• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

No response TE7, TE9 Dart Charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Having read a few horror stories, I just wanted to see if anyone could provide some advice to prevent some unwanted Bailiffs turning up.

In summary:

• I used the Dartford crossing and did not pay the £2.50 Dart charge until the day after the following day (c.12 hours of of time)
  • I received a PCN c.2 months later which I admittedly did not do a huge amount with having believed I had paid it and, on a cursory glance, had actually believed was a receipt (...I know...)
  • I then received a charge certificate in October which I did nothing with straight away as I received it whilst out of the country and it didn't get looked at for a while
  • I then received an Order for Recovery which required action by the 27/11/2018
  • I submitted TE7 and TE9 in the evening of the 26/11/2018 so within time frame

Not withstanding the fact I believe I have a reasonable case for the fine being dropped given I did pay, albeit late, and the amount of charge is incorrect, it is now the 18th December, some 22 days after I submitted the TE7 and TE9 and I have heard no further word on the matter. If I need to pay up then so be it but I would like to avoid huge extra costs being lumped on because I have missed some nuance in the process etc.

I have my entire family round for Christmas and the last thing I want is bailiffs turning up and distraining the turkey.

Are there any preventative measures I can take now? All advice appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

If you paid the Dart Charge after midnight the day after the crossing then unfortunately, your payment will not have been used to pay the crossing. Instead, it will remain as a credit on the Dart Charge system to be used when making a further crossing in the same vehicle.

You received the Order for Recovery and at that stage, you could have submitted a simple Witness Statement (TE9). Unfortunately, given your comments above (that you HAD received all the Statutory Notices), I cannot see that you would have had 'grounds' in which to submit a WS.

Despite not having grounds, you have nonetheless filed an Out of Time witness statement which appears to have been processed. You have stated that you have heard nothing further on the matter. Did you send the TE7 and TE9 by email or by post? If by email, you should have received an email from the Traffic Enforcement Centre to acknowledge receipt. Did you receive this?

PS: Out of interest, what did you state on the TE7?

Many thanks for this.

Yes, I submitted both the TE7 and TE9 by email on the 26th and received an email receipt from TEC on the same day.

I appreciate my grounds for appeal may not be seen as concrete... if I have to pay then so be it.

What I am seeking to avoid is an acceleration of the recovery process to the extent I get some high viz heavies at my door over Christmas. If the axe falls unfavourably, I'll settle. I'm just concerned that, having not heard anything, there may be a process in train that I should be aware of but am not which results in additional costs being lumped in and / or bailiffs turning up.

Additionally, if the next stage is to receive something in the post, I don't want to fall foul of deemed service timescales when we are in the midst of the Christmas post!

Is there any way to check the progress of my appeal? Or any action I can take to force an early response?

In answer to your question on the content of the TE7, my grounds were: (i) I was out of the country between 27/09/18 - 15/10/18 and did not see PCN dated 10/10/18 for some time; and (ii) on brief inspection of the PCN, I genuinely believed it was a further receipt given I had already paid the original charge in question in August 2018 and had received a bona fide receipt for it at the time (receipt provided).

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

I am pleased to hear that you have received an email acknowledgment from the Traffic Enforcement Centre. The Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC) would have sent copies of your forms to Highways England (HE) on 27th November.

On receipt, Highways England would have been instructed to suspend enforcement of the warrant until a decision has been reached. They (HE) are given 19 business days (almost a month) to notify the Traffic Enforcement Centre if they wish to OPPOSE your application. Given the Christmas holiday period, you should expect to receive a letter from TEC some time towards mid January.

Great, thank you for this.

Just looking at my calendar, I calculate a 19 working day period from the 27th November (assuming normal UK bank holidays) to expire at midnight on Christmas Eve! What a good stocking filler.

Couple of queries on this:

1) Do you think it's reasonable to assume that what is good for the goose is good for the gander and that the HE have to stick to usual working days (inc. public holidays) over the Christmas period?

2) Assuming (1) is a yes, will the HE be timed out if they have not notified TEC that they wish to oppose by the 27th November?

2) What does this mean in practice - is the penalty simply dropped?

3) Can I request some sort of summary judgement / finding from TEC on the 27th rather than waiting for a letter?

Again, thanks in advance. This really is most helpful!

Regards

Although HE (or any other local authority) have 19 business days to respond, the Traffic Enforcement Centre will then have the task of PROCESSING their response.

If Highways England OPPOSE your application, the Traffic Enforcement Centre will then refer your case to a Court Officer for a decision. The time period for 'processing' responses is usually around 2 weeks. Given the Christmas holiday period, you should expect to receive a letter outlining the decision in around mid January so no need to panic.

Ok, thank you. I'll wait and see what the postman brings and might trouble you for some additional views if I've not heard anything by mid January.

Merry Christmas and thank you for your time and advice.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hi there BA

Thought you'd like to hear the update:

TEC have copied me in on an order to Dart Charge Customer Services confirming that I had correctly filed the stat dec / witness statement. Pleasingly they are now ordering that the order for unpaid penalty charge be revoked and the charge certificate is cancelled.

The original PCN has not been cancelled though and I need to contact Dart Charge to look at this... as they "may well take further action". They also note specifically that "The Authority [Dart Charge] should inform you as soon as possible if it intends to do so".

Going to try and get on the front foot with Dart Charge now and see if they will cancel the original PCN...here's hoping!

All tips / advice welcome...