• Tweets

• Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

BA has already explained he cant do that.

its not £275 its £235, but as you didn't get the notice of enforcement either he cant charge that £75 either.

pers i'd be complaining to the council at all the lies you are being told regarding these fees as they ARE responsible for the actions of the bailiffs they employ to do their dirty work.

so as no bailiff enforcement is currently 'in force' as none of the fees can yet be charged...why not see if they'll let you set up an arrangement wit them directly?

might also be worthy to RING your local councillor tomorrow and make a pest of yourself too!!

search for posts by london1971 he has the info in his posts

if you cant find it i'll do it later.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yup,

Find your local Councillor contact details on the web. Email them and

Just explain everything, as you have here, and ask for the Bailiffs to be called off, and all fees cancelled because you never received a Notice Of Assignment. However make sure you say that you are willing to pay any outstanding Council Tax direct to the council.

Do this, and there is a 90% chance of this being solved in the next 24 hours.

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

:whoo:

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

sorry for the delay in replying had no internet, thanks for that info , we moved 180 mile away so probably being thick but do i find my councellor where i live now or the one for back up where the address was previously to contact?

old council

and they

BA has already explained he cant do that.

I am afraid this seems to be incorrect DX

pers i'd be complaining to the council at all the lies you are being told regarding these fees as they ARE responsible for the actions of the bailiffs they employ to do their dirty work.

so as no bailiff enforcement is currently 'in force' as none of the fees can yet be charged...why not see if they'll let you set up an arrangement wit them directly?

might also be worthy to RING your local councillor tomorrow and make a pest of yourself too!!

search for posts by london1971 he has the info in his posts

if you cant find it i'll do it later.

As far as I can see this is incorrect, as the first(compliance) fee £75 is due on receipt by the bailiff of the order.

Stages of enforcement for which fees may be recovered – enforcement other than under High Court writs

5.—(1) The relevant stages of enforcement under an enforcement power which is not conferred by a High Court writ are as follows—

(a)

the compliance stage, which comprises all activities relating to enforcement from the receipt by the enforcement agent of instructions to use that procedure in relation to a sum to be recovered up to but not including the commencement of the enforcement stage;

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• 2 months later...

Hi all , not sure if anyone can help..

.. still got this ongoing issue.

.. I have emailed the councillors for the area (as theres 3) a few times

one email I got a reply saying they had passed info over to relevant department!  

I’ve not heard anything back 

chased it again today, but not holding my breath.

I’ve just received a phone call from the enforcement team saying they were at my door for removal of goods (I’m at work so good luck with that one)  

is my next step citizens advice ?

Or are they a waste of time

Bristol & Suitor are still saying “they can’t remove those charges”  as per my previous posts ..

even though I’ve still not received any letters apart from the one I had off them after my last phone call but that had all the charges on not just the £75..

I don’t know what else to do & it’s starting to get to me that I can’t just sort it out with these idiots.. any help appreciated 

Paying the council in an attempt to avoid fees, will of course not work, never has.

They will just send it on to the bailiff.

Your two choices are to suit it out until the EA sends the account back to the authority.(nulla bona) .At which point the fees will drop off, and you will be left with the original debt.  Conversely you could come to an arrangement with the bailiff to pay him by instalment. If you do this he may want to take control of your goods under a controlled goods agreement. Upto you.

Edited by Dodgeball

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

On 18/01/2019 at 15:56, ericsbrother said:

you need to know when it went to court to give the council the liability order.

being at an old address they probably did this but that also means they may still be chasing the debt at the old address rather than asking the court to change the paperwork.

This menas that you are likely to get a set aside if you apply for one and then you can pay what you owe rather than the fees as well.

Also a poke in the eye for the councl if they knew they were chasing you at the wrong address

You cannot set aside a liability order, it is made at a Magistrates court.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

On 27/03/2019 at 12:43, md13 said:

Hi all , not sure if anyone can help..

