• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Emma Vs Halifax **WON**

emmaf01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Phoned the Halifax customer relations department (08457 25 35 19), asking if they had received the letter asking for the remaining four charges back.

The woman on the phone was nice, went to ask her manager, who said, as they had already refunded charges, they wouldn't be refunding any more.

My response was "Do you want to bet?"

Made a point of being nice to the customer relations woman though, who was terribly apologetic about the manager's response.

So, on with the claim- looks like they are going to be difficult- but as I never agreed to anything being a full and final settlement (in fact I never signed anything apart from rejection letters), they can huff and puff and pay up when it gets to court.

Because they've said they won't be paying me before- and they were wrong then. And nothing has changed.

In order to clarify the point regarding full and final settlements or claims by Halifax, or any other bank for that matter, that they will not pay any subsequent claims you may make, for any agreement to be binding in English law each party to the agreement must provide what is termed 'consideration'. This simply means something of value in the eyes of the law. When we agree to accept a payment in full and final settlement our consideration consists of a promise not to sue for the remainder of the charges. However, the bank does not provide any consideration because they are only giving back what in law belongs to us. The law does not enforce onesided promises. In order to establish that they have provided consideration the bank would have to prove that the charges were lawful and we know that that just is not going to happen.

Therefore, any agreements made that state they are full and final and confidentiality agreements are not worth the paper they are printed on unless they are made by deed.

You may file as many claims as you wish, but do be aware that Halifax reserves the right to withdraw your banking services or even close your account should they feel that your banking relationship has broken down irretrievably

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to clarify the point regarding full and final settlements or claims by Halifax, or any other bank for that matter, that they will not pay any subsequent claims you may make, for any agreement to be binding in English law each party to the agreement must provide what is termed 'consideration'. This simply means something of value in the eyes of the law. When we agree to accept a payment in full and final settlement our consideration consists of a promise not to sue for the remainder of the charges. However, the bank does not provide any consideration because they are only giving back what in law belongs to us. The law does not enforce onesided promises. In order to establish that they have provided consideration the bank would have to prove that the charges were lawful and we know that that just is not going to happen.

Therefore, any agreements made that state they are full and final and confidentiality agreements are not worth the paper they are printed on unless they are made by deed.

You may file as many claims as you wish, but do be aware that Halifax reserves the right to withdraw your banking services or even close your account should they feel that your banking relationship has broken down irretrievably

ALL NOTE

The account is already closed, so they can "take a running jump".

Thats as polite as get can do, I'm afraid.:p

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Still no word from the Halifax. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to file at the court my credit card balance will be clear, so I can just mcol if I want.

I really don't think they will capitulate on this one, dumb fools.

A well! Another battle.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

The account is already closed, so they can "take a running jump".

Thats as polite as get can do, I'm afraid.:p

THAT WAS FRAIGHTFULLY POLITE!!!!

happy0005.gifhappy0005.gifhappy0005.gifhappy0005.gif

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

I was brought up to be a proper lady!

I hope those aren't your pants that you're waving above your head there, Dursary. Looks a bit naughty!:D

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 3 weeks later...

What the hell is going on with the OFT??????

I know I've only got a small amount still to get back,(thank god), but does this mean that I can't proceed with court action next week?

I have read the OFT questions and answers, and it seems to say everything is on hold until the OFT case is resolved. I still haven't even had an acknowledgment from the Halifax. No wonder, if they had this up their sleeves!

This is mad!!!!!!!!!!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

People should continue to file claims. This does not change that fact. The only thing that has been waived is the FSA complaints procedure. Of course, the courts will doubtless stay any new cases, but claimants are at liberty to apply to have any stays lifted and I think they should do so.

Bear in mind also that this does not apply to any other kind of claim for penalty charges, it appears to be aimed squarely at fees for overdrafts, not credit cards, loans, mortgage penalty fees etc.

File your claim next week as planned.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

OK, hagenuk- the voice of reason, as ever!

I'll proceed as normal. If they do a stay, thats fine. My claim is over six years, but I've got a fee waiver, so I don't mind doing an N1. Whatever happens, I won't lose out. And if it takes two years, that will be two extra years of interest!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Its not your fault- you must have been a VERY young mum!

But you've got four snots- I'll always be playing catch up!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 1 month later...

A quick hello everyone. Sorry I haven't been around for a while- I'm getting building and garden work done, and haven't had time to look at anything.

Work will finish in a couple of weeks hopefully. I'll try to log on regularly and try to catch up with all I've missed!

Hope everyone is okay. I'll be back to normal (or as close as I get to it) soon. Now I'm off to B&Q for a new fire.(Bet you really wanted to know that!)

• Haha 1

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 10 months later...

So I've finally managed to come back to this- between health and house problems, everything had to go on hold.

So I'm going to send a new LBA to the Halifax. I think thats the right thing? And then its N1 as far as I know.

Also my parachute account at the Natwest has gone sour, so if anyone has a recommendation? I need a debit and preferably a £10 buffer.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Hiya Emma.

Its good to see you back. :)

Yes you need to resend your lba, then file at court as normal. The chances are your claim will be stayed, but at least it will be in the system and the daily interest will be added.

Here is a list of all the basic accounts and what they offer.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/13832-do-you-need-parachute.html

Also if your Natwest account has a few charges, i hope your going for them aswell. ;)

Any worries just shout. As usual, we are always around. :D

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

What is the relevance of hardship? Did I hear that can get the stay lifted? Hardship is one thing we've got here in spades!

The problem with the parachute accounts is most of the banks lifted would shoot me on site for taking them to court... and I'm proud of it.:D

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 2 months later...

So due to other financial institutions getting in the way, and after my success at claiming hardship in my dealings with the Natwest (only one charge, but I got it back), I have FINALLY got my backside into gear regarding the Halifax and their remaining charges.

So on the 19th September I sent off a letter, reminding them of my letter from last July 2007. stating I still want my charges back and claiming hardship. I'm giving them the time limits as though this is a new prelim (being far more reasonable than them).

I included an income and expenditure form with the same figures which were satisfactory for the Natwest!

I rand today, but as my account was closed last year, they say they have no info available and have no idea about hardship claims- usual good customer service from the Halifax then.

I think I'll start to hassle them on a regular basis.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

I think I might have a win too v. HBOS!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I couldn't see where to post this?

I followed all the careful advice from this brilliant website and used the template letters etc. and began the process on 26th June 2008. I filled in a hardship Common Financial Statement form which showed that our outgoings exceed our income by about £50 a month (though we don't have any defaults or huge debts) and I claimed £2000 in bank charges going back six years - mainly taken when I lost my job and we were in the middle of a house move and running two houses. I had foolishly taken their invitation to talk about my overdraft limit at which point they reduced it by £400 a month and then we were really struggling.

So, when we didn't hear anything after filling in the hardship form/ Common Financial Statement I called them after about a month and asked for info on how the claim was proceeding. The inference I took was that my call had triggered some part of the process to speed up. I then was put through to someone else and they said that decisions related to these cases would be suspended until January 2009 and I would hear more then.

Inspired by what I've learnt here, I explained that we lived on a very tight budget and asked them to confirm that no action would be taken 'til January 2009 and they said yes. I asked for that fact to be put in writing. There followed a long wait while they checked if they could do that and she then asked if I wanted that letter for a solicitor. I said no it was just for me to know where I stood with this matter. They said they would probably be able to print something out for me and that the case would be reviewed in January. I just assumed that that was the end of it.

That was about 10 days ago. This morning I got an offer for £2001.00 This money the letter says is conditional on it being used to pay off my overdraft £200 and my Halifax credit card debt. So it's a win/win for HBOS too!

I was wondering if this is how the money is repaid generally? Also I wonder if they're going to then take my credit card away though somehow I've never missed a repayment or misused it. I just wouldn't put it past them. Any thoughts gratefully received!

This is a good outcome so far - do I accept it though it's a couple of hundred off what I have claimed from them and what about the stipulation about how the money is used?

Thanks very much for your help and I will be making a donation to the site once the money materialises!

Hi John and glad to hear you are getting somewhere with your claim. I think it raises some questions- I personally would accept it only as a partial settlement and continue to press for the rest.

Do you have a parachute account at an unconnected bank, in case they do close your account or credit card?

Finally, it would be worthwhile to start your own thread about your specific claim, so others can assist and be assisted by your experience. Go to the page for Halifax and Bank of Scotland, then click on the "New Thread" button on the top left of the page (under the headings).

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 4 weeks later...

Word from my local Halifax who have contacted Head Office. My hardship is being assessed as we speak. I should hear in about a week.

I'll believe it when I see it!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 2 weeks later...

Time to ring my local Halifax AGAIN!

I had flu last week so everything went on hold, but I'll be back to my "pitbull without the lipstick" attitude again today!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Well that was the most useless phone call in history. I finally got hold of my case reference for the Halifax and a number to call from my branch (nice people).

I then got to speak to a useless person at Customer Relations who told me my claim was being assessed still. She didn't know how long it would take. She didn't know what the backlog was. She couldn't tell me anything. And she wouldn't pass me on to anyone else who might know something, as she was a customer relations manager and knew everything.

I cannot express how angry she made me. Thye are lucky I don't live near Halifax as I would be standing outside their office, kicking a bollard and shouting now.:D

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 4 weeks later...

Still nowt from the Halifax- I did enquire if they were waiting for me to die of old age!

As I didn't send in letters showing I was being evicted or taked to court, they told me I am not a priority. No I'm just a disabled person trying to get by on Income Support- I can afford to wait apparently.

They are making me so angry every time I ring as they couldn't care less and I don't know what to do. They say the payments are "goodwill" and they have no obligation- I said "So you aren't following the orders of the FSA?"- Stupid idiot said "NO"!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 4 weeks later...

Just before Christmas I finally got a letter from the Halfax, asking me to justify my figures on the I&E!!!!

These are the same figures given to the Natwest in September and accepted by them. I asked how would they like me to justify them- shop receipts?

I have now rung twice- both times the person I spoke to apologised for the letter/delay/general behaviour of the Halifax. I swear they are just delaying tactics- if they keep going long enough they don't have to let go of any cash.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Well I received a new letter today- well no. Some bright spark at the Halifax has just cut and pasted. Well they cut off the end of the previous letter, pasted their name on it and sent it out with a new financial statement!

So this made me angry so I phoned them up (again) and after being on hold for 20 minutes I got an answer.

The Halifax will not being paying me anything because me account is CLOSED.

Now I have spoken to the FOS, though as my charges are over six years old I doubt they can help (but I will try anyway).

Not a good day!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08