Car sold with Mileage Discrepancy

Chad8877
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1879 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

just want some feedback with regards to where I stand,

I purchased my car in October 2016 from a reputable car supermarket.

The car had 103k miles on it at the time and I purchased it for £7000.

I took finance through a company and have had the car for 26 months now.

I have 10 payments left before car is mine.

Today I wanted to go car shopping and thought I would go and have a look at a few cars and see what price I would get for mine.

I visited a garage and they began to put a valuation onto my car

after doing so the guy came back to me and said sorry we cannot have your car as it has a mileage discrepancy.

I am not aware of this

I asked to see there hpi report that he produced.

In August 2015 it went for mot and had 76k on it.

It then went to the manufacturer for whatever reason in Jan 2016 and the car had 126k on it,

it then went back to the manufacturer for work in May 2016 and it had 95k

then it had a mot in August 2016 at 100k before it was sold to me in October 2016.

Am I legally entitled to fight this case ?

as though it has been 2 years I never knew of this and if I had I wouldn’t have purchased the vehicle.

I am now stuck as no one will buy my vehicle with mileage discrepancy on even though the garage who sold it to me did not declare anything to me.

I have all invoices at time of sale and it has the mileage what was on car at time of sale.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

I suspect that an entry mistake was made when the vehicle went to the 'manufacturer' in January 2016. Does it look as if it could have travelled 50,000 miles in the 5 months since its Mot in August?

You need to take it to the manufacturer's franchise dealer to have its history checked as it could be that this visit and that in May, were for a recall.

They may well have servicing history as well to show that this January figure is an anomaly.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

The car was a fleet car so at the moment that cannot be ruled out. If it was in fact a mistake but do the company who I purchased it from aware of this prior to selling it to me as they clearly stated hpi clear and gave me a print out of page 1 of the hpi and not both pages.

What car and year is it

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I suspect that an entry mistake was made when the vehicle went to the 'manufacturer' in January 2016. Does it look as if it could have travelled 50,000 miles in the 5 months since its Mot in August?

You need to take it to the manufacturer's franchise dealer to have its history checked as it could be that this visit and that in May, were for a recall.

They may well have servicing history as well to show that this January figure is an anomaly.

This would not be relevant to the question of whether or not there was a breach.

On the basis of what you say, they are in breach.

The retailer you purchased it from had a responsibility to tell you if there was a discrepancy. When HPI checks are performed they can check the mileage aswell, you will be able to find out from HPI whether they checked the mileage and chose NOT to tell you.

A mileage discrepancy will always put a cloud over the genuineness of car and reduced its value considerably.

I would contact the retailer (be nice) and explain your situation, put it in writing aswell. Tell them you want them to clarify the mileage. You want written clarification from the owner at the time that the mileage is correct... And you want the discrepancy removed from the database.

If they cannot oblige the above you have every right to reject the car for being fundamentally NOT as described.

The problem is that in Jan 2016 the car had 126k miles, then went down to 95k.

So possibly the 126k figure was wrongly recorded by VW.

To remedy, ask them to run a vag-com history log which would highlight any "clocking".

I bet they simply took the wrong reading.

They can amend their records to reflect this, but it should be free to you.

So go to the VW garage that did the work in Jan 2016 and ask them to run their software on the car.

If they changed oil and reset the counter, this should be recorded in the log and correct mileage would be there.

This would be the case for any other work which involved plugging the vag-com in, so virtually everything nowadays.

The problem is that in Jan 2016 the car had 126k miles, then went down to 95k.

So possibly the 126k figure was wrongly recorded by VW.

To remedy, ask them to run a vag-com history log which would highlight any "clocking".

I bet they simply took the wrong reading.

They can amend their records to reflect this, but it should be free to you.

So go to the VW garage that did the work in Jan 2016 and ask them to run their software on the car.

If they changed oil and reset the counter, this should be recorded in the log and correct mileage would be there.

This would be the case for any other work which involved plugging the vag-com in, so virtually everything nowadays.

this sounds like a very sensible solution if it can be done completely at the supplier's expense and you come away with a completely clean slate.

If not, then we will help you to consider some suitable action

After thinking about it logically and how this is starting to pan out I’ve come to the conclusion that this cannot be a mistake, they were simply not aware that when the vehicle went to the main dealer for whatever reason the party who had the car at the time did not realise that the mileage would be recorded and probably still don’t know what happened. Definitely a clocking issue, there’s no mistake in that.

you may well be right but as there has now been suggested a way to verify whether or not it is a mistake or a reclocking problem, you need to do this and then come back to you and we can advise as to what action to take

I repeat my post at #2 Now we know that it is a Golf, Go to ANY VAG dealer/service centre who will be able to interrogate the vehicle.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

There yer go!

Get them to contact HPI for a correction or addition of explanatory note.

Edited by Gick
additions

Typical Motor Trade.

Guilty until proven innocent.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

• 1 month later...