Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jan 2019

Default Re: Abbey Life - Past Business Review Annuity Questionnaire

Thank you HB

This part I thought about adding in the text for the SARicon.

Important note - this must include -

(a) The original contract between ourselves.
    (b) Reference - The final Retirement Benefits Quotation for the Plan Number ............

Please confirm - this was calculated based on contributions paid by Abbey Life, under the waivericon of Contributions scheme, up until the date of my retirement?

The reason I am requesting this is because these final figures do not compare at all with the 29th May 1991 estimated benefits payable assuming contributions continue at £82.46 per month at age 65. They are more similar to those quoted as if payments stopped after accident.

(c) Please confirm that Life Cover was also active to the date of retirement.

The reason being they can provide me with copies of what I have but still in my mind I wonder if they miscalculated the final figure because of previous errors.

No sorry I have omitted to ask that in the SAR - will add that to it that could be point (d)

MBA Group is who the envelope is addressed to who are handling the Abbey Life Questionnaires.

Basic Account Holder

P.S.

Will put for -

(d) Transcript of phone callsicon.

Note: The first sentence of the SARicon states - Please supply me with copies of all the data which you hold on me in relation to any matter and in any form and for any period of time. I think I thought that also included phone calls.

Thank you HB

Hi. I wouldn't put this in myself, they don't need to know why you're asking. I don't know if it would put them on the back foot, but as I said, you're asking questions at this point.

The reason I am requesting this is because these final figures do not compare at all with the 29th May 1991 estimated benefits payable assuming contributions continue at £82.46 per month at age 65. They are more similar to those quoted as if payments stopped after accident.

I agree, that sentence is also asking for phone callsicon, don't think you need to add to that.

HB

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

So even though we are wondering if there is an error - on SARicon -

1. Take out our questions.
    2. Wait for all info to come.

When it arrives -

3. Next ask for confirmation on their calculations i.e was Waiver of Contributions paid until retirement?

4. Information should also have transcript of phone callsicon. If there is nothing to indicate they suggested an enhanced annuity could be available elsewhere. That makes claim easier.

Finally, would you write to MBNA (Abbey Life Questionnaire) to check no closure date for questionnaire to be returned? Could say we are waiting for information from Abbey Life.

Thank you again HB

I've asked someone to look in on this, but I think taking out your questions could be the right way to go. When I said it might need amending, I meant to be appropriate for your case rather than narrowing the documents you're asking for.

As I understand it, the SARicon is an open question so that they send you all the information they have on your husband's pension plan.

Hopefully one of the team will comment.

HB

Follows
    Following

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2006

Blog Entries

The best approach to sending an SAR is to keep it as general as possible.
    If you describe precisely what you want then you limit the scope of the enquiry. That means that there could be stuff missing and they might reasonably be able to say that it wasn't asked for.

That's why in my view, an SAR should simply ask for "all personal dataicon in any form… including screen notes, correspondence both internal and external, call logs and call recordings…on any matter"

There's really no need to to start to obsess about the form of words. The important thing when you get an SAR is to check what's there – and also check what's not there.

Don't give them any clues.

It's very much the same when drafting a particulars of claim for a county courticon action. Keep it is general and is open as possible whilst identifying the cause of action. After that, don't give any clues that might provide cues for the defence.

Who said any of it was an honourable business?

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Thank you both of you. So the plan -

1. Forward the exact copy of the SARicon with Customer Ref/Policy Number.

2. I am worried that not returning the form could cause an issue - could we miss out an claiming enhanced annuity? So shall I do as I say - ask if there is a closure date? So we are waiting for requested information from Abbey Life.

Hi Gilly.

Fwiw, I don't think you're claiming an enhanced annuity now, I think you would have done that 10 years ago if you'd known. As I understand the compensation, Abbey Life have to put you in the position you would have been in financially if you'd been able to buy an enhanced annuity, ie a lump sum to make up the difference. Assuming you would have qualified for an enhanced annuity at the time.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can undo the annuity you bought with Abbey.

HB

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Ok - it may be the way I am wording all this - but

First - I am sending the SARicon tomorrow exactly as it is worded.

Secondly - I do understand it could mean we get a lump sum - if we qualify. Hence - maybe we send off questionnaire answering to the best of our ability. (99.9% sure there will not be anything from Abbey Life in transcripts etc talking about our health and that we could shop around.)

Thirdly - maybe I am misunderstanding how enhanced annuity works. I thought they would look at the figure i.e. total of pension at retirement to then buy an enhanced annuity.

So the more money in your pension pot at that time dictates what the value of the enhanced annuity is. Doesn't it work like that? (Only that's why I am thinking if they made a mistake with the pension value it will affect the annuity lump sum compensation if we are entitled.)

I am so grateful for all this support and I apologize if I am not grasping this as quickly as i should.

