Council PCN with wrong VRN

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1846 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys need a bit of advice please.

I got a Penalty Charge Notice the other day from Wirral Council, I popped onto the website to pay but couldn't get the page to accept my details, thats when i notice that they have put the wrong VRN on the PCN.

my Reg is DB12*** they have put DB18***

Looking at the VRN they have put on the ticket it doesn't exist with DVLA

When i put the wrong VRN details into the Wirral Parking website i can see that they have a picture of the correct VRN but the picture is just a close up of the VRN and doesn't show the vehicle illegally parked.

whats my best way round this??

I was going to log on and dispute the PCN under the grounds of the wrong VRN that is on the PCN within the first 14 days and get the inevitable ball rolling?? or is it best to do nothing for now and wait for them to make the next move?

Eagerly waiting your reply's

Cheers Steve

You've got lucky. You don't need to do anything, and you will never hear from them again.

They can only charge the person who is the owner of DB18*** - and that's not you. They can't issue another PCN with a different VRN, and they can't identify and charge you via the photos. You're in the clear.

Wrong VRN is fatal, they cannot issue a corrected pcn,

You can either do nothing, meanwhile they will chase the other registered owner, assuming that VRN exists.

Or write to them and say you found PCN no. xxx on your car which doesn't relate to your vehicle or any vehicle you have ever owned. They'll realise they've cocked up and cancel the PCN, but at least they won't chase an innocent motorist who has nothing to do with it.

Keep the PCN safe, in case they try to issue an NTO.

I wouldn't bother writing. I don't see they would drop a PCN on the strength of a letter, or everyone would be sending them.

If the OP is right, and there's no such vehicle, they will apply to DVLA for keeper details, draw a blank and write it off.

Cheers guys. What happens if they notice the mistake and come after the correct VRN in the picture? Can I just say that it is just a picture of my reg number and dosen't show I'm illegaly parked?

• 2 months later...
On 22/12/2018 at 14:07, v5uk said:

Cheers guys. What happens if they notice the mistake and come after the correct VRN in the picture? Can I just say that it is just a picture of my reg number and dosen't show I'm illegaly parked?

Short answer is ... They can't!

They cannot re-issue another PCN unless at the time of the contravention.  What I would say is they you do tell them and they can simply cancel the one issued in error. They will probably thank you for telling them (I think)? LOL

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--