clear days to respond before a visit even takes place.

Follows
    Following

So in all truth there is no bailiff nor enforcement schedule d.

Not all ccj's result in bailiffs

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

There are other and better methods of enforcement which in my view should tried first - Bailiff should be a last resort.

Follows
    Following

Thank you all for your responses. I am better prepared now and feel you have discussed thoroughly enough to put it to rest now. I will update this thread if and when there are significant developments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details