Hi.

Your 'thirdly' point. The value of your pension is what it is at your chosen retirement age, it doesn't change depending on your state of health.

That fund value is then used to buy an annuity. You may not have seen this process because Abbey got you to take their annuity but at the time you could have asked annuity providers on the open market to quote you for an alternative annuity, possibly an enhanced one. Abbey said that they didn't provide enhanced annuities at the time, didn't they?

Again I could be wrong, but I think any compensation would be calculated on the income you have missed out on since 2009 and presumably in the future, payable as a lump sum.

HB

Follows
    Following

Here's a link from the Money Advice service that tells you how the open market option should work. This would have been the same in 2009 if you'd known what options you had.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...for-an-annuity

HB

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Good morning HB - I am sending off SARicon this morning without any additions or changes.

Can I quote what you said please - Your 'thirdly' point. The value of your pension is what it is at your chosen retirement age, it doesn't change depending on your state of health. That fund value is then used to buy an annuity.

1. I fully understand what you are saying.

2. My point is the value of my husbands pension could and I say 'could be' calculated incorrectly in March 2009

For example - I will just quote two figures from their 1991 forecast for a Lower Illustration Growth Rate of 8.5% and 13.00%.

(a) At age 65, assuming no further contributions paid - Retirement Fund of £11,500 or £23,500

(b) At age 65, assuming further contributions paid by Abbey Life - Retirement Fund of £46,300 or £78,400

On the 2 February 2009 - Quotation for options an Open Market Option is £27,285.03

So ...... looking at past issues ...... It is only seeing letters just making me 'wonder' for example -

6th January 2007 - Our letter to Abbey Life

We are writing because of their 'mess up' taking out life contributions from our bank because they were paying it under the waivericon conditions. Our first paragraph states -

'Thank you for your letter dated 3 January 2007. Upon reading the contents of this letter I am seriously concerned about the administration of my financial affairs.'

4th December 2008 - Their letter to my husband

Requesting Doctors Statement be returned. The request was on 7th Feb 2007 and it was returned on 12th Feb 2007. So....... over 1 year later they come up with that request!

Again thank you HB this support is so helpful to at least be able to work through it all in our heads.

Hi. I'm pleased you're getting there.

I understand your questions; this is the kind of thing the SARicon is designed to get information about. I would wait and see what comes back and see if it answers any of your questions. After that you can go back to them with further queries.

What are you going to do about the annuity questionnaire?

HB

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Hello

I thought about doing another recorded delivery letter to that MBA address where questionnaire goes to. Saying something like -

On 10th January 2019, I have contacted Abbey Life for some information. I would prefer to wait for Abbey Life to respond before completing questionnaire. Please confirm, in writing, if you are happy for this questionnaire to be put on hold for the time being?

Then surely that gives them the opportunity to say there is a closing date - doesn't it?

You see HB - if - the completed questionnaire instigated a compensation payment - what if there had been an error? The figure for the compensation could be different - who knows......

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hello again.

I don't really have personal experience of this. I don't see why there should be a cut off date as they don't seem to have rushed to contact you, but you never know.

At this stage, I think it could be worth contacting TPAS to see if they can add anything. They have a good reputation and the advice is free, you can ask them about the questionnaire and Abbey's possible error.

https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/

HB

Follows
    Following

Incidentally, did you query the figures with Abbey back in 2009?

Also, I'm confused about MBA's involvement because you spoke to Abbey about the questionnaire.

HB

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

No we did not query figures back in 2009.

First my step-father died in April 2007 and our mother was left on her own. Then suddenly in the July/August I was given the total shock diagnosis that I had an aggressive form of breast cancer. That meant an operation, chemo (loss of hair) radiotherapy and then 18 i.v. infusions (3 week intervals) of Herceptin.

Basically it took two years of treatment and then intensive checks every 6 months. It took five years before I was discharged and thankfully I am still here.

So my husband's pension was just allowed to be in the background - maybe because we were not having to find the money each month it was not priority. (I think when he saw the 'payout' figures he thought that's what it is.) Not only that my mother then relied on us.

MBA Group envelope has Abbey Life stamped on top of envelope. I asked the Abbey Life person we spoke to on the phone and I think he said they were 'employed' to deal with these questionnaires.

I will tomorrow phone the advice line through the link you have given me.

How did you get on with TPAS, Primrose?

HB

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Well tried at different times but so busy. Didn't do a call back as we had an appointment at vets with our little dog at 2.30. Tried online chat - but 'we' both decided best via phone line. So will phone again Monday morning at 9 a.m. as they are only open Mon-Fri. I have an app at 11.00 for myself but if no joy on first attempt will phone when I get back and I can book a 'call back' Thank you for asking.

Good luck, I hope you get through tomorrow.

HB

Follows
    Following

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details