Bristol & Suitor are still saying “they can’t remove those charges”  

I don’t know what else to do & it’s starting to get to me that I can’t just sort it out with these idiots.. any help appreciated 

When a new address is located, an enforcement company must abide by Regulation 8 of the Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013 and issue a fresh Notice of Enforcement as outlined in my previous post (number 18).  You mention that Bristow & Sutor are continuing to disagree. Do you  have this in writing?

Edited by Bailiff Advice

For the avoidance of doubt, in order to legally 'take control of goods' or to charge fees, an enforcement agent must issue a Notice of Enforcement and this MUST comply with Regulation 8 which states that the notice will not be considered as being legally served unless it is sent to the debtor:

'At the place, or one of the places, where the debtor USUALLY lives or carries on a trade or business'. 

In your particular case, B&S have undertaken checks and have established that you have moved. In this respect, they should have issued a fresh Notice of Enforcement to the address where you USUALLY live (which is number 6A).  Unless they are willing to do so, the position is very clear. They can neither take control of goods...or charge fees. To do so, would be unlawful.

You may wish to remind the company that unless they are wiling to issue a fresh Notice of Enforcement to your USUAL address (number 6a), that you will be looking to pay the ARREARS direct to the council. 

Edited by Bailiff Advice
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Andyorch said:

Indeed, but really no more than a potayto potahto situation.

7 hours ago, Bailiff Advice said:

You may wish to remind the company that unless they are wiling to issue a fresh Notice of Enforcement to your USUAL address (number 6a), that you will be looking to pay the ARREARS direct to the council. 

Why give them the heads up? If you're advocating just paying direct then surely the OP should just do that rather than give the EA opportunity to add fees.

20 hours ago, otterlyendo said:

Of course you can, otherwise LOs mistakenly imposed could be enforced.

Nope 

One of the reasons liability orders are issued through the magistrates court is that none of the civil CPR apply.

You cannot set aside any magistrates court action. Can you imagine the chaos. if liability orders could be challenged in this way.

1 hour ago, otterlyendo said:

Why give them the heads up? If you're advocating just paying direct then surely the OP should just do that rather than give the EA opportunity to add fees.

Well no. I think when you say set aside most think of the civil precure, this is not the case here, as said CPR does not apply. From the link

Q&A: Setting Aside Liability Orders

Q.       The council is planning to enforce a liability order, but the debtor is seeking to set it aside on the basis that the debt is disputed.  How should we deal with this?

A.      Whilst the magistrates’ court does have the power to re-open criminal cases, there is no corresponding power in respect of non-payment of council tax or business rates, which is a civil matter.  Equally, there are provisions within the Civil Procedure Rules to set aside court orders in the county court and high court, but the CPR do not apply to magistrates’ court proceedings. 

Which I think is what I said.

1 hour ago, otterlyendo said:

World of difference between what BA is saying and what you are suggesting. This is not about avoiding fees, its about showing the EA the possible consequence of his actions.

13 minutes ago, Dodgeball said:

Well no. I think when you say set aside most think of the civil precure, this is not the case here, as said CPR does not apply. From the link

Q&A: Setting Aside Liability Orders

Q.       The council is planning to enforce a liability order, but the debtor is seeking to set it aside on the basis that the debt is disputed.  How should we deal with this?

A.      Whilst the magistrates’ court does have the power to re-open criminal cases, there is no corresponding power in respect of non-payment of council tax or business rates, which is a civil matter.  Equally, there are provisions within the Civil Procedure Rules to set aside court orders in the county court and high court, but the CPR do not apply to magistrates’ court proceedings. 

Which I think is what I said.

Not sure why you stopped there - being a little selective aren't we? The rest of that section says:

Common law route

However, the authority to set aside liability orders has now been established as a common law principle following a series of three cases beginning in 2002.

Etc, etc.

11 minutes ago, Dodgeball said:

World of difference between what BA is saying and what you are suggesting. This is not about avoiding fees, its about showing the EA the possible consequence of his actions.

BA advised the OP to inform the bailiff that if they don't send a new NOE he will pay the arrears direct to the council. This surely means that although the account is with the EA, paying the arrears direct to the council is a valid option, otherwise why even advise it?

17 minutes ago, otterlyendo said:

Not sure why you stopped there - being a little selective aren't we? The rest of that section says:

Common law route

However, the authority to set aside liability orders has now been established as a common law principle following a series of three cases beginning in 2002.

Etc, etc.

Not reallyzsure why you stopped there.

The debtor has no entitlement to do so simply because the liability order is disputed.  In the recent case of Dias v London Borough of Havering [2011] EWHC 172 the court held that even though the majority of liability order proceedings may be viewed as a “rubberstamping” exercise without the protection of a full judicial process and with limited rights of appeal, a bankruptcy court cannot look behind the liability order unless the debtor or interested party is able to demonstrate that it was obtained by fraud, collusion or a miscarriage of justice.

I think you are confusing common law and civil law. Again setting a principle and being able to actually make the complaint are miles apart, if you did read the whole case, it is about a completely different scenari to a member of the public just challenging his bill. You were thinking of making a claim, to the civil court etc. now you seek to enlong you mistake into other teriories wont work this time.

Enough nonesense now.

Edited by Dodgeball

Just now, Dodgeball said:

Not reallyzsure why you stopped there.

The debtor has no entitlement to do so simply because the liability order is disputed.  In the recent case of Dias v London Borough of Havering [2011] EWHC 172 the court held that even though the majority of liability order proceedings may be viewed as a “rubberstamping” exercise without the protection of a full judicial process and with limited rights of appeal, a bankruptcy court cannot look behind the liability order unless the debtor or interested party is able to demonstrate that it was obtained by fraud, collusion or a miscarriage of justice.

I think you are confusing common law and civil law. Again setting a principle and belong able to actually do are miles apart, if you did read the whole case, it is about a completely different scenari0o to a member of the public just challenging his bill. You were thinking of making a claim, to the civil court etc. now you seek to enlong you mistake into other teriories wont work this time.

Enough nonesense now.

Oh for heaven's sake, you've quoted from the section about bankruptcy.

The fact remains that a liability order absolutely can be set aside. Not by the CivPR obviously but by other means, ie LGA 2003 s82. Another part of the page says:

3.             The application to the justices for the order to be set aside must be made promptly after a defendant learns that it has been made or has notice that any order may have been made. Prompt action means a matter of days or at most a very few weeks, not months and certainly not as much as year.

Your earlier advice simply implies that there is no means of removing a LO once in place, even if it's made erroneously.

You were thinking of making a claim, to the civil court etc. now you seek to enlong you mistake into other teriories wont work this time.

Don't recall where I said anything about making a claim. Just merely stating that a LO can be set aside.

Can't decipher the rest of that sentence I'm afraid.

16 minutes ago, otterlyendo said:

BA advised the OP to inform the bailiff that if they don't send a new NOE he will pay the arrears direct to the council. This surely means that although the account is with the EA, paying the arrears direct to the council is a valid option, otherwise why even advise it?

3 minutes ago, otterlyendo said:

Oh for heaven's sake, you've quoted from the section about bankruptcy.

The fact remains that a liability order absolutely can be set aside. Not by the CivPR obviously but by other means, ie LGA 2003 s82. Another part of the page says:

3.             The application to the justices for the order to be set aside must be made promptly after a defendant learns that it has been made or has notice that any order may have been made. Prompt action means a matter of days or at most a very few weeks, not months and certainly not as much as year.

Your earlier advice simply implies that there is no means of removing a LO once in place, even if it's made erroneously. 

What are you talking about the words liability order are mentioned in the quote? That complaint has to be made via the authority, I think you will find and the criteria above still apply. IE not for just saying the bill is wrong, the authority has to agree and send the complaint. Wandering about again, typical.

As for the other silly remark, again BA is talking about continuing the enforcement you are talking about fee avoidance?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks