Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jan 2019

Default Barclaycard - Charges on Charges and credit limit increases

Good afternoon,

In a nut shell.
    Opened a BC CC in Mar 2003.
    Missed a few payments which meant that i incurred Over Credit limit charges.
    Over the course of the next 14 years, it escalated.

Despite missing payments and over credit limit charges, BC doubled my credit limit on 3 occasions, June 2009, March 2011 and March 2014.
    Leading to more financial trouble for myself which was impossible to get away from at the time.

Finally got back on track in 2018 and managed to clear the balance, but still incurring interest and some charges.

Prior to each limit increase, my record with them was nothing short of abysmal, missed payments, over credit limit, when i did pay i was rarely over the miniumum payment.
    38 missed payments and 48 over credit limit from 2009.

My question is, do i have a claim against BC for irresponsible lending?

Regards
    G

Default Re: Barclaycard - Charges on Charges and credit limit increases

poss not your credit file and other borrowing and defaults would dictate that.

however , you appear to have a good cause for a penalty charges reclaim
    and a good chance at winning at court too.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Thank you for your reply Dx.

How far back could a penalty charge redress go back to?

I have completed a CI sheet with all Late and over limit charges back to 2003...?

use 24.9%
    yes people like shelley and martin2006 went back that far.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Thanks. Sorry to be a pain, but I am pretty much new to court action, so may need my hand holding on this.

So CI figures come out at

Total Charges, 1180
    CI, 10767.16

these figures are based on actual statements for the length of the account.

Follows
    Following

well without seeing data how would we know?

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

What do you need to see Dx...?

example statement and cisheet
    you can uploadicon .xls directly via mange attachments after removing pers info.
    statement as PDFicon

read upload

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Hi Greg and welcome to CAGicon

You should reclaim as far back as you have data for.

However, BC may not repay now like they have historically. They may defend and use recent Case Law (some would say wrongly) to their advantage.

Research is the key word for now. The claim should be under 10K to stay on small claimsicon track so using the right interest rate may help with that.

See the **WON** threads here for starters - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...wich-successes

Most of what you need is there but you may need to adjust your tactics to take account of more recent cases, including failures.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Morning Dx, Slick

Thanks for your message slick, i will contnue reading through them.

In the meantine, CI sheet and example statement attached.
    I have statements from the first day the account was opened.

Thanks

Attached Files Attached Files

looks all good to me
    is the account still live and they charged int all the way through till you settled?

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Yep, 2nd to last statement attached, the last statement shows the final payment and the balance at zero.

So what are the next steps....?

Attached Files Attached Files

Basic Account Holder

Morning guys

I am just putting together the pre lim letter.
    Slick, you mentioned to keep the claim below 10k.

If i remove the first 3 charges, it makes the figures. Charges = 1116 and CI = 8758.54. Total 9874.54.

Would this be ok?

What interest rate are you using on the Compound Int't spreadsheet ?

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !
    Follows
    Following

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Yep
    24.9%

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2006

Blog Entries

If I could just come in here to suggest that if you could find another way to keeping the claim to less than 10,000, it might give you more leeway, be less risky in terms of court fees and allow you to "feel the temperature of the water".

Firstly, the amount that you seem to be claiming is almost at the small claimsicon limit. You certainly won't be able to add 8% interest on it because that will take you beyond the limit.

I'm not sure whether it is possible in your case you will have to look at it and discuss it with the others who are helping you here. However, if you have able to consider breaking down your claim into multiple claims each one addressing a particular chronology then your claim might be in much smaller manageable chunks. Of course, it would mean multiple claims but on the other hand it might be much more comfortable for you and also less interesting for the bank to start pulling out the big guns in order to beat you down.

I haven't read this thread very carefully but it seems to me that broadly there were three occasions when they raised your limit. I think that you are saying that each time they were acting irresponsibly and they should not of done so.

I'm wondering whether you could address each one of these specific periods in a separate claim so that you might bring a claim for, say, 2000 in respect of one particular period. Then assuming that you are successful in that one, bring another claim for another section of your chronology.

I don't know if this is a practical possibility in your case. I'm just suggesting another way of looking at what you are trying to do. The advantage of course would be that there would be lower court fees for each claim although I suppose the total of three court fees would add up to more than the one large one but at least it would be in smaller chunks. Also if you lost on one, then your exposure would be less. Also there would be a learning curve from which you would benefit for the future claims. Of course a disadvantage would be that the whole procedure could go on for 18 months or so. You need to weigh up the benefits and disbenefits.

As I have said, I'm not at all familiar with what you are doing and what your position is so maybe what I'm suggesting is completely impracticable.

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

What would the total claim be if you used 19.9% on the Comp Int spready.

Also, I see you had PPIicon on the a/c from the sample statement you posted above. Have you looked at reclaiming this as well ?

And I've moved your thread into the BC forum.

Thanks !
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

That could work BankFodder.
    Not sure if i would be able to do two claims though, could BC put a settlement clause in, saying that no further claims are available after the first one?
    Slick may have experience of this....

At 19.9% Slick
    Charges = 1180
    CI = 6029.34
    Total = 7209.34

Basic Account Holder

PPIicon Slick.

Yep, But i have only managed to get the additional commission under the Plevin ruling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details