Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jan 2013

Default Booked holiday with a friend and canít go

Hi All

Unsure if you can help and if this is the right section, but any advice appreciated. I have seen similar posts when I googled but not one exactly like it.

My wife agreed to go on holiday with 3 friends (a family) staying in 2 rooms but cannot make it. She has agreed to pay them for the flighticon which is non refundable but the hotel is refundable up to the night before the stay. Itís around £460 pp for 5 days. My wife cancelling means the other single will have to pay a room supplement at that hotel. They have 3 weeks before they were due to go.

As soon as my wife told her ďfriendsĒ she couldnít go they immediately they went off the handle and started threatening small claimsicon before she even mentioned paying or not. At first I was saying ďjust pay it allĒ, but looking at some of these aggressive texts and now constant phone callsicon Iíd rather not pay.

What is everyoneís opinion on the hotel?

Itís as much the moral as legal situation I am looking for.

This feels like something out of Jeremy Kyle, very petty and quite embarrassing.

Thanks

D

Default Re: Booked holiday with a friend and canít go

Very good, sympathetic friends!
    The only thing they would be worse off is the hotel single supplement.
    That's what at a push you could give them.
    Then never contact them again.

Basic Account Holder

Cagger since : Mar 2011

You certainly find out who your friends are!

So if your wife pays them the non-refundable airfare and the single room supplement the other 3 in the party will not have to pay a penny more than if your wife had been able to go? In which case just pay it, even if their behaviour about it has been childish. Their behaviour doesn't justify refusing to pay them, however tempting it might be. Take the moral high ground.

Then find some new friends

Is the reason your wife cannot go something that might be covered by the Cancellation cover in a Travel Insurance Policy (if she has a policy)?

And what would be their reason for going to small claimsicon? Your wife said she will pay the airfare in full. The hotel can be cancelled and rebooked, so no loss there. They wont be able to sue for the difference between a current hotel booking and the new one.

But if the supplement is only small, i would say to just pay it if she doesnt want to deal with a drawn out legal challenge or them harassing her etc.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Cagger since : Jan 2013

Thanks all

I think the supplement is basically the full payment.

I canít believe their behaviour. Literally turned nasty. Wife is in bits. The way and language they are demanding the full payment makes loan sharks look passive!

As said I was going to pay it all as a goodwill and ďhey weíre friendsĒ but the way they are demanding makes me think that they can just go and cancel the hotel and rebook for a budget they can afford without my wife. I just wasnít sure if there is any ďlossĒ since they can cancel the hotel.

If they are being extremely abusive and threatening i would think about calling 101. Since the hotel is can be cancelled without penalty, theyve suffered no loss and can get another hotel or room. After all, your wife has already agreed to pay the airfare in full, which would be a sizeable amount.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

who is saying the flighticon is not refundable?

moved to the holidays and airline forum

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Remember that I got the flight taxes back on a non refundable booking.
    It was the airline who contacted me, so probably they have to refund taxes even on non refundable flightsicon.
    Check that out.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details