EDF have sold previous account holders debt, but debt is still on my meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is an odd and confusing situation but here goes.

I own a house that was rented for a few years, tennant ran up edf debt, and disappeared, I move back in around 2014. Register that account in my name and thought that was that.

2016 comes and I get a letter demanding £2500, they claim that the account was not put back into my name in 2014 even though a new account number was issued, I explain that the other debt it’s nothing to do with me, send in tenancy agreements but they wouldn’t have it.

i stopped getting bills in my name and only in the previous tenants name,

I kept paying what I thought was about right and then was I’ll for quite a while so was unable to work.

One day when finally back at work,

EDF broke in a fitted a key meter and put on the £2500 debt.

The account was then finally put back in my name.

I tried arguing but got nowhere and as I suffer with a few mental health issues which make things challenging when stressed and even the slightest stupid thing can make me really unwell I just gave up fighting

a letter was sent to my address today only on opening could I see it was addressed to the old tenant ,

it was from a company called Avato,

staying that the debt of £2500 from EDF for the period upto 2016 had been sold to them by EDF.

If EDF have sold this debt then they would have received a payment and the money is then no longer payable to EDF but this debt was put on my key meter in 2016.

As the debt has been sold, can I request that it be removed from my meter, and if so what are the chances I will get anywhere ??

Many thanks

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

avato are a powerless DCA you can safely ignore them.

as for the debt

if is was not yours, you shouldn't ever be paying it.

time for an sar….

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply but you missed my point.

EDF refused to accept the fact it was not my debt, and after arguing and sending letters and proof which was not good enough they broke in and fitted a key meter, I’ve done try to argue that one.

My point was they have sold this debt, whether or not the DCA can collect it or not is beside the point, the fact is they have sold it.

My question is, as a result of this sale, should any money received by EDF by the purchase of the debt be taken off the account.

avarto don't buy debts

simply chase for their clients..and that will state EDF.

sadly as you were the owner of the property, ultimately you are responsible for the debt.

you could goto ofgen is it? and complain and prove you were not resident at the time of the debt and you might get somewhere.